“Disappointed from the get-go”

Holiday Inn Metairie New Orleans Airport
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Metairie
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Besides a comfortable bed and plenty of hot water, I really don't have much good to say about this hotel. Our 3 night stay in this dirty hotel was $574 before tax. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

I booked the room through Booking.com. It was a king room with sitting area, small refrigerator and breakfast included. When I checked in I asked about the breakfast and the manager said that shouldn't have been promised, lectured me on booking through a third party and, after I showed her my receipt with description, reluctantly gave me vouchers for breakfast for the 3 days of my stay.

When we got out of the dirty elevator on our floor, there was a faint smell of urine. The room itself had an odd layout. You entered into a sort of unlighted hallway, walked past a large bathroom and a door connecting to the room next door into a room that was really too small for a king-sized bed. The "sitting area" turned out to be a small desk with a single chair. The sort of cold refrigerator was hidden in the armoire. The walls were dirty, the faux leather headboard had what looked like grease spots on it and the tiles in the bathroom had mold on them. The water in the shower/tub was slow to drain. By the time I finished with my short shower there was about 3 inches of water standing in the tub.

Each morning the floor in the restaurant at breakfast was sticky and looked like it hadn't been properly mopped from the bar scene the night before. According to the front desk person, breakfast on our final morning was supposed to begin at six which was good because we needed to get on the road early. We went into the restaurant and when no one came to seat us I went and found a staff person who said to sit anywhere. We did and went to get our food only to discover that there were no plates and no food in the chafing dishes. I let the night audit clerk know that there was no breakfast and she said she'd leave a note about it. She didn't offer to reduce our bill or compensate us in anyway.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kasbc
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Metairie New Orleans Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Dear kasbc,

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed 30 April 2012

The room I was in had been remodeled and they were working on repainting the corridors. The hotel was completely sold out on a Tuesday night, so I think it stays pretty full. It's only about 7 miles to the French Quarter and 40 minutes to Covington, LA.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

I found the service at this hotel to be very good. The front desk clerk was very friendly and welcoming. Any staff I saw in the lobby, elevator, or hallway was friendly and seemed to genuinely want my stay to be pleasant. When I asked directions to the back door the staff person walked me to where I could see it rather than just giving me directions. The room was on the 9th floor to the side of the hotel and I found it to be very quiet even though there were two teams of elementary school-age boys baseball players. The air-conditioning worked well and the beds were on a par with Ritz-Carlton. I am sure of that because a friend and her husband came by to see me. He works at Ritz-Carlton and agreed that the beds were that comfy! The bathroom was clean and very well lit. The shower head was wonderful. The bathroom vanity did need some touch up painting but the painters were about to go into my room as soon as I was checked out. The drapes worked well, blocking out the outside light (one of my pet peeves is having drapes that don't close well). It has been a long time since I stayed in a Holiday Inn but I was very pleasantly surprised. I was happy with the location...it was close to the friends I was visitiing, but it is a long way from the airport. Another happy surprise for me. I booked it because it was in Metairie and most hotels were full.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We chose this Holiday Inn because of it's location to where we needed to be.
the lobby area was clean and well kept. Our room was ok except the bathroom had dirty walls and was not inviting at all. We went to the front desk to ask for more towels and a laundry bag. We had a scolding and rude front desk person. We never received the towels, even after asking again.
Where is the customer service?

Room Tip: Go to 'bed bug registry' on line before booking a room anywhere
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
rengel0861, General Manager at Holiday Inn Metairie New Orleans Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
I would like to personally apologize for your less than desirable experience you had here at our hotel. This is definatly not the way we train our staff on how to react to our guest needs and truthfully I am embarrassed that this type of treatment was given to one of our valued guests. Please accept my apologies and I hope that if your travels bring you to the Metairie/New Orleans area again, that you would be willing to give us another chance to make it up to you.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Beds slept great, but I hate HI pillows. They can sometimes bring you nicer feather ones, if you know to ask. Thin walls, the a/c is either Arctic blast or off, and everything has a dingy look to it, despite it having been renovated. Convenient location, stayed here on points because everything was overpriced and sold out due to fq fest.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment about your recent stay at our hotel. We really appreciate the feed back and will use your comments to better serve our guests. I also wanted to take a moment to apologize for the A/C not working properly during your stay. We work very hard everyday to ensure all areas of the hotel are in tip tip shape, but sometimes miss a few things and I truly apologize. I hope that if your travels bring you to the Metairie/New Orleans area in the near future that you will be willing to give us another try. Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Mardi gra seaon.. hotel is full and noisy and service is not very consistent. Glad to stay on executive floor to avoid most of the issue

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for posting a comment about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Metairie New Orleans Airport. I was so sorry to see that our service was not up to your standards and wanted to personally apologize to you for that. We strive everyday to ensure all our guests are taken care of and I know that we really dropped the ball during your stay. If you are in the Metairie/New Orleans area in the near future, please give us another chance to make it up to you and the opportunity to show how we really area committed to guest service.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

Convenient location, nice lobby, average restaurant, very nice front desk staff, but rooms are just okay. They are a little small and furniture takes up most space making moving around the room a little cramped. Bathroom is VERY tight. Room was clean and bathroom was clean but shower had a small shelf in it that was simply gross. Why they would not change out this eyesore is beyond me. I assume the cleaning crew does not bring it to their attention. Our room (626) did have a fridge and "coffee by the cup" maker which is convenient. The bed was awesome! However the hallways are small and creepy. Too many turns and "jut-outs" and such. Really weird feeling walking the halls to get to your room. Also, a musty smell exists in the hallways. If your room AC is not on then that musty smell sometimes seems like it is in the room. Free breakfast came with our rate plan and breakfast was very good although the restaurant service is not nearly as efficient/friendly as the front desk staff. I would stay here again if I had to but I would probably look for a little more modern property first.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a main hallway.

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a comment about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Metairie New Orleans Airport. I see that for the most part you had an enjoyable experience with us but there are a few areas of opportunity that we need to address to ensure all our guest have an outstanding experience at our hotel. To start I would like to apologize for not having everything up to your current standards for a top quality stay at a hotel. I will be taking your comments and sharing them with our staff to help us better understand the needs of our guests and to help us improve our overall guest experience. If your travels bring you to the Metairie/New Orleans area I would hope that you will give us another chance to show how we can take our guest comments and turn them into better ways of taking care of our guests.