“Fantastic wedding venue!”

Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nately Scures
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We held our wedding at the Barcelo on 29th May 2011. After worrying about having our wedding in a hotel, there was no need to. Everything was wonderful, the staff were so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We were made to feel extremely special, from the moment we booked right up until we left. The suite we stayed in was clean,large and beautifully furnished. The food was great, everything came out really hot and extremely well presented. Our guests all commented what a wonderful day it was and said they would like to come back and have a meal or spa treatments. For those of you on a lemonade budget but want a champagne wedding, this is a brilliant option!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
BarceloGM, General Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Wow, thanks for that fabulous review, we are so pleased you had such a wonderful day.
Please tell all your friends and family to recommend us!

Hope to see you back in the hotel again soon

Reviewed 27 June 2011

good location to explore surrey and hampshire.restuarant food very good

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
BarceloGM, General Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Thank you so much for your great review. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Kind regards

Reviewed 21 June 2011

Last weekend I stay at Basingstoke Country Hotel and had a fantastic weekend.

I was concerned after reading some of the previous reviews before my stay however I could not fault the service, food, treatments or bedroom.

The staff were extremely friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The evening meal and service was fantastic. The treatments were out of this world and it was great to be able to stay in the relaxation room after the treatments.

The swimming was clean and quiet during our time there. I was concern with previous comments about this area however I could not fault it.

The bedroom was large, clean and with a good view.

Overall very happy with the 2 night stay and it was good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
BarceloGM, General Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thanks for your great review, I am so glad you enjoyed your Spa Day with us.

Please come back and see us on another occasion.

Regards

Reviewed 14 June 2011

If your staying in room 273 ask to be moved to another room.
Wallpaper hanging off wall. Dust on headboard and window ledge. Blackmould in bathroom and limescale marks on tiles.
When we arrived the room was cold and the heater wasn't working.
We complained to the man on reception but he only said that they are updating the rooms. No apology was given. No discount given.
We would'nt consider the room to be of a four star standard.
The rest of the hotel seemed clean and well kept.
The evening bar staff and the breakfast staff were very friendly and very helpful.
The breakfast was very good, with a more than ample choice of food .
The hotel is in a lovely woodland setting and would be an ideal place to stay if they could get the bedrooms cleaner.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
BarceloGM, General Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Thank you very much for you positive comments regarding the overall service and standard of the hotel. I am sorry you were disappointed by the bedroom standard, I can assure you I have addressed the issues with my Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager and improvements have been made.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 13 June 2011

My Mum and I booked a spa package day, including lunch, 2 treatments and full use of the spa facilities. It was a huge disappointment! The changing rooms were dirty, the pool had patches of black mould and cracked tiles, the jacuzzi had black algae in it (until I asked for it to be cleaned out), the steam room wasn't working and the relaxation room was full of dirty cups and plates and stocks of water, tea and coffee were not replenished throughout the day. Lunch was a basic jacket potato, and there was no option for further refreshments throughout the day. Generally it was a very tired and scruffy environment. To be fair the 2 members of staff seemed embarrassed and tried their best to sort out the issues (they drained the jacuzzi and cleaned it - but that unfortunately meant it was not up to temperature or chlorine levels by the time we left!) I spoke to the duty manager, who apologised, but nothing more.
However, the treatments were good - so if you do decide to go - only go for the treatments and then leave - the spa is not a spa - it feels like a community pool with a room tacked on. Avoid, avoid, avoid!

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Joanne M

I am so sorry you were disappointed with your Spa Day and the facilities on offer. We do take all critism very seriously and where possible put actions in place to ensure our standard of service and product show improvements. I am sorry that some of our equipment was Out of Order on your Spa Day. I can genuinely tell you that if any of our equipment fails, we take action immediately to ensure our specialist contractors get to site and the problem is rectified as quickly as possible.

I am pleased to say that we are currently in the process of fully refurbishing our Changing Rooms as well as decorating our Spa Treatment rooms. There are also plans in place to fully refurbish our Pool and poolside area later in the year. Whilst I do appreciate these enhancements have come after your visit, I hope it demonstrates our commitment to invest in the hotel and Leisure facilities.

Regards

Reviewed 13 June 2011

I booked my Wife and sons into Basingstoke to celebrate our 35th Wedding Anniversary.
The rooms were fine. Comfortable , though a guide to HOW to use the heating would have been very useful. The food was way below average , even , after the Menu at the entrance to the restaurant was changed when we tried to order from it. Very disappointing. The service was , all but for one young lady in the bar , equivalent to a 1* hotel. The young man at Reception gave os NO Information and seemed very confused. and lacking knowledge. And to pay best part of £10 for a "Cream tea" scones , jam , and "AEROSOL cream was VERY disappointing. Would NOT stay again! swimming pool water was in need of cleaning , so , we didn't make use of it.

Room Tip: check what payment they are taking on ARRIVAL! I
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

I was pleased to read you found your bedroom comfortable but am sorry that you were disappointed by the food and service during your stay. I can genuinely say, it is very unusual for us to receive complaints regarding either the food or service, in fact as many of our reviews suggest, these are 2 areas in which we generally shine. Nevertheless please accept my apologies for the fact your Anniversary was disappointing. Just for information, the cost of a Cream Tea is £8 and includes English Tea, 2 large scones with Fresh hand whipped Cream, (we do not have Aerosol Cream on the premises) and strawberry preserves. Afternoon Tea is either 2 for £20 or £12.50pp and includes the above, along with Finger Sandwiches, Chocolate Eclairs, Victoria Sponge and Shortbread Biscuits.

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 May 2011

I came here with a friend for a spa day. I have to say it seemed to me that this was a hotel with a pool that had therefore decided to try and tap in on the lucrative spa break market without really being able to offer the experience other spas can.

On the plus side the pool was very warm, there was a jaccuzzi sauna and steam room and free self service tea and coffee offerred all day in a room. The spa staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. The back massage was excellent.

However, it just all seemed a bit makeshift and not up to par with other spas. The pool area and changing rooms were just a bit tired and needing a deep clean. There were not enough loungers. The relaxation room was a nice idea but just didn't feel very luxurious with a couple of loungers and some metal bistro tables. Lunch was very disappointing. Spa breaks are all about indulgence and luxury and this place, despite trying, just doesn't offer that.

We left relatively early to go to the bar in the hotel to have afternoon tea. The prices are very expensive. £8 for a scone and cream with a cup if tea or coffee- and they wanted a £1.95 supplement to swap to hot choc despite it being only 25p more on the menu than tea! It was nice though.

In summary I would not recommend this specifically for a spa break as it is just not up to the job but the pool and treatments might be a nice extra for hotel guests.

• Stayed: May 2011
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
Red Lion Hotel Basingstoke
Red Lion Hotel Basingstoke
#8 of 13 in Basingstoke

Been to Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!