“Let down by evening chef” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa

Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nately Scures
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
“Let down by evening chef”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is a very good hotel, in a pleasant location, and manned by mainly very pleasant and helpful staff. I attended with a coach party and my every need was catered for. In fact one evening I was relaxing alone before retiring for the night and one member of staff came to see if I was alright. The breakfasts were very good and were well cooked.
My only complaint is with evening chef. On the first evening it took 35 minutes from placing out order until our starter arrived. On the second evening, even though we were asked to go in thirty minutes earlier it took forty minutes for our starters to arrive, I found the meat on all my four main courses to be under cooked and left most of it. On one evening I ordered White Bait for my starter and have to say it was the worst I have ever tasted in my life.
Sorry to say this one person let down a very good hotel.

Room Tip: I have difficulty with stairs but rang the hotel before hand and was given a ground floor room. I su...
2 Thank oapcameraman
BasingstokeGM, Front Office Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for your review. Im very happy to hear that the service you received was pleasant and helpful and the team were very happy to read them. I am sorry though that you feel let down by the food in the evenings, chef is aware of your feedback and will use it as a tool to drive standards forwards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently spent 4 nights at this hotel as part of a tour group. Not to be recommended!

The hotel is set in some nice wooded grounds and looks the part of a Country Hotel. I imagine we were allocated standard rooms which were adequate for our stay. They were clean and the beds were comfortable. In the bathroom the water was always hot and the soaps, shampoos etc were replenished every day. Some of our party did say that their coffee, tea etc, was not replenished regularly.

Some of the Reception staff were quite friendly and helpful. Others not so, and seemed to be very disinterested.

And so to the restaurant. Remember we were a coach party of about 30 people. We were sat in the same room, but away from the other guests. On all four nights it took up to two hours to get a three course meal. Again, the staff in here do want some training in customer care. Very offhand at times, particularly when people were, quite rightly , moaning about the time it was taking. However, when the food came it was excellent. Always hot, not overfacing, and seem to be made with a degree of care. I couldn't fault it, and I heard no complaints from the others either. The other guests were served more quickly than us, and I got the distinct impression that the staff saw us as a bit of a pain! The breakfast was Buffet and was more than adequate to set us up for the day.

Things may have been a bit different if the manager who was there on our arrival had not gone on his holidays. He was approachable, and I'm sure would have sorted our complaints out. The relief manager was nowhere to be seen.

Would I stay here again?? No. If I was made to feel a hinderance as a member of a group, I don't see why I should patronize the place as an individual.

If however you like good food, nice surroundings and everything else the hotel has to offer give it a whirl and see what you think.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear that your feedback from your trip is mixed, but pleased that overall you have rated us at 4* and recommended us for our facilities and food.
The feedback you have given us relating to the length of time it took to serve the group is helpful to re evaluate the process during evening service. I do hope you find yourself back at the hotel soon as part of a group or an individual leisure break.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Wasn't too sure what to expect, however, I was pleasantly surprised as soon as I drove into the car park. Lovely grounds, check-in was quick and easy.
The room was well laid out (we stayed in premium) with free bottled water.
There is an indoor swimming pool and an outside hot tub.
We ate at the hotel restaurant 2 nights and the food was very good.
My only gripe really is that the elevator was slow and sounds like it's on it's last legs!
About 4 miles from the town centre, but the run in is quick and easy.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the pool area.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. I’m delighted to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by the hotel facilities and surroundings. As you rightly point out Basingstoke is only a few miles down the road but please return to us soon to see what other local gems are in this beautiful part of the country.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked here a group for a spa weekend, but were disapointed.

The steam has not been functioning for a year and has been advertised as one of the facilities for the spa.

The children in the swimming pool peed near some of our the guests and could not get back in the pool after the incident.

Aromotherapy massage was all right.

Free hot drinks near the massage, but had to wait for cups every time to take a drink.

1 Thank kisumu-95
Thank you for your review. Im sorry that your visit to use our spa facilities did not live up to your expectations. There was an unfortunate incident where we had to close the pool due to a hygiene issue and couldn’t re open until we were sure it was safe to do so.
We are constantly monitoring how our spa packages are run and hope that you will come back in the future to see the positive impact the changes we are making have made.

Travellers are raving about these Nately Scures hotels

Greenisland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel recently to attend a wedding.Whilst we didn't use the leisure center,the facilities looked excellent.Our premium double room was spacious and had everything we needed.The air conditioning was much appreciated and certainly helped in getting a good night's sleep as did the very comfortable bed.
The buffet breakfast was good and had a good selection of food.The dinner menu however could have more selection.
Overall I would certainly stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Go for a premium room is worth it.
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BasingstokeGM, Front Office Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I'm delighted that all aspects of your stay lived up to your expectations, I agree that the mattresses here do lead to a very good nights sleep! I hope we see you again soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked a standard room for one night. On arrival we were booked in by a young man who wasn't particularly welcoming and didn't seem to be 'with it'. We found our room (very 90's) which on the surface looked OK but was definitely in need of refurbishment, especially the bathroom - I personally don't think black mildew on tile grout and sealant is acceptable! We decided to try the pool and again the young man on reception wasn't welcoming and we felt that we were just a nuisance and interrupting his conversation with other young people in the gym area. We had to ask for towels and were given some that were very old and thin and were not told that we needed a padlock for the lockers. The pool, sauna and hot tub were nice although the steam room was not available. Unfortunately we didn't have a very good night's sleep as there was a wedding party in the hotel and the background noise from the disco was too loud and didn't finish until well after midnight. Breakfast on Sunday was good apart from the poor quality weak tea which was served in a flask - normally you would have a pot per table! Not sure whether I would return to this hotel. I appreciate everyone was probably busy with the wedding party but I think the young and obviously inexperienced staff could definitely be more friendly and welcoming (such a contrast to our visit to Chester last weekend where the staff couldn't do enough for us!).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that you didn’t receive our usual high level of service. Your comments are very useful to us to constantly improve the service and products offered. I hope you are glad to hear that the weak tea issue has already been addressed. Please do give us another chance if you find yourself in this part of the country again.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. There was a mix up with rooms, double room allocated, but twin requested. This was resolved quickly and professionally. We had dinner at the hostel on the first night. The food was surprisingly good, but the staff are in serious need of training. They had very poor menu and wine list knowledge and scarcely any manners... Almost to the point of a few comical Fawlty Towers moments. The bar was pricey, but the staff were lovely, yet again in need of training. Breakfast was brilliant and the staff serving both mornings were much more professional. The rooms were nice, if a little cobwebby in the corners and I was a little concerned by the power socket in the hallway attached to the wall with Sellotape.

This hotel feels like it could do with a little bit of TLC to achieve its full potential. Overall a nice place for a weekend break.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your review. Im glad to hear that despite a few niggles we were able to resolve them quickly. The bar team were delighted to hear your feedback about how friendly they were.
The hotel is constantly under an improvement process, so I hope I can welcome you back soon for another weekend break
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nately Scures
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,231 reviews
Audleys Wood Hotel
Audleys Wood Hotel
#5 of 13 in Basingstoke

Been to Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!