“Bar with good food”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 29 July 2013

It's where the locals go to eat good basic food at a reasonable price and to get interesting microbrews (list changes daily).

Reviewed 20 June 2013

In two days in Natchitoches we ended up in this pub twice. We sat at the bar and talked to the staff and owners. I get the feeling that if we lived in Natchitoches this would be our regular haunt.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

We were staying at a B&B in town and doing the usual touristy things in Natchitoches. We had never been to Pioneer Pub, only because we didn't know about this place and it is a little hard to see because of the location. It is located at the end of the main street action of all the shops and other restaurants. The owners of the B&B where we were staying are friends with the owners of the Pub and they recommended it. We were not at all disappointed. The food was great...really great! And the prices were very reasonable. The service was good and the atmosphere was just as good. They even have tables outside and in good weather dining outdoors is very pleasant. We have been to Natchitoches enough times now that we have become friends with several of the locals and they all seem to hang out at the Pub at night. That night (Thanksgiving weekend) they had a young man who is from Natchitoches (or near there) who entertained...sort of a one man band. He was very good and we enjoyed listening to him.
The one problem we see with most of the restaurants/bars and even most of the shops in Natchitoches is they are very small. They are a part of the original historical area and for that reason they are small. That is not to say that you can't still have a good time, you're just going to have a good time in a small space!! We LOVE Natchitoches though and there are some things you just have to deal with!
Overall, we really recommend the Pub. Day or night; they have really great food. And you are in Cajun country so Cajun food is a must!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We had burgers here a year ago which were very good so returned to try something else The roast beef po boy was a bad choice - pot roast like chunks instead of debris or even slices The nachoes were indeed piled high; but primarily covered in sour cream and guacamole (not much salsa or cheese, no chili or refried beans) The chicken caeser salad was 'good'. They were 'out' of the first few beer choices my husband asked for that day. Overall, this was a 'poor' meal choice for lunch If this had been a late night meal after drinks, I could agree with an 'average' rating.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This turned out to be my favorite place in Natchitoches. Has an excellent beer selection that changes regularly, reasonably priced good food, very friendly/helpful staff & fun ambiance. Feels very different from most places on Front St. I also noticed that it is very family-friendly even though it's a bar. Also a big plus: it seems like this is the ONLY place open in Natchitoches on Sundays and Mondays.

Burgers were really good, as were the salads, wraps and pizzas. Only thing I had here that was only OK was the ribeye - I like my steaks medium rare and what I received was somewhere on the well-done side of medium. But other than that, my numerous visits were always great!