“Worth the price!”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Opelousas
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Worth the price!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Check in was a breeze. Room was clean and comfortable. Bed was amazing. Nice touch having a refrigerator with complementary water. Noticeable wear and tear in the bathroom, but nothing worth complaining about. Breakfast was delicious. Since it was free I won't dwell on the fact that the waffle maker kept getting stuck and that they're was at least a ten minute wait to get one. Casino service better than expected. Restaurants exceeded expectations. Overall, great hotel!!

• Stayed November 2013
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out our trip advisor survey with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Patrick Arceneaux

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

As a Puerto Rican and natural born US citizen, this hotel casino had me dealing with one of the most embarrassing and discriminating situations I've been through in my life. They refused my completely valid driver's license/state ID because according to them us Puerto Ricans need to show a passport since we're not a state. We are NOT required to issue a passport at all and our state ID is as valid as that of the any other 50 states. Get your small town mentality out of the hole and educate yourselves better so you and your staff can provide a better service.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank vreiley
Thank you for leaving an online survey regarding your recent stay at Evangeline Downs Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our casino for failing to meet your expectations regarding I.D. verification process on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with Casino to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Opelousas.

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I've stayed her as well as had my friends here since it's opened too many times to count. Always the people working are friendly and helpful! If another hotel guest is disturbing your comfort all you have to do is call downstairs and they will fix whatever they can. The free breakfast us always a plus! My favorite is their sausage and gravy with a biscuit and bacon!:)

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Patches0602
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
We very much appreciate and value your feedback. Your responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Erath, Louisiana
Reviewed 29 December 2013

After reading some of the reviews, I was a little worried, but I got in my room and all my concerns were gone. The room was a lot larger than most rooms. We had a perfect room, 201. It was at the end of the hall and nothing near us. The room was really clean. Bathroom was larger than expected and well stocked. It had many towels and first class amenities. The breakfast was well done and had a variety of items. They only problem was that there was no juice. The machine was broken and none in the little fridge.

Room Tip: Room 201 was perfect. If you have the option to ask for it, I would suggest that one. I am guessin...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Rayne, Louisiana
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My family and I staid there 11-29-13 it was 8pm before we had any towels in the room and I had to go get them Myself. It seems the motel has a shortage of towels or not prepared for a large group at one time. There should be enough towels for every room for at least 2 days. Then the pool and hot tub was shut down the kids had nothing to do except drive us nuts from being bored. I have staid there before and it was great. This trip was just not and enjoyable one couldnt wait to get back home...

Room Tip: In my eyes its not a good place to go during a holiday or if it's booked up
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding linen shortage and closed pool on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with the entire staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Lake Charles, Louisiana, Usa
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed one weekend night for a reunion of local classmates. The hotel was easy to check in, but rooms on a weekend are booked fully, so our check-in was at nearly 4 o'clock. Rooms are nicely appointed, and the beds were exceptionally soft with pillow top mattresses. Refridge, large tv, coffeemaker, but the clock was probably bought at a local wal mart, and was difficult to set. Bad. All the food restaurants were located in the casino area, and while considered non-smoking, were nauseatingly smoky. And if you stay on a weekend, be prepared for a VERY NOISY EVENI G!! Reunions, weddings, and family events make this a VERY noisy hotel. Management was contacted twice about noise, but nothing was done to correct the problem. I'm too old for these type hotels!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank taylorc225

Grapevine, Texas
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I was driving from south Florida to Dallas and after a long, long drive, my husband reserved a room at this Ascend Collection hotel, through our Choice Hotels program, because it was supposed to be really nice, and pet-friendly. It was an hour out of my way, but I said okay since I had never stayed at an Ascend Collection Hotel. I didn't know this hotel was connected to a casino and race track, since my husband booked it while I was driving.
Pros
I had a room with a King bed. The room was a nice size with round table and chairs, desk, sofa, bar area. It had a comfortable bed and pillows with black/white checkered floors and bedding with red accents, new carpet and the furniture looked clean. There were a couple of small bottles of water in the refrigerator and some microwave popcorn. The towels were huge, soft and white. It has an indoor pool and hot tub and the some kids there were having fun. It was extremely quiet considering there was a casino next door. The morning desk staff were very helpful, nice, and congenial, as were the breakfast ladies.
Cons
The bathroom was small compared to the room, but had a big vanity with mirror too far away to be useful. I would suggest a magnification mirror for shaving or putting on makeup. The coffeemaker contraption; is a waste of coffee and water. I never found any ice machine on the 3rd floor and is not feasible to take children/puppies up and down the different floors trying to find some ice. You had to use the block out shades and you couldn't open the curtains because the blinking lights were so annoying. I had my two puppies with me and I went an hour out of my way to stay there. My husband called the hotel and explained that I was arriving late and requested a 1st floor room, if possible. We were put on the 3rd floor, at the very end, by the elevator and vending machines. So I had to wrestle with them up and down the elevator numerous times. With a pet charge of $50 on top of the regular room charge, it was too much for nothing extra! We didn't see, nor were we told of any safe pet walking, or play area, like other pet-friendly Choice Hotels! Not even a dog treat! Instead I had to walk in the parking lot late at night trying to find a place to walk them safely. I didn't get an opportunity to visit the casino or track because it was late, and I left very early at 630am, but it wasn't worth the extra hour out of my way to get there.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 335, the blinking lights will make you crazy. Don't stay next to the door...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Thanks you for your feedback it is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelousas
Holiday Inn Opelousas
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#22 of 50 in Lafayette
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Breaux Bridge

Been to Evangeline Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!