“I really enjoyed staying in this hotel, the restaurant staff especially made it the best visit ever very helpfull espec”

Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nately Scures
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2010

there was a lady called Sue, Susan in the restaurant who was very pleasant and helpful nice lady all round service was fantastic too.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
BarceloGM, General Manager at Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 October 2010
What a lovely review, thank you so much. I am very fortunate to have a loyal and dedicated team working here and know how proud they are to receive such positive feedback.
Regards Claire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I was anticipating a relaxing spa weekend with my daughter (her first), instead I was made to feel that I was in the wrong as they had no record of my booking. I booked this through an alternative provider, who phoned ahead for me, sent an email confirmation to the hotel and I phoned and confirmed the booking a week in advance. So much contact with them, but not a single booking in my name.

After numerous phone calls presumably to the office, by the very unhelpful chap on reception, who all but called me a liar about having booked, we eventually got a room. I was told that someone would come back to me to confirm that our treatments were actually booked. Something I had also made personally at the same time as confirming my weekend booking. I had paid for a spa weekend and was anticipating champagne and chocolates on arrival, not hassle.

Two hours later no champagne & chocolates, nor confirmation of our treatment bookings and feeling rather hungry we went back to reception. thankfully, the chap from earlier was not there and we got to speak to someone else, who was extremely apologetic, said she would get our champagne, chocolates, robes, slippers and a welcome letter put up in our room. She also personally went over to the spa to check our treatments were booked.

Dinner was lovely, the staff there are extremely helpful. But I would say, it is disappointing that as a coach party was in they would not book anyone in for dinner until 7.45 on both nights. I am used to eating earlier, so found finishing dinner around 9.30 meant that it was difficult to sleep on a full stomach.

Our lack of a booking followed us to the spa the next day. Yes they did have our treatments booked, but no record that we were on a spa break, so had to request someone to get our lunch (supposed to be included), we had no tour of the facilities and basically left to our own devices for the remainder of our time there. The relaxation area, proved a good ground to catch up on what other people thought of the "spa", which was much the same disappointing about the lack of attentiveness of staff and cutting corners on treatment times. The relaxation room was used as a general walkway for staff, who even thought it was appropriate to put the football on to watch!!!! Along with sending mothers in with babies for a nappy change and feed!!! (Don't get me wrong they need to go somewhere, but a relaxation room in a spa?)

My daughter and I gave up on our relaxing spa and took ourselves off in the car mid afternon. My manicure is very chipped two days later and one of my cuticles left bleeding after the treatment. Overall - not the least impressed. Would I recommend - NO

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank ChiLynne
I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your Spa Weekend with us, it is disappointing to learn that valuable guests have not had a good experience, so please accept my apologies.
I can assure you that your critisisms are taken very seriously and are addressed in detail. Constructive feedback is very important to us, so thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Nately Scures hotels

London, UK
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Group of friends stayed here for a friends wedding. As it was recommended by the bride, we all booked into the Barcelo for a fantastic rate. If you based your booking purely on the website and it's lovely photos (it even boasts a spa), I'm sorry to say you'd be very disappointed.

When we tried to book the room, the receptionist tried to double our rate - even though a far lower rate was publicly posted on their website.

Check in was a TEDIOUS process with so many procedural questions - its was like they were reading a form. Got to the rooms which were OK - clean and tidy but seemed to be decorated in the mid-80s. Even the TV was pre-historic. But that wasn't as important.

We were told at checkin that there were 2 wedding parties staying and it would be busy. Seemed odd, then, when the following morning they were totally unprepared to serve all of these guests breakfast (which was included in the rate). There were only 2 people serving in the entire room - I felt terrible for them - and there was a queue going out the restaurant. An elderly couple in front of us had been waiting for about 10 minutes and no one had even offered them a chair to wait in.

All in all, the hotel was not comfortable, thin walls, noisy, and the front of house staff were very slow - all making a fairly frustrating stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank missjenni
Huddersfield
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I recently stayed at the hotel whilst on business and from the outside it looed ok and had plenty of free parking. The reception lady was very effecicent and friendly which was a good start and even better was a free upgrade. So far so good....

The room was plenty big enough but it reminded me of the Cheltenham hotel in that it has clearly been starved of investemnet. I had another TV which had a high pitched hum..had they moved it from my room in Cheltenham? I also tried to have a shower and there was no hot water that evening in the hotel.

The resturant was dead but once again the staff were friendly and provided good service. The food was reasonable and afterwartds we had a drink in the very expensive hotel bar. The breakfast was the usual fair but my colleague was not too impressed with his heavily stained side plate...NICE

Another advantage of this hotel is that you can get a room for about the price of a Travellodge and that is what you should expect. I find it incredile this is a 4star hotel and if the next reveiw is soon they they have no chance of keeping it. It sint enough to have a big car park and a swimming pool!

