“Quality Starting to Slide”
Review of The Booker-Lewis

and 1 more site!
The Booker-Lewis
Ranked #1 of 2 Leesville B&B and Inns
Lexington, Kentucky
“Quality Starting to Slide”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Service is always great! HOWEVER, don't know if there's been a change in chefs, restaurant owners are taking their customers for granted, or some other excuse but recent meals at the Booker-Lewis have been disappointing. I travel through Leesville regularly and the hotel & restaurant was one of my favorite stops when in the area. But recent meals have been served lukewarm, rice overcooked and scraped from the pot bottom, side dish vegetables overcooked or dry and bland.The Booker-Lewis buildings are wonderful restorations and they anchor the neighborhood but there needs to be a menu and chef redeux, I fear.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Soul,

I sincerely appreciate your being our guest and for taking the time to write this review. I have reviewed it with our Executive Chef and his staff to correct these issues and to prevent them from happening again. I do hope you will visit us again. We will get it right!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Went for dinner, my girlfriend and I both ordered appetizers, steaks, dessert, and a bottle of wine. The service was GREAT, The environment was very clean with the exception of a large spider web by our table and numerous fruit flies bothering us throughout our meal. The food was the main reason for the low rating. The steaks were very bland and overcooked, Outback steakhouse has much better steaks. The side item of "green beans wrapped in bacon", which was $4, was a small bundle of 8 green beans wrapped in 1 VERY thin barely noticeable "strip of bacon", and were also very bland. The wine was something our waiter recommended and was an overpriced aluminum screw off top bottle that was very low quality for, $29? i believe. I had high hopes for The Booker Lewis house, but for a $120+ meal I expect MUCH better. Very disappointed. If it was not for the great service I would have rated them 1 star.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Kevin,

Thank you for writing this review detailing your experience at our restaurant. Even though we strive to exceed our guest's expectations, it is clear that we failed during your visit. We did receive produce the week of your visit that brought the flies in. We have eliminated that problem and have taken steps to prevent this from happening again. I have reviewed your concerns about our food quality and portion size with our Executive Chef. He is working our kitchen staff to insure our quality is right every time.

Again I thank you for taking the time to let us know of your experience. It helps us get better.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I enjoyed our stay on the intimate Booker-Lewis resort this week. Situated in the historic district near downtown Leesville, it is a group of refurbished old homes that exude small town charm. The property owners have carefully created a delightful get-away that is a much more enjoyable experience than the chain hotels located around town. In addition, the restaurant features tasty selections at reasonable prices. All of the staff were super friendly.

We plan to be back in Leesville every month or so to visit our daughter and family stationed at Fort Polk. Without a doubt, we have found the best place in town for food and lodging.

Room Tip: Robert, the owner, was helpful in guiding us to choose the best room to suit our tastes.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Mrfamilyvacation,

Thank you so much for choosing our property while staying in Leesville and for taking the time to write about your experience here. My Staff really works hard to make everything 'just right' for our guests and will be happy to hear you were so pleased.

I'm Glad to know you will be returning to our area again and we look forward to seeing you then!
New Orleans
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My second time staying at the Booker Lewis in the past 6 months and it was as great as the first time. I would never consider staying anywhere else when in this area. Try it, you will not be sorry. Inn Keepers room is my favorite.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Dixie,

Thank you so much for choosing our property for your stays and for letting us know about your experiences. Our staff does work very hard to exceed our guest's expectations and I'm glad that made your experience so memorable.
DeRidder, Louisiana
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I used to live in the neighborhood that this hotel/restaurant was in back before this home was refurbished. It used to be a condemned building but had beautiful potential. The owner has done a wonderful job refurbishing this place. Great romantic setting in a historic home. The meal here was outstanding! On par with meals I have had in top restaurants New Orleans and cheap! $15-20 dollars per meal. I just couldn't believe the price for the caliber of meal I received. I immediately wanted to go back the next day and eat here it was that good. This place is a hidden jem in the Leesville area. A MUST EAT/SEE IF IN THE LEESVILLE/FORT POLK AREA!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuperDork
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Super,

Thanks for the great feedback and for being our guest! Your comments bring back old memories of how the neighborhood was before we started renovation. Times have indeed changed. Hope to have you back as our guest in the near future.
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 9 February 2014

All I can say is this restaurant is a life-saver oasis in the middle of a very hopeless military town. If not for this place to go often, I don't think I could make it with the terrible restaurants in Leesville, La. Not only is it a unique place to dine, it is a wonderful B & B to spend couple days.

We always feel like our evening is special when we dine at this place, great well prepared food, excellent staff that makes you feel special-- wine list is excellent and Martini's are very good price and perfectly prepared.

I would highly recommend Booker-Lewis, hidden away in older part of town. Breakfast & lunch also very good since there is no decent place to eat breakfast in this town except chain places. I can't wait til good weather starts so we can sit outside at the Pub or screen porches. I just wish the bar opened earlier for wine with lunch or early evening drink around 3 or 4 pm. Otherwise, it is a super, super place to dine and stay. Get on their newsletter and stay up-to-date on events also.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear roadhound1,

Thank you so much for the awesome review and for being our guest! Our staff loves hearing how they did and are always working to improve our guest's experiences. We are planning to extend the hours of the pub as the weather improves. Thanks for the suggestion!

Robert
Hammonton, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I chose this hotel while working in Leesville for the week because it fit within my per diem where the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express did not (strange). What I found when I got there was a charming Bed and breakfast type hotel. The room was spacious and old style charm. I had Callie's Room. I recommend it. Walking shower, jacuzzi tub and spacious. The only drawback if any is it is directly above the restaurant. A little noisy at night but no big deal.
The restaurant is known as the best in Leesville. I would give it a 3 out of 5 for fine dining. They do try to make it high end. The cocktail lounge is in the building next door, so when ordering a drink with dinner, better make it a double as to save your server some time. All in all it's a nice place and a change of pace from the norm for me. Checking in latte at night is an issue as the desk in not staffed 24/7 so get there earlier.

Room Tip: Callie's Room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
BookerL, Owner at The Booker-Lewis, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear Randyofht,

Thanks for choosing our hotel while staying in Leesville. We're also very grateful for your positive feedback about your stay. We do hope to have you back as our guest in the near future.