“The snot in the shower wasn't the worst part!”

New Orleans Marriott Metairie at Lakeway
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Metairie
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I had previously stayed at this property and wasn't overly impressed. When I needed to return to the area, other Marriott locations were booked and I was left with no choice.
When I arrived to the hotel around midnight, I attempted to enter the elevator to go to my room only to find a very drunk (Caucasian) man standing in the corner of the lift. I exited, tried to call a different lift, but the same door opened. The man reached his hand out and motioned for me to come back in. I notified an employee, who responded, "Ohhhh, is it a black guy?" (like this is a common occurrence?!). She called the same lift, told him to insert his key card to get back to his room, and shuffled me into a different lift - as I saw her walking to the front desk! Not sure what else was done about the situation, but I wasn't going to stick around.
While showering the next morning, I noticed the drain emptied VERY slowly (There was standing water for about 3 minutes after I got out). But worst of all were the BOOGERS smeared all over the back wall of the shower! Gross!
As I was leaving for the day, I notified the front desk of both issues and both issues were resolved when I returned that evening. An apology regarding the drain - not the boogers, which, really, I found to be much much worse - was emailed to me later that day.
I should have stayed at a Hilton.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 December 2013

I would give this place a worse rating if I could. It was my wedding night and the elevator malfunctions causing smoke which set the fire alarm off. This caused us to have to evacuate the building and walk to my wife's parents house down the road. It was a terrible wedding night thanks to the Marriott. The WORST part is that they wouldn't even comp the room. I even wrote a letter to the manager who never responded to me. I will never stay at another Marriott again and neither will anyone in my family. THEY HAVE LOST OUR BUSINESS FOREVER.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Due to flight delays I ended up arriving at the hotel at almost 2am. Expecting a lukewarm welcome by a dreary night reception staff, I was very pleasantly surprised to be greeted by a smiling, friendly and willing to help night reception staff.
The room was very clean, comfortable and more than adequate for my needs. Food was of a high quality and the room service was swift (regardless of the time of day).
What I was most impressed with was that at the time of my stay the whole of the San Francisco 49ers team (200 people in total) were also staying there. Players, wives, kids, cheerleaders, management....everyone! Although the hotel was busy (full capacity) and there were all these NFL players wandering around, I was never treated any differently by the staff. They were always just as attentive and curteous toward me as they were to the team. Room service was just as swift, my room was cleaned promptly and even when the staff called a taxi for me I was not made to wait longer. I was just as priority as the 49ers!
I had a great stay at this hotel and I would recommend this to anyone visiting that area.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank VikkiVJ
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I thought this hotel was great in terms of our stay with only one real exception. As a Platinum Elite member of the Marriott Rewards program, I have come to expect a concierge floor at every full service Marriott I stay in. This one has a concierge lounge, but it's closed on the weekends. It's completely inconvenient and if I knew that, I mostly likely would have opted for a different Marriott on that reason alone. Free bottled water being the number one reason.
With that being said, the place is clean, well kempt, and the staff is very polite and courteous. However, if you are thinking about staying here so that you can visit the city of New Orleans, don't do it unless you have to. The 20 minute cab ride gets old really quickly and will cost you $30.00 every trip. Better off paying a few more bucks and staying on or near Canal Street to be closer to all the action.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views but there aren't many great views of the lake. Some other buildi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doug E
Reviewed 5 November 2013

First off let me say I believe I spent too much money for the room that I received the view was not very good my room was right by the pool. Kids screaming at 7 o'clock in the morning wow what a good alarm clock my bathroom needs repairs and also my bed was not comfortable at all the only plus was the breakfast buffet

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The location is not great it is for away from any activities. The parking lot is very small and over crowed it took forever to fine a spot. The hotel itself is location sort of in a residential neighborhood. there is a very small pool but not much else.
The rooms are clean but old.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

No complaints here. Great location. Great food. Great staff. Comfy beds. Had a suite for 6 days. No issues. Pool is warm. And is always empty. Parking is easy. I will be back. Heavy pours from debra at bistreaux in the hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business