“Why change a perfectly great menu?”

The Wellington Arms
London UK
“Why change a perfectly great menu?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Of course you have to. A bit. But why did they take away the Béarnaise sauce from the steak? Now with Garlic butter? That is pointless!
Also, we ordered an extra portion for fries. They came in a small mug, and small it was!
2 service staff are not enough when the restaurant is almost full
Quality of food remains excellent!
We will come back to bang on about the sauce until it comes back!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

First the good. All the staff I met were friendly and helpful. Now the not so good stuff. My room was distinctly tired, even more so the bathroom; it bore no resemblance to any of the photos used on the website. The bed was comfy but the road noise from the A35 resulted in a very poor nights sleep - there is no double glazing and gaps between the window frame and glass! Breakfast was OK but not exceptional.

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces onto the A35!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Epernon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We overnighted after a family party in the function room and were delighted with the look and feel of the hotel and our room - spacious, lots of country-house hotel atmosphere, including a big squashy armchair and oversized ottoman I would love to have at home! The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom again spacious with a retro feel and excellent toiletries. A leisurely buffet breakfast the following morning rounded off a thoroughly enjoyable stay. Would definitely love to come back here. Thanks to all the very friendly staff, too!

Isle of Bute, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Lovely hotel with lots of character. Although the room needed an airing and was at the front we had a good night's sleep. The furniture in the bedroom was in keeping with the age of the building and much nicer than you would expect for a mid-range hotel. The bed was reasonably comfortable.

The bathroom could do with a bit of a touch up - bit of paint and the door was difficult to close - but was fine. Shower pressure and temperature were excellent. Toiletries supplied were very good quality.

There was plenty for breakfast both in terms of variety and quantity; although I was disappointed the kedgeree was not available the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon was lovely.

All the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly. Would definitely recommend and expect to stay again next time we are in the area.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

First stay here at this very welcoming hotel which was recommended by a friend. I was made to feel at home on booking in. The room was very comfortable with an en suite bathroom and a very powerful (and hot) shower. I went down for dinner and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the meal, I had the pork loin with the treacle tart for the dessert. Both were memorable, the pork melting in the mouth and the treacle tart was wow....what can I say, fabulous.
After a fantastic nights sleep (the most comfortable bed I have slept in for ages, including my own) I had a full English breakfast which was obviously cooked to order and fantastic. Nice touches at breakfast were the milk, which was in, what was like a small, old fashioned, pop bottle, you know, the one with the latch top which keeps the milk very fresh and a whole honeycomb so you could scoop what you wanted from this delicious offering (not that I am into honey). This is one hotel which I will definitely come back to and will certainly recommend.

Room Tip: First stay so cannot add a lot to this. I will update with further experience
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Another delightful stay in my favourite hotel in the Basingstoke area, We are remembered and welcomed as repeat guests. The hotel and staff do not fail. Suzie is most accommodating, if there is anything she can do for you she will gladly do so. The breakfast is great. Good quality ingredients. I love the breakfast,cooked to order, while of course you can help yourself to cereals, fruits, yogs, danish pastries and more....!!! The second morning was a full house so was buffet style understandable but never quite the same. Don't ever revert to the buffet exclusively Wellington, your breakfasts cooked to order are second to none. As I've said in previous reviews, the best we've had anywhere.

Dinner was really good as usual. Tasty food, lots of choice,with great characterful surroundings. I'm so pleased treacle tart is on the menu, I have never had better. So good I had it for dessert on both nights.

We look forward to staying with you very soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Booked in for a quiet birthday dinner for my wife and myself.

Whilst the food was very good, the service was probably the worst we have experienced. No reference was made to their specials (which we subsequently heard being offered to another table), empty plates being left on our table for 20 minutes between courses, having to re-order our wine. However, there were clearly plenty of staff. The service was so poor that we cut our meal short as we had both lost patience with the place and decided not have desert.

To round the evening off, and what has really resulted in this entry is that whilst settling the bill I raised my dissatisfaction with the service, to which the waitress nonchalantly replied "I know". If she knew how bad the service was, why did they not address it?

I feel sorry for the kitchen staff as they are doing a really good job only to be let down by the waiting staff.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Turgis
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,244 reviews
Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading

Been to The Wellington Arms? Share your experiences!