“First Alligator”
Review of Mariner's

Mariner's
Ranked #5 of 65 Restaurants in Natchitoches
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2014

It was sheer luck that landed me at Mariner's- the end of a long day's driving. My luck wasn't all good- the rain was pouring down in buckets, so I couldn't take advantage of the outdoor seating and lake views. But, being that this was my first visit to Louisiana, I wanted to try something distinctly local. I went for the blackened alligator. It was just an appetizer, but a large one, so it sufficed as an entree for me. Oh my! There was an excellent dipping sauce (the name of which already escapes me), and as good as it was, the gator was so good in its buttery spiced form that I ended up eating most of it without the sauce. The meat was tender and juicy. I can't recommend this dish enough. It ought to be an entree!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

the food and overall experience was awesome. the food was great. the waiters there are really nice and u get exaxtly what you order. it is located near the lake so its a beautiful view.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Decent food, really great service, awesome sky and water view, perhaps worth the high prices.

But when you arrive a bit ahead of standard dinner time on a weeknight and the place is deadly quiet with only one other couple there and the hostess tries to slap you down at a table three feet away from the other couple so that the two of us and the two of them can practically hear each other breathe, we consider that a hard slap to the face since no one enjoys that ... you can't enjoy your night out with mate much if you can't even chat quietly without feeling overly intimate with the other couple, what with the four of us practically on stage for each other.

When I asked the hostess to move us away just a bit, with a bit of huff and chill she said she could only move us over one table because they only had one server, as if I expected to be moved an acre away. That's fine, I said, and thanked her warmly, but this was met with more huff and chill.

By the way, there were two servers, a very capable, gracious and wonderful server who left nothing unattended to, and a pleasant, also capable, new young server he was training. They managed to serve us extremely well, even though they had to take perhaps five extra steps to do so than if we had been sitting on top of the other couple.

You know, in a crowded, noisy restaurant, we don't at all mind being seated very near others since a high level of pleasant convivial noise is not only festive feeling, it also allows you a kind of cocoon for private conversation. But it's just downright rude to jam two couples close together inside the morgue-like silence of an empty restaurant, and I'm sick and tired of being nice about restaurants doing it, especially when the fare is costly.

1  Thank papertravel
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This was my first visit to Mariner's. I was with a girlfriend having an early dinner. We had a great table by a window that provided a fantastic view of the lake, but the sun was setting and burning through that window, and the air conditioning was insufficient. Our waitress was very friendly, but not very helpful with the menu. The table next to us asked the difference between Jambalaya and Étouffée and she could not answer. That should be easy for anyone working in a Louisiana restaurant. The food was tasty and seasoned well, but in my opinion over priced. We only had entree's and water and our bill was over 60$

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We arrived around 7:00 p.m. on a Monday evening to find that there were few patrons. We figured it must be because it was the beginning of the work week. Yet, when we left around 8:45 p.m. most of the tables were filled. The food was excellent. The portions were so large that the three of us chose not to select desserts even though the crème brulee and chocolate molten lava cake seemed to be calling. Our server was delightful. He was attentive and quite respectful. Perhaps we reminded him of his mom. We tried the Tilapia Supreme, Coho Salmon, and Grilled Gulf Shrimp paired with twice baked potatoes, salads, crawfish soup, and a shared appetizer of fried alligator (tasted like chicken.).
If you are on vacation make plans to dine there during the week. We heard the place is packed on the weekends. All the views of the river/lake seemed to be good but our table by a corner window made the evening special.

1  Thank Kay W