“Pub Grub”
Review of Papa's Bar & Grill

Papa's Bar & Grill
Ranked #10 of 65 Restaurants in Natchitoches
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My family visited Papa's Bar and Grill on a Saturday afternoon, shortly after the noon hour. It was busy for the time of day, but there were still several empty tables. Our waitress arrived promptly, taking our drink orders and providing menus.

We did not order appetizers, but went straight to the entrees. My daughter ordered the chicken tender appetizer as her meal with a side order of dirty rice. I chose the seafood combo (fried catfish and shrimp) with a stuffed potato. My husband got the "Big C" burger and fries.

Unfortunately, neither my husband nor I cared for the food. The catfish tasted as if it had been fried in old oil. The shrimp was over-breaded and tough. My husband's burger tasted as if it were just "food grade" and the fries tasted fishy and were soggy. I did think the stuffed potato was excellent, as was the fried pistolette. My daughter had no complaints on the chicken tenders.

The bright point of our visit was the very friendly and attentive staff.

Overall, I would not recommend Papa's Bar and Grill. We will select a different restaurant when we return to Natchitoches.

1  Thank Lepidoptera50

Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

A quaint place on brick front row in Natchitoches, LA that would put the V in vacation, in the oldest historical town of LA. We ordered shrimp and fries and tea on a sunny afternoon, very pleasant place, home-townish flair with great conversation at a great price...beat one of the big city seafood restaurants anytime. Shrimp was fried...not greasy...fries crisp and perfect...what a treat on this little brick road with friendly people...will be back soon!

1  Thank Nuthead
Reviewed 9 March 2014

They're connected to the adjacent restaurant "Mama's" but the food is not as good. I had the very forgettable Cajon Roast Beef Po Boy. The Caesar burger sounds good but actually not so much.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

The fried fish and oysters were excellent. It is not often that I find a restaurant which fries fish and oysters with just the right coating of cornmeal (no heavy batter), the correct seasoning, and having a crispness on the outside while remaining soft on the inside. Some of the best fish and oysters that I have ever had.

Service was friendly, quick, and efficient.

Papa's has that hole in the wall atmosphere that larger restaurants try to imitate. But this is genuine. Food, service, and atmosphere all combine for a good experience.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This place is not good. It was recommended by a shop worker who must have been affiliated with the place. The food had absolutely no flavor, neither the crawfish pasta (the crawfish were chewy) or the tuna steak. I would highly recommend NOT going here.