“Good food in great environment”
Review of The Gamekeepers

The Gamekeepers
Price range: US$16 - US$70
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I've eaten in the Gamekeepers a few times as it's close to my place of work. I took a large group of international colleagues there the other evening and the food and service couldn't be faulted. One of my colleagues literally wiped his plate clean (having stolen another colleague's chips to do so) and continually talked about how good it was the following day. The menu is varied and all the ingredients quite clearly very fresh.

A very minor criticism is that, although there are a number of wine choices below £30 (which is good), the list then jumps to over £50 per bottle (although my boss will be quite pleased about that as I ended up choosing from the below £30 page).

Although it's a little bit out of the way, it's well worth the effort - and if you're entertaining people from overseas, it's a great way to show off the best of Hampshire.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was our third visit in the year and the food is still very good, especially the venison, but it is quite expensive. We paid over £40 each, with a few glasses of wine and a couple of beers and one of us only had the main course. That said, good food is not cheap.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I have eaten at the game keepers many times and every time I am not disappointed, slightly above average prices but worth every penny the quality if the food is tip top and locally sourced. Friendly staff comfortable surroundings you can't go wrong choosing to eat here.

2  Thank stephelloyd
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Had a really good Sunday lunch here

lovely homely feel to the pub and peaceful surroundings

went for the burger - deluxe with blue cheese and bacon - very very good and enormous

definitely homemade with good quality steak mince - cant fault it !!!

doom bar and hogsback t.e.a on tap - perfect

Reviewed 28 April 2014

A few of us went to this pub on a Sunday in April and we were delighted with the welcome, the service and the food was wonderful.
We were welcomed and sat at our table in a very friendly manner and given a drinks menu.
The "owner?" then came to our table and explained the menu in full detail which was very useful and you could tell they took pride in their produce.
For starters I had the Italian meatballs which were really yummy and my partner had a duck terrine was equally yummy.
For mains we had the filet of beef with blue cheese and pink peppercorn sauce. The steaks were cooked to perfection and couldn't be faulted. My partner had his with dauphinois and I had mine with their rustic chips. This was one dish that each element on the plate was cooked to perfection and seasoned beautifully and Ieft nothing on my plate which is rare.
For deserts it was the sticky toffee pudding and the salted caramel ice cream, again, absolutely wonderful.
I really enjoyed the dining experience and the food was fantastic.
Can't wait until I can return to this pub.