“Very rude staff”
Review of Spanish Lake

Ranked #7 of 13 things to do in New Iberia
More attraction details
Owner description: More than 240 bird species have been identified frequenting this small and shallow lake.
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I am handicapped, and use a motorized bicycle to enjoy the outdoors. Today I took a ride to Spanish Lake, just a few miles from my home, and rode around the gravel road that surrounds it.

About halfway around the road, I was approached by a very rude woman in an SUV. She was very angry at me, and told me that motorcycles were not allowed. I don't have a motorcycle, I have a Schwinn bicycle with a little motor mounted on it, but if that's their rule, I have no problem with that. I told her I wasn't aware of the rule, and that I'd leave, but that wasn't good enough for her. She continued to berate me for not reading the sign at the entrance. I admitted that I hadn't read the sign, and agreed to leave. No problem. Still, she continued her tirade very angrily. She was persistently rude.

Ironically, I had just returned from a five-day trip to New York City, where I never encountered a single rude person out of the thousands I saw and dozens I interacted with. This lady was literally the first person I spoke with since returning to New Iberia, and she was meaner than anyone in New York.

So I turned around and headed for the exit, My bike only goes about 10-12 miles per hour on gravel, and this woman tailed me the entire time, riding behind me like she was trying to intimidate me or something.

When I got back to the front, I looked for the sign, and sure enough it was there... next to the boat ramp. As a boat owner, I expect to see boat ramp rules posted at a ramp. As a bicyclist, it doesn't occur to me to read boat ramp signs. They really need a sign at the gate of the lake road.

So I admit to breaking a rule, but it was inadvertent, and did not warrant such rude treatment. Any reasonable business owner would have seized the opportunity to turn me into a return customer, rather than making me never want to do business with them at all.

17  Thank jefuchs

Reviewed 7 February 2013

My dad took us fishing there a lot. It is so quiet and peaceful. Good fishing. We never went boating but they have a boat ramp.

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Just a nice, quiet place to get away for a day. We like to go discover the different places that La. has to offer. It is not the greatest, but it is peaceful and full of birds.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Here's a place for a nice picnic n fishing. The fishing is better at Cypremort Point plus, there's a sandy beach at the point. :) But, to get away from alot of traffic and just be able to enjoy a lakeview is nice. There's also cabin/apartment rentals for those wanting to spend the night. Cypremort Point has cabins,too. but, you have to reserve a month or so ahead of time. Not sure on Spanish Lake's reservations..on how far ahead you'de need to reserve...I don't think they're as busy as the point,though.

1  Thank tammyabear
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Man made. You can drive all the way around. There are a few peers. They stock it every once in a while. You catch more fish out in he middle.