“Very good”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nately Scures
Newbury
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

This hotel just hosted our works Christmas party and did it extremely well. A very nice hotel, with attentive staff, well appointed rooms and a a very good ball room for functions. I have stayed at this hotel twice now in three weeks and will definitely use again as I have been really impressed by the service.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
BasingstokeGM, Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Happy Christmas and thank you for your review. We are delighted you had a good Christmas party with us and have enjoyed both your recent stays. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Basingstoke Country Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

A great value weekend booked for me and my sister-in-law. Two nights bed, breakfast and evening meal and two one hour long treatments. We arrived a little early as one of our treatments was booked that afternoon. The room was ready and our bathrobes and slippers were waiting in our room. We weren't sure where to go for the treatment but the person in the gym was very helpful and showed us. We found all of the staff ver friendly and helpful. The treatments were wonderful and ver relaxing. The food was lovely and the rooms very quiet and a nice size. We will certainly be back!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you had a good spa break and look forward to seeing you again.

Basingstoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Really comfortable room and quiet and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Did not stay for breakfast as an early start for business meeting but overall really impressed with the facilities and location was great too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the feedback. We are very lucky with our location being 3 minutes from the M3, 5 minutes from Hook train station taking you straight into London and only a few miles outside to Basingstoke.

Brighton, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We are a group of four friends who stayed at the hotel for a one-night spa break. The hotel do a deal where you get a spa treatment, three course dinner, one night's accomodation and breakfast the following morning for £99.

They reduce the price if you book more than 28 days ahead and this is where the problems started. You book your room with a reservations team but your treatments direct with the spa. My friend who was making the booking was unwilling to book the rooms (and pay nearly £400 up front) until she knew they would be able to give all of us a treatment at roughly the same time at the time we wanted them done. By the time she had managed to make the booking (after being promised several call backs that never happened etc.), it was less than 28 days until our weekend (it took her about 6 days to sort out) so we had to pay the £99. We did feel this was still good value.

However, this problem aside, I would praise the hotel highly. The food was delicious with a wide variety of choices. I'm sure everyone would find something to suit them from the menu. The service was impeccable. Breakfast was also delicious with a wide choice although it is buffet service and the restaurant was very full. We had to queue for a table although we were warned we might have to do so, dependent on the time we chose to eat.

The only other real sticking point we had was, having eaten lunch using a bar tab earlier in the day, we decided to settle this after dinner (approx 10pm) rather than wait until the next morning. This completely confused the night manager who was very reluctant to allow us to do so, and then wouldn't take cash but insisted we paid by card. Not really a problem but just a little frustrating when we saw cash being taken for other tabs the following day.

I had a one-hour facial in the spa which was just heavenly, I came out feeling so relaxed and pampered. There is a lovely relaxation area outside the spa with complementary hot drinks and loungers to chill out on.

We were in two rooms quite far away from reception, it was a bit of a trek. The decor was a little dated and for some reason we were given a disabled room complete with pull cord and grab bars in the loo!

Overall I would say the hotel was excellent in places and good in others, hence my rating. The staff were great but the systems needed a bit of improving to mke booking easier.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Princess_Poppapia
BasingstokeGM, Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you for your detailed review and we sorry to hear about the booking problem. We always use feedback to make improvements where we can. We are pleased to read that you had a good stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Basingstoke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Had a great weeks stay with partner and two dogs. All staff were well trained, friendly and extremely helpful. Felt that the food was slightly over-priced for the quality, and evening choice was somewhat limited, but the service was good. Throughout the week the hotel was busy, but never noisy and the staff always made time for us.Will look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your comments. We are delighted your stay with us was good.

All Puma Hotels’ have a dog friendly policy. Please ask at the time of enquire for details.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Back in May I signed up to use the swimming facilities only at the hotel. However a few months later I was informed that the pool would be closing for an extended period for a re-work. I obviously cancelled my direct debit and stopped using the facilities, as you would if you were no longer receiving the service you were paying for. After a couple of months I was contacted over outstanding balance amounts, I called the leaisure department and made my case to be told I would called by a manager to sort out the issue. No phone call came but another letter did, once again I called the leisure department and had a similar discussion. Again no reply phone call, but a final letter warning that the outstanding amount would be raised to their debt collection. I called again and at only the third time of trying I'm told that they have not received from me a written cancellation of my membership, I believe in light that they closed their swimming pool for a month and I was on a swim only that this would of come naturally. Also the fact that I only signed up several months before the work was going to be done, something the leisure department should have known about, but supposedly didn't and couldn't inform me of this I find disgraceful. The customer service also has been terrible only once out of three phone calls have I had anything but 'the manager will call you back' which hasn't happened.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew T
We are sorry to hear of the communication issues you have had. Please do contact the General Manager direct on 01256 764161. We would like to resolve the issues you have experienced.

Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Nately Scures hotels

Planet Earth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

My wife spent enough for a cheap holiday for one in the Med going to this place with her sister as a Birthday girly treat as she doesnt see her sister often as she lives in scotland. They both wanted to get their nails done with shellac but this wasnt possible as they only have one uv lamp so that was a no no. No room to report on as it was only a day experience. Lunch consisted of soup and sandwiches eaten by the pool in awkward seating with coffee level tables from which to eat. Only one good table in the very busy room the other being next to the draughty door. This was when (lunchtime) a workman rocked up to hang some roller blinds over the window next to their table. Masonry dust going all over the already mediocre lunch. The massage in the afternoon was good they both agreed. The lockers required so much physical force to open that my sister trashed the french polished nails just getting the locker to work - not ideal.
Towards the end of the day they decided to have a shower and leave in one of the showers the light didnt work and in the other the drain was blocked with water backing up all over the place. one of the showers also had an uncomfortable cold water runoff being mixed with the proper flow. I have been retold this account many times now and what surfaces from it for me is the anger my wife feels at being very badly ripped off. My sister wrote of her account but that no longer appears here. too strong perhaps.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BamBamthefbrabbit
BasingstokeGM, Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit and you felt that you need to follow up your sisters review. Please do contact the General Manager direct to speak about this further on 01256 764161.

We take all feedback very seriously and have a Duty Manager available 24 hours a day for any guest needs.

Kind Regards
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,244 reviews

Been to Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!