“Beautiful”

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Well, for starters... We paid for the tour of the gardens and the Joseph Jefferson Mansion. The lady who took our $ at the gift shop told is that the tour started at 2:00 but that she would meet us on the back porch to start an informative film of the history of the grounds! We waited a while and she never came out to start the film. We decided to walk around the gardens before the house tour began. The grounds are very nice with beautiful flowers. There are peacocks roaming freely around. Very nice! There is a restaurant there I am assuming as I saw people eating. Some were outside eating with a gorgeous view if the oak tress and lake. As 2:00 rolled around, we went back to the porch assuming that is where we would be guided to start the tour. Nobody came so I went inside to ask the lady about the tour in which she informed me that it started at 2:00. I told her that I knew that and that we had been waiting. She said the tour started on the porch of the Jefferson house and that we missed it because we were late and we would have to wait for the 3:00 tour. I had a small child with me and had already been there an hour. I told her that not only did she leave us waiting to start the movie but also she was not specific on which porch to start the tour on. We had never been there before and could not have just known this. I asked her for a refund and she said no! I then hurried to the house to show up late and miss part of the tour! The lady that gave the tour of the house let us in with no problem and after she finished the tour, she offered to fill us in on what we missed! She asked us what happened and we told her. As we told her there was another lady that said she did not know where to go at first either. All in all it was a nice trip and the tour of the home was great as she was very nice and knew her history!!!

1 Thank Crandall12

San Diego, California
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“A nice retreat”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Sit back, relax and enjoy... that is what comes in mind when you are at this place. It is laid back and the atmosphere takes you back a few decades. The peacocks are fun to watch and enjoy the sunset over the lake.

Shreveport
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful and peaceful”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The gardens are wonderful. The Cafe is excellent! I recommend eating outside by the lake! I did not tour the house only because of my own time constraints.

Marcoussis
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Located 8 miles from New Iberia. We visited the gardens and the house, and had lunch in the Café. The guided tour of the house was very instructive (the guide knows her speech by heart) and captivating; The gardens are beautiful, and you will enjoy the peacocks; just take 1 or 2 crackers to feed them and they will come close to you and show off; The food at the Café was very good, and not too expensive;
Definitely a very nice attraction and good place to eat!

1 Thank JoelLeclair
Hammond, Louisiana
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A Real Jewel”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Rip Van Winkle Gardens and the Jefferson Home in the same location are one of the prettiest places we've ever been. Don't stay in a nearby cookie-cutter motel when the bed and breakfast facilities here are outstanding and reasonably priced as well. The view from the comfortable front porch rockers is so serene and entertaining too with the resident peacocks strolling about. This place has everything: beauty, charm, peace.

1 Thank Rebel_7