Madewood Plantation House
Magnolia Motel(Donaldsonville)
  • Pool
Economy Inn(Thibodaux)
View Hotel
All reviewsother gueststhe main housecanopy beddeep southsouthern hospitalitybeautifully set tablehoneymoon suitedining tablehistoric propertynew orleansback porchbed was very comfortablestayed two nightsbaton rougelouisianaantebellumfurnishings
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I decided to have a small but formal wedding with a few close friends and family. We chose Madewood from our past visits to the plantation home. The setting on the bayou and the grounds were outstanding. Although we only had about 20 guests, the house can accommodate many more. The staff was very helpful during the planning and ceremony. They made everything flow without any problems. We would highly recommend the house for any type of ceremonies or dinner parties and a sleep over would top off any occasion.
We enjoyed the Madewood setting so much that after our Church ceremony later during the year we held the reception at the plantation house with 60 plus in attendance. We definitely give it TWO thumbs up!
Charles & Christa Prather
Houma, Louisiana

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Charles P
Reviewed 6 May 2013

There is something magical about the Madewood and having the opportunity to explore the whole house. The elegance of dinner, after dinner coffee and brandy and breakfast the next morning was perfect. My husband who is not fond of veggies actually ate his yams.
I wish we had more time to explore beyond the garden but we will be back. Next time we will just skip New Orleans and just stay at the Madewood. Thank you Angie and Keith.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra M
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I have a fond regard for Madewood as a place where I can completely relax and feel at home. I applaud the efforts to restore and preserve a heritage property, and the results here are superb. Rooms are gorgeous, meals are festive, and the owner Keith and "Cleo" personally extend gracious hospitality. This differs from a hotel and feels more like visiting a relative's home, with a bit of quirkiness adding to the charm. I recommend staying at Madewood while exploring the other plantations as day trips. Like Scarlet returning to Tara, I look forward to yet another, hopefully longer visit.

Room Tip: You can probably look around and pick one you like. The master suite has front balcony access and I didn't find the street noise to be an issue.. The bathroom is quite tiny, but cleverly styled, as of course bathrooms are all modern additions and just fit wherever possible.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank agingwithattitude
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I recently spent two nights at Madewood Plantation, and I could not have been more pleased. From the time I arrived...back door open, so I just snooped...this was the trip I needed to make! The house was lovely (old, yes, so ENJOY that) and the company was great. Angie was a dream...from reservations to dinner to breakfast to pear jam! Keith and I had a wonderful, spirited (neither of us convinced the other) political debate until after midnight. Where else can you get that? It was wonderful!

Room Tip: Loved the nursery, but I checked out all the rooms! Lovely!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Bill L
JR1819, Owner at Madewood Plantation House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

What a delightful, memorable evening this was, with spirited banter back and forth over coffee and brandy in the parlor. Great conversation and new friends, though Madewood and I both remain to the left of the bayou. This is how life has been at Madewood for almost 170 years, always stimulating. We look forward to more of the same.

Keith Marshall
Owner

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Our stay March 2013 was very pleasant. Keith and his staff are so very kind and hospitable. We felt comfortable both with the accomodations and service. We had the room with the large dressing room bathroom.

We excitedly called home to tell our sister that we walked on antique rugs and sat on antique chairs. Our bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept in. We enjoyed drinks on the back veranda with a lovely view, telling stories with the owner Keith.

The home is not pristine in its past remodeling efforts, but that just shows how the home was updated with modern conveniences like electric and baths. We were comfortable and Keith and his staff checked in with us regularly to ensure we were happy.

The food was delicious and very well presented. We were served sufficient proportions instead of huge platters that could not be eaten. We were very pleased with the 8 am wake-up coffee delivered to our room to help ensure we would be down for breakfast at 8:30.

Thank you for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple