“Shame about the road noise!”

The Wellington Arms
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Nice menu ranging from sandwiches to full dining options - our party took the 'full dining' route which, although a little pricey, (37.50 per person, including drinks/coffee) for lunch on a Saturday, was very good as it had obviously been freshly prepared. Efficient and friendly service from a nice team of young staff served us in 'the garden' which was lovely, albeit a little noisy (from the adjacent A33).
All in all, a good choice in a great location for meeting-up with friends.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank H1CAJ
There are newer reviews for The Wellington Arms

Reviewed 20 July 2013

this was a last minute booking, night away from the kids, its a the lovely hotel, the room spotless,lovely power shower only critcism the shower screen doesnt contain all the water... but we had a perfect nights sleep, lovely staff and a first rate breakfast, would highly recommend

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This must be the sixth time we have stayed at The Wellington. Having family in Basingstoke we are regular visitors to the area. Before staying at The Wellington I would usually select a four star hotel that offered the best deal. The Wellington is 3 star but I thought we would give it a go. We wouldn't stay anywhere else now.

The hotel has history which already gives it points above its modern atmosphere lacking competitors. The service is great. The dinner is of an excellent standard. We had one of the most enjoyable meals there on Saturday that we've had in a long time anywhere. Oh and I must add the treacle tart most definitely is the best I've EVER had!!

The rooms are of a good size with comfortable beds and lovely soft pillows. Maybe an extra attention to detail of cleaning could improve (stain on carpet, some black marks in bathroom) but I must stress this did not impair our stay. I say this as the room rates are excellent.

The breakfast is cooked to order. None of your greasy been sitting in a food warmer on the hot buffet station for ages and now its dried out or needs replenishing, here. (I had that 2 weeks ago in a so called 4star hotel in Derby) It is one of the best breakfasts we've had anywhere.

On a previous visit my husband left an article of clothing behind and it was kindly and promptly posted to us. Very good customer service.

Well done again, keep up the good work and we will see you soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sue p
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I booked an evening meal here last August for my partner's Birthday in August. I hesitated about doing a review at the time but having read the recent reviews, it's only fair to advise what we found. The service was good but the overwhelming memory was that the portions were far too large. Yes, I spent most of last year keeping an eye on my waistline but the main course of chicken & ham pie whilst delicious was enough for at least 3 people. This is wasteful. I had Eton Mess for dessert and what arrived on the dish was huge - this time enough for 2 people - but actually put me off having Eton Mess again. It just wasn't what I was expecting and was just loads of cream and meringue.
When the bill arrived, it was expensive in terms of the quality and whilst the food, on the whole was good, I have no intention of returning.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My wife and I recently had our wedding at The Wellington Arms and we both agree it was probably the best day of our lives and a lot of the credit for this goes to Suzie and her team at The Wellington Arms. From the first time we met Suzie until the moment we left after the wedding we were always kept informed and given so much confidence by her knowledge and help.
They made the day go so smoothly from beginning to end and left us with nothing to worry about other than ourselves.
The Wedding Ceremony was held in The Hampshire Suite and it was laid out beautifully, we had 40 plus guests but could easily hold a lot more. The food was excellent and the tables looked stunning, all our guests were happy with the quality of service, Suzie even brought in her disco lights for the evening reception which added to the ambience.
The Hotel was comfortable with free Wi-Fi, breakfast excellent, staff very attentive and hard working.
All in all I would not have any hesitation in recommending Suzie and her team at The Wellington Arms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Ok, I enjoyed my brief stay, with some reservations. This hotel is well located and my room was a reasonable price. The room itself (a twin, no. 32 I think) was fine for £65. The shower was an enigma to turn on, but once I worked it out, it was powerful and enjoyable but the bathroom was like a sauna, owing to a heated bath rail I couldn't turn off and the window was old and dirty and needed attention. Small matters though, considering the price the room was fine - Wi fi and a comfortable bed etc.
The service was interesting...and I am trying to put my finger on what was lacking. I refrained from booking a time for dinner as I had a lot of work to do and wasn't sure what time I would be finished. I arrived in the restaurant at a very busy moment, had a few pints and waited...in fairness to the staff this was my fault for not booking. As it was I found the service interesting...I felt (as a very easy-going guest) that I was a BIT of a pain in the [--] and that I would have been better off not being there. Every request was met with a sort of "Oh count yourself lucky, we're busy" approach which annoyed me as I was being very accommodating and far from demanding.
The food was not bad but overpriced. The Steak and Ale Pie (conjuring up big comfort food emotions "after a hard day" type thing) was really good. Fabulous suet pastry, very succulent and flavoursome meat and beautifully thick and reduced gravy. So why serve this with the cheap bits of the dish - the sides, so poorly provisioned? A ramekin stuffed with a few boiled cabbage leaves, with no other addition...you know, the odd splash of cumin or perhaps juniper to go with the Pie? Anything...just surprise me! Something interesting anyway and perhaps the small splodge of mashed potato could have the same treatment. Strange to have a lovely main with such derisory accompaniments.
And, as I say, it comes down to service. I am not a fussy or demanding customer. Especially when I am paying £65. But £65 is £65 quid. I found the service polite, but always got the impression I was a bit annoying and in the way.
Stay there....it is fine. But I just hoped for a bit more warmth.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We recently (June 2013) attended a wedding at the Wellington Arms Hotel.

Wedding

The wedding itself was conducted within the Hampshire Suite, adjacent to the main hotel. The room is large and could easily seat in excess of 60 people. The room was quiet with no road noise or noise for the rest of the hotel/restaurant.

The food was excellent and cannot be faulted - if anything there was too much!! The portion sizes were good and cooked to perfection.

Staff

On the whole, the staff were very professional and hard working.

Free WIFI is available, you can obtain the WIFI code from the main bar or reception.

The only niggle is that the toilet facilities could be improved in quality.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick

Been to The Wellington Arms? Share your experiences!