“Seeing the Area”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in New Iberia
Colorado Springs
“Seeing the Area”
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We did the work for you. As It was 4:00 and we had the time to investigate the cluster of hotels at the LA 14 and the Hwy that goes to Avery Island, we spent a lot of time looking at all, well most, of the hotels at the cluster of accomodations here.

We are now happily in a great room with very good features, totally pleased with the situation.

The real news is that one of the large TV was inop, and I could care less about it, but we had an 10 yo that felt he needed it for games -- I know don't blame me.

Any way the news is is that his mom called the Front desk and complained--- jeez before we knew it a very nice man was there to pick up the shot TV and - for real - inside of ten minutes, a new huge TV was put into the room and the maintainance guy was as nice as he could be, set the stupid thing up perfectly and all was well.

The rest of the night we spent playing Spades in the large (much lbigger then the other more expensive rooms around this hotel) and had a very nice time here.

I recommended TA folks giving this hotel serious consideration for value and service.

tom007

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Super8NewIberia, Guest Relations Manager at Super 8 New Iberia, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
We are very happy to have made your stay with us a great one. We hope that you stay with us again when your in the area and thank you for choosing Super 8 of New Iberia.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
new orleans, louisiana
Reviewed 28 December 2008

My credentials: 3 bachelor degrees in business and a Master of Science in Hotel and Tourism Management from the University of New Orleans.

Dear General Manager (Ms. Anne):
This posting could have been avoided were you a good manager.

I was a walk in on a Saturday night. The young lady at the desk during my checkin has many qualities left to be desired. She "hates housekeeping". Uses politically incorrect language that could be considered offensive and was taken as such.
Here we go:
Housekeeping left trash cans from the hotel rooms in the public areas filled with trash.
Every cord was unplugged in my room.
The internet did not work as advertised.
Stains all over the carpet and bedspread.
Please put dressings on bed as follows: sheet, sheet, blanket, comforter and not sheet, blanket, sheet, because no one wants to put a unwashed blanket against their skin. I had to dress two beds.
Hairs on the sink, toilet, and bathtub.
TV was fuzzy on half the channels.

Checkout: 25 dollar extra charge added for a pet charge. I was not asked if I had a pet at check in. I was told housekeeping put the charge on the bill, they denied it and blamed it on the check in lady. The check out clerk was not empowered by Anne ( the general manager) to change a charge on a guest account. (Ritz Carlton empowers their employees with 2500 dollars per customer to ensure their happiness). Empowerment of employees is a standard practice in the hospitality world. I was told the charge would be removed when the general manager came in and my guest account sheet was signed as such by the desk clerk and housekeeping manager. I was also told Anne, the general manager would call me.

Monday morning I had two charges on my account: One for 75 dollars and another for 100 dollars. I called Anne to find out what was going on, but she hung up on me stating "There is a pet fee and the sign is posted". Did she know I had driven for twelve hours and couldnt hardly stand up when I checked in, must lest look for signs in Arial 12 font? I wanted to address the charges on my account ,but she rudely hung up on me. I called back and asked for the Haines franchise 1800 number and was told I could call, but Anne is the daughter of the owner and it would do no good.

I spoke to someone at Haines corporate who was empathetic to my grievances. She said she would straighten things out. I only wanted the pet charge removed. Said she would call back. She did'nt.

I had to dispute the charges with my bank.which was on listed on my debit card. They could have overdrawn my account taking two authorizations I never signed off on the mastercard slip, because I was not satisfied with my nights stay or the total bill amount.

I called corporate Best Western and reported my grievance to their customer service department. I am not sure what they did on there end, but I did tell them I would be posting on Trip Advisor.

So, Ms. Anne. Moral of the story. One customer can make a difference, so dont hang up on them. Listen to their story and do what you can to ensure they are happy. "The customer is alway right".....

I would advise against staying at this hotel. Use the one accross the street.

Warmest Regards,
An unhappy customer with a Master in Hotel and Tourism Management from an accredited university.

• Liked — That I only had to stay there one night.
  • Disliked — Ms. Anne the General Manager whom I never met but rudely hung up on me.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank qtrready
Super8NewIberia, Manager at Super 8 New Iberia, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
I would like to thank you for your review. We now have a new general manager who is very experienced in hospitality and would love to have you back at our hotel to give us another try. Since you last stayed not only have we gotten a new general manager, but we also changed brands to a super 8. We are also in the process of many improvements. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly to speak to our new manager next time you are in the area, her name is Pam Blanchard. Thank you and we hope that you give us another try.

Amanda
Holly Springs
Reviewed 17 August 2008

We just spent 10 long days in the Best Western in New Iberia with a 10 under baseball team that played a world series tournament in Abbeville, LA. Unfortunately this was our best option within a 30 mile radius of the ball field and it was nothing more than a truck stop. The front desk people were less than accommodating and we are nothing more than an inconvenience to their day. Over the 10 day period we were never made to feel "the customer is always right" rather we had no idea what was going on and they had no intention of pleasing us. The breakfast duo were nothing more than nazis of the breakfast food who routinely closed the doors at 8:55 am and refused to restock items that were out as the food ration had been served for the day. The rooms were damp and musty although the suites were large and accommodating. The saving grace of the trip were the housekeeping staff who kept our rooms clean and stocked with fresh linens and towels. Another bonus were the roaches and ants that made their way into some rooms. Can't say I will ever have a return trip.

• Liked — Angela the housekeeper
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank demondeacfan
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 June 2008

We stayed here on the last leg of our Louisiana vacation, not looking for an expensive hotel but a comfortable night's sleep for our family of four. Our older children, ages 19 and 22 were very comfortable in the suite. We have stayed at similar properties before while on the road so we knew what we were reserving when we chose this hotel.

The suites are located towards the back of the property, away from the road (and traffic noise). They are newer and well maintained. There is a nice pool on the premises and the breakfast actually has protein foods like EGGS! It is a better breakfast than usual in this price range- the folks in New Iberia take pride in their businesses. This is a good launching point for visiting Shadows on the Teche plantation home and Avery Island, home of the Tabasco Sauce factory and bird sanctuary. If you want to see alligators, take this little side tour.

• Liked — Convenience and Breakfast
  • Disliked — Front of the property
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Texas
Reviewed 1 March 2008

Rude, unfriendly staff, stood at the counter while hotel clerk was clicking away on the keyboard, dind't even acknowledge me or anyone else, no smiles.

Checked into the room, which smelled funny, stunk of mold and ammonia. The AC unit was clearly filthy inside. Shower dripped/ran non stop, beds were terrible, toilet had a chain that was too long and got caught under the flapper, causing it to run. I wouldn't pay 50 bucks to stay here.

Unacceptable. Sleep in the rental car. Its cleaner.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Louisiana
Reviewed 25 April 2005

My kids and I along with other family members stayed at this hotel in March of 2004. The hotel is terrible. It smelled and the ac didn't work. The front desk and manager were of no help. There a much nicer suite hotel maybe 2 blks. from this one. We should have stayed there.

4 Thank Leslie D
Paris, France
Reviewed 27 October 2004

Room was clean and comfortable, but soundproofing was bad. So, avoid rooms situated just in front of the road.
In comparison, others Best Western hotels where I stayed were better ! so I wouldn't stay there again.