“A New Orleans institution”
Review of Cafe Du Monde

Cafe Du Monde
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

It seems that everyone wants to visit the Cafe Du Monde and eat their 'beignetes' (square doughnuts with lots of powdered sugar), so be ready to que. We enjoyed the experience and the beignetes.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a New Orleans old standby. Everyone needs to experience it once or more. The waiting line can be intimidating but moves quickly. The place is old and suffers from years of coffee spills and powdered sugar. The waitpersons have to take your order, purchase it, load it up and bring it to you - so tips are appreciated.
It is a tasty treat and makes a good place to people watch in Jackson Square.
Others have mentioned the restrooms here. Expect a long line to wait through for a two person restroom that is overused. Best to find a restroom elsewhere.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Beignets at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans are a must! If you visit NOLA and don't visit Cafe Du Monde then why did you come? The only thing, I think I caught Hep C in the restroom. (this is a joke btw) Ive used porta pots that were cleaner and smelled better. Had I not waited in line 10 min to use it and really needed to use it, I would have found another.
Another thing, they only accept cash. And there's no rhyme or reason to the seating. Basically if you see an open table, even a dirty one, you'd better grab it before someone else does.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The beignets may be from the same recipe but it does not seem as good. Its still good and if you don't want to travel into the quarter, this is a good substitute. I am not a favorite of either place's coffee.

The location has small outdoor area, in a nice strip mall. Inside is very clean but cavernous like. People are nice. To order, first tell how many orders of beignets. Then order coffee.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

While staying at Fontainebleau State Park, we planned a trip into New Orleans to visit the WWII museum. Rather than stand in the potential long line in the city on Fathers Day, we discovered a Cafe Du Monde on the way, in Mandeville.

When walking inside, you’ll immediately see the baker rolling out a fresh batch of beignets. We placed our order, and by the time coffee and juice were poured, the fresh- made beignets were on our tray. Unless you are really hungry for these French style donuts, one order is enough to share between two people. I don’t drink coffee, but my husband does. He’s fairly picky about his brew, and after taking a few sips, he left it on the table, “ saying it was too strong for his taste.” So, unless you like a dark roast, skip the coffee.

I like beignets, but I like them more airy, less dense, and I’ve had better ones in TX. Next time we are in this area, we’ll try a different cafe for beignets.

Been to Cafe Du Monde? Share your experiences!