Would I stay...possibly, but only if I wanted a very cheap stopover and would look at Premier Inn/ Travelodges first.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the staff at the hotel. They genuinely are a friendly and dedicated team and I am proud of their attention to customer hospitality.
I can confirm that we now have new large Flatscreen TV's in all of our bedrooms and by the first week of November our Lounge/bar will have been refurbished. I am sure you will agree, this will certainly enhance the hotel.
I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel on a future occasion.
Kent
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We booked a two night stay at this hotel, the purpose being to relax and chill out in peaceful surroundings, use the leisure facilities and come back home feeling refreshed and relaxed after a pretty tough few months.

On check-in, on the first afternoon, we were directed to our room. After settling in, at around 4.30pm, we rang the reception to book a table (for two) in the hotel restaurant for that evening. We were told the earliest table they had was for 9.00pm. We decided that this was quite a long time to wait, especially for a table of just two people, and instead went for a lovely meal at the local pub, The Hogget.

We used the leisure facilities on both days. Whilst the pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were clean, the surrounding areas were not. The ladies' changing rooms were particularly unsanitary, and smelt pretty disgusting on both days. Needless to say, I changed quite quickly on both occasions!

We went out into Reading and Bracknell during our second day, and due to our experience the previous night, decided to bypass the hotel restaurant and went to the local curry house instead (very nice meal!)

We had seen that there was a wedding happening on the second day in the hotel, but didn't think much of it. After coming back from our meal, at around 10.15pm, and feeling pretty shattered as we'd had quite a busy day, we went into our room to find that it was directly above the function room of the wedding; the music was so loud in our room that it was vibrating through the floor.

We raised this with the staff at reception and the Duty Manager. We were not able to be moved, because the hotel in fact had two weddings happening on that night, and so even if we moved to another room, the music would be just as loud in our room on the other side of the hotel.

We were told that the music would stop at 12midnight, and were essentially asked to put up with it until then. We were offered a 'nightcap' or a 'dessert' to apologise; we declined both, as we just wanted to get to sleep in preparation for the drive back the next day.

It is important to say that we do not begrudge anyone their wedding/reception. We ourselves our getting married in 2012.

Our issue was that we had been in the hotel for a full 24 hours prior to the wedding, and so we feel it would only have been basic manners of the hotel staff to inform us that the function room was directly below our room and that the music would be very loud until 12midnight. We may even have been able to make suitable arrangements to accomodate for this, i.e. going out into town, etc.

We eventually got to sleep at around 1.00am. We checked out of the hotel at 7.30am (to say we'd had enough by then was an understatement), on which the Duty Manager presented us with a bottle of sparkling wine to apologise further.

On the plus side, even though we did not stay for breakfast on our second morning, the first morning's breakfast was quite nice.

Overall, we were very disappointed with our stay. We had come away specifically to relax, and we actually came away more exhausted than when we first checked in.

We feel that an increase in communication of information to us could have prevented us feeling this way.

We haven't yet decided whether to raise a formal complaint to Barcel directly; this may be something we will decide to do after a couple of days' reflection.

However, we have promised to ourselves we will not be coming back to this hotel, or any of the other Barcelo hotels in the chain.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stereo15
I am sorry to read you were disappointed by your recent stay with us. Having read through your review, it seems that your frustration lies with the fact that you were disturbed by function noise on the 2nd night of your stay for which I apologise. It is true to say we were extremely busy that night with 2 wedding receptions taking place, however, I agree you should have been warned about this in advance of your stay.
I was pleased to read that my Duty Manager gave you a bottle of Sparkling Wine on your departure by way of an apology, however I understand your disappointment. Once again, please accept my apologies.
London
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I took my partner here as a surprise birthday weekend and was utterly disappointed not to mention disgusted by the leisure facilities. The facilities are so in need of some attention. There is rust all over the pipes, the changing room’s smelt awful and was in such poor condition, the sauna and steam room were just pointless!! The Jacuzzi was out of use.
It was a good deal for the breakfast, the room was nice and the dinner was also nice but served to us by a bunch of students on their summer break.
I cannot fault the food. The bed came away from the wall constantly so we called the manager to come and 'do something'. He did and was helpful. For us to order a bottle of water as room service would have cost £3 plus £4 for the service!!
I have been to many spas and I recommend to NOT go to this.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sahar09
uk
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We were somewhat disappointed with this hotel. Having stayed with Barcelo before this fell below the standard. Although the deal was good value for money and included dinner and breakfast we found the hotel to be tired and in need of some TLC. The food was excellent and the service in the restaurant was very attentive, however the bar was unmanned on both occasions we went in, dirty glasses were just left on the tables. Reception staff also variable. The room was supposed to be a premium room, however compared to other Barcelo hotels there was nothing premium about and it was an attic room with a small window and hence very dark. On our last morning there was no hot water as the boiler had broken down. All in all it is OK if you get a deal, otherwise there are better hotels around.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,259 reviews

Been to Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!