“Excellent food”
Review of Kwai2 Thai Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Kwai2 Thai Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I ate at Kwai2 in January along with my girlfriend and have to say that it is now our favourite restaurant of any kind in Basingstoke. It was our first visit to this restaurant, so I was apprehensive as to what to expect, especially as I found the Lime Leaf at the top of the town to be somewhat of a disappointment when I ate there. When the food arrived and I started to eat the various dishes we had ordered, the flavours knocked my taste buds for six. It's by far the tastiest food I have eaten at any restaurant in Basingstoke and is one of the best Thai meals I have eaten anywhere. Writing this review is making my mouth water at the thought of the food we ate that evening. I would recommend a visit to Kwai2 to anyone in Basingstoke or the surrounding area.

Hampshire
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have been here many times never had a bad meal food is always hot and good staff like normal are friendly and helpful. However this time was 10:45 on a Saturday night and we were asked to leave as they were closing which when you have spent a lot of money I think was rude. I'd go back but I'm put off going and spending a whole night there. Maybe for me next time just a quick meal or I'd have to book a table early!

• Visited March 2014
Old Basing, United Kingdom
“felt like we inconvenienced the staff”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Booked an early meal recently on a Saturday. Turned out we were the first people in the restaurant eating in.

There were two young ladies on duty at that time. Neither greeted us or smiled as we arrived and we felt as if we were interrupting their conversation. The first impression is usually the right one and this was not good. The young ladies continued their conversation and laughter for a while longer and had to be interrupted when we needed another drink. Again the lack of cordiality made us feel uncomfortable.

The food was fairly average but the building has a welcoming feel to it, which was the only real positive.

We live locally but won't be going back here. Personally there are a some nice pubs with restaurants in the local area which are much more friendly and welcoming with better food.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Darrell C
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“regular visit”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I come to this restaurant very often, and I would say the food has a wide option where as most Thai restaurants do not. All dishes taste amazing! Especially the Lamb Shank, which is in a delicious sauce, i highly recommend this dish, The restaurant is in a random place but once inside the decor is not expected, the old brick walls are gorgeous! I would say don't knock it until you try it! week days can be quite dead, but with it being out of town area its expected. Weekends are usually pretty busy so I would advise to book.

UK
“Lousy service, bad smell.”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We decided to try this restaurant on Friday as it isn't too far from us and we didn't want to go into town. We had also seen the early bird menu on their website and felt that it would be good way to try the restaurant out, that way if it wasn't very good, we wouldn't have lost so much.
When we entered there was a strange, not very clean smell. The waitresses were deep in conversation behind the bar and neither one even smiled at us when we went in. They weren't busy, there was only one other table of two diners in there. We sat down and ordered drinks.
When the menus were brought I asked about the early bird menu. "We don't have." said the waitress and walked off. Well, to my mind, if you don't have, maybe you shouldn't advertise it on your website.
As we were looking through the menu, the waitresses continued their conversation behind the bar. Then one of them took out a toothpick and started picking her teeth with it behind the bar! Disgusting. The other one then took out her ponytail and started playing with her long greasy hair, also behind the bar. Very unhygienic.
If that is the state of the food hygiene front of house, goodness only knows what the kitchen must be like. When the waitress came for our food order, we got the bill and left. We went to the Lime Leaf in town instead.

2 Thank princesskittykat