“Myself and my partner had a great time at...”

Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nately Scures
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Myself and my partner had a great time at this friendly hotel. Pool and gym facilities were great and we really enjoyed a couple of relaxing beauty treatments. Can't think of anything bad to say about the place, yeah maybe it could do with a bit of updating in certain areas but the service and food far outweighed this. The staff were great, really friendly and couldn't do enough for us.

Can't wait to return in the very near future.

BarceloGM, General Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2010

I was so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope we see you at the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2010

Truly awful experience, the staff were snotty and that’s the ones that weren’t preoccupied and ignoring you. The service was slow to say the least and nothing seemed to be of good quality or value for money.

The hotel itself is in need of some serious TLC including the rooms.

Definitely not the 4 star rating we were expecting.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FussyTraveller085
BarceloGM, General Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us, it is disappointing to learn that guests have not had a good experience, so please accept my apologies.
As numerous previous reviews will confirm, it is unheard of for any of my staff to be described as "snotty", in fact the numerous reviews will confirm that I have a fantastic team of friendly, dedicated and genuinely nice people working here so I am bemused by your comments. We work hard to make our valuable guests stays enjoyable, we do sometimes make mistakes, but I can assure you my entire team have a reputation for trying their hardest to be a friendly and professional bunch.

Reviewed 15 June 2010

We wanted somewhere an hour's drive from home to take granddaughter and partner to recover from her 18th birthday celebration....so 2 nights here. Lucky with the weather, and with choice of hotel. Nothing flash, nice rooms, nice pool (very warm!), and lovely garden areas behind to relax in. Staff just right, friendly but not over-familiar. Obviously a popular wedding reception venue, although the bride did have to sit in the bar to watch the England match!
Only adverse comment is the value-for-money on dining; food was OK-ish but not dramatic but at £20.95 for 2 courses, £24.95 for 3 courses expensive. Didn't mind that too much, it was all in as part of the deal, but too many items on the menu were extra cost. Even worse, apart from some garnish, veg was extra, at choice of any 2 for £5, and this applied even to chips. Neither chips nor veg were very good, and the principal of charging extra died out ten years ago in most places...........so be warned!.....if you want steak with 2 veg, it will add £11 to the meal.
Good location, close enough to M3 /A30 for convenience, but far enough off to feel in the country. Basingstoke shopping centre is BIG!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Thank you very much for your positive review, I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I just thought it sensible to confirm the dining arrangements as you mention this in your review. Many of our guests, including yourselves, stay on a Dinner, bed and Breakfast basis, particularly over a weekend. We offer a variety of packages, some include Beauty Treatments, some include local attractions, some are romantically focused, but importantly most include Dinner, as we believe this offers our guests the best value for money. Dinner inclusive guests are entitled to 3 courses - a choice of starter, main and dessert. Our current Summer menu offers a choice of 7 starters, 18 main courses and 7 desserts (just for clarification, there is 1 supplemented starter, 4 mains and 1 dessert). All main courses from the Grill section of the menu are accommpanied by mushrooms and tomatoes as standard along with a choice of 1 side dish. So for example, if one was to chose Grilled Chicken of Salmon Fillet it could be accompanied by either chips, or new potatoes or salad to name just a few of the choices of side orders.
However, my Head Chef and I have reviewed our Restaurant offering following your feedback and that of other valuable guests and have decided to include additional vegetables with all main courses as we certainly dont want our guests to feel let down.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on another occasion.

Reviewed 13 June 2010

Lets just say me and my husband went away without our kids hoping it would be a nice calm weekend for our wedding anniversary...but 2 fire alarms and a big flying beetle thing in our room it wasn't as relaxing as I thought it would be!
The pool was nice and calm but at around 3 o'clock on weekdays kids would start bombarding in so we tended to swim in the mornings. The steam room didn't work but the sauna was lovely! Jacuzzi was a bit cold compared to others but still nice!
Festival place the shopping centre not far away and a pub called the hogget just down the road which was nice as after a while the food got a bit boring at the hotel.
Gym great but not very private as the check in for the pool is right there so people watching you which is a bit intimidating.
Wild rabbits jumping about outside and the nice country air on your face is very nice and makes you feel at home. The bedrooms are great and comfy but I don't think this is a hotel for kids.
The only downside are the changing rooms ladies are a walk away, down the stairs the opposite side of the pool and are gruesome and dirty, my husband said the male changing rooms were okay although they smelt a bit.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased to read that you seemed to enjoy your recent break with us overall.
I am sorry you were disturbed by the Fire Alarms sounding druing your stay. I am sure you can appreciate that the Health and Safety of our guests is always our priority, however I can understand it didnt help your relaxing weekend away with your husband celebrating your Wedding Anniversary.

Reviewed 10 June 2010

Check in was easy, staff were helpful but slow. Looked like an old folks home inside, not exactly inviting! Room was clean, but again very dated. Food was nice but everything was slow........ Im used to quick clean city centre service so maybe being in the countryside everything is just more relaxed, but if I was looking for somewhere to relax i'd be looking for somewhere more modern and fresh.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2010

The trip started badly with a flooded car park, and a 10 minute wait to check in. The room was ok, small, and some mould around the bath. Bed was ok. the food was good however. In summary, this place needs a good spruce up to return it to its star rating

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Basingstoke Country Hotel near Hook for 2 nights in May 2010 with another two couples for a ‘walking weekend’. The hotel is set in lovely countryside about a mile from Hook. It is a mainly 2-storey development set in large, nicely managed grounds with ample parking. Check-in was quick and easy. We were allocated Room 116 on the ground floor. It was quiet and looked towards nearby fields. The bedroom was large and comfortable with the usual TV, tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer, iron and ironing board and a trouser press. I think there was also IT access in the room. The bathroom was adequate and clean.
We had booked a really good deal though Expedia, which included bed, breakfast and 3-course evening meal, which we felt was good value for money. There was a reasonable choice on the menu and the food was nicely presented. The restaurant staff were friendly, efficient and attentive. Breakfast (which was taken in the main restaurant) was very good with lots on offer both continental and cooked.
The hotel had a good gym located on two levels, a nice pool, jacuzzi and a sauna. It also has beauty rooms but we did not try any of the treatments. We heard that they also do very good deal for a girls ’pamper weekend’.
This hotel is a good place to use as a base for a walking weekend. I did see a guest with a dog in the corridors so I think maybe they accept dogs too. The hotel has nice gardens with seating which would be lovely to sit out at night with a drink in the summer. There is computer access in the lobby but it was chargeable.
Check-out was quick and easy and they offer express check-out if needed
I would certainly stay there again if I was in the area once more.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Annathetraveller

Thank you for your lovely review. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and very much hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again on another occasion.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nately Scures
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
Audleys Wood Hotel
Audleys Wood Hotel
#3 of 13 in Basingstoke

Been to Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!