“Pretty good”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Houston
“Pretty good”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for three nights and used as a base to explore the area. Rooms are good, decor is quite dark, but ok. Bathroom was clean but the shower is very slippery so beware. Overall service, cleanliness etc was good. Review would have been 4 stars but the Saturday night was terrible. Noisy and it seemed like a children's club. Avoid Saturday if you want any sleep.

Room Tip: No ice above 2nd floor, so if you need it stay on 1 or 2.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mediocriollo
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thanks for taking time to leave a trip advisor review. Your input is very important to us and will help us improve these imperfections. Thanks again

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Texas
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We usually stay at the Comfort Inn in this town but had a casino deal making the overall cost about the same. Upon arrival there were several people in the lobby as they could not be checked in until the rooms were "cleared", apparently a computer process that needed to be completed. Once we were finally checked in it was pretty much an average stay at a choice hotel. Rooms were average size and comfortable, breakfast was good, and staff were helpful. This place is usually priced higher than other places in town, I presume because it is attached to the casino, but don't come expecting a typical casino hotel or you will be disappointed. Unless you plan to get too drunk to drive back to another hotel, there is nothing here that justifies the normal higher rate. Does have an indoor pool but fills with kids pretty quickly rendering it unusable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Wichitadave
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thanks for your feedback, it is very important to us and we can assure you that we will use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We hope to see you again soon!

New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Well since my last review of this hotel in July of last year, things have taken a turn for the worst. My mother got us the room and is VIP at Evangeline Downs. So much good that does because the way this staff treats VIP guest is atrocious. We have stayed here about 4 times since July 2013 and each time got worse. This time was absolutely unacceptable. My mother checked into the room earlier on Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014. I came in town for a First Communion celebration for my niece. After spending the evening at my brothers home we went to the hotel and got there about midnight. We go ready for bed and used the restroom and the commode would not flush. My partner went down to the front desk for a plunger and was told that they did not have one. The agent went to a mechanical room to look for one as my partner followed. She did not find one there either. She said she would look for one and get back with us. This was about 1:30 am. We were so tired and could not stay up waiting to be called back that we went to sleep. The next morning we called the front desk to ask about a plunger letting the lady know that we have been waiting for one since 1:30am. The lady said she did not have one and that housekeeping did not come in until 9:00am. I went downstairs to use the restroom by the pool because our commode was backed up to the rim. After using the restroom in a public one when we had a hotel room I went to get coffee in the breakfast area about 7:30-7:45 am. The lady at the front desk was talking with about 5 housekeeping ladies in the laundry room behind the desk with the laundry door open. They were all getting towels and folding towels and obviously working. I then went upstairs to our room and told my partner about the ladies downstairs all working and he went down. Well Ms. Williams (the name that she gave him) said....They are not clocked in, when he asked if one of the 5 housekeepers that were there could please go and get a plunger for him. When he came up and told me that, I went downstairs to tell Ms. Williams that I was calling the Labor Board on the hotel which I will for having employees in an area working if they are indeed not on the clock. We were so frustrated that we got our things and checked out and went to my mothers home. We did not take a shower as the restroom was not able to be used. As I left, I told Ms. Williams that I worked for Hilton and why did she treat us that way? Why did she not get us a plunger? She said that she looked for one but...I told her that I would be leaving a review on Tripadvisor and asked if this was a Choice Hotel. She answered back in a smart smirk as if she could not be bothered that I was a living and breathing person. When I told her about Tripadvisor, either she or the lady at the computer with glasses and a grey wrap in her hair laughed for a second as to mock me.

The room condition was inhumane. I thought I was staying a hotel in a third world country, NOT America. How can a human being like Ms. Williams expect a guest in a hotel to be okay with those conditions? Is that how she would want to be treated and let me tell you I was extremely nice due to my mothers name on the room. Ms. Williams and the rest of the staff is a disgrace to the hospitality industry. She does not need to have contact with human beings if she treats them like this. I am not sure why she hated us. It was not like we asked her to fix it for us.

I understand the Hotel is separate from the Casino but you would think that the Hotel could call the maintenance from the Casino and get a plunger. So no one in the whole establishment has one. Then go to Wal-Mart, it is 1/2 mile away. The fact that Ms. Williams did not even care that we were human beings in need of a inhumane situation as fowl as a commode being backed up taken care of is disturbing. What is disturbing is that a manager or maintenance was not called to handle the issue that she obviously could not. DO NOT STAY HERE...IT IS NOT WORTH IT. IT HAS BECOME DIRTY AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF HOTELS AROUND EVANGELINE DOWNS TO STAY.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank cajuntxn
Allow me to apologize on behalf of our hotel for failing to meet your expectations regarding your experience on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with my entire staff to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Again, thank you for your time and valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate it and hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Opelousas.

The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I must admit I had my doubts after reading such negative reviews. But to my delight and comfort, this hotel is a good palce to stay. The staff was courteous, and helpful. I needed extra towels in my room, so I just went to the front desk and asked and was given promptly. The breakfast they had was no better or worse than other hotels, typical fair. May I suggest to management that you have help for that weekend staffer, she gets overwhelmed with people, and franlky too many for any one person to deal with. The beds were comfortable, the room was almost soundproof, did hear the thunder roll in one night, but you can't quiet mother nature. It was easy to find, parking was a breeze. All in all since I have family in Ville Platte, I would stay there again. If you are in to gambling the casino is right there, can't comment on that too much since I don't gamble. I did go to the Cafe 24/7 inside the hotel, terrible service but food is good. Got our food comped since we waited an hour for a simple hotdog and hamburger order.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elsa G
Thank you for taking the time to complete our trip advisor online survey regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

Louisiana
Reviewed 16 February 2014

The room was very big and the bed was comfortable. It had a very masculine feel to it, but it was nice. The bathroom was a deal-breaker. It was small and dirty. There was very little water pressure. The baseboards had a black layer of dirt on the top edge. The shower walls needed scrubbing. There was no tub, but a shower that just had a curtain, no door. There was no slip-proof surface in the shower. I slipped and caught myself. When I stepped out of the shower, I had to lay towels on the floor so I didn't slip on the slick tile. I warned my husband about the slippery shower, but he took a slide too. I heard several guests asking the front desk workers for towels. We paid the pre-paid rate of $100. Really too much for the quality and lack of amenities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank popuplily
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Check in was a breeze. Room was clean and comfortable. Bed was amazing. Nice touch having a refrigerator with complementary water. Noticeable wear and tear in the bathroom, but nothing worth complaining about. Breakfast was delicious. Since it was free I won't dwell on the fact that the waffle maker kept getting stuck and that they're was at least a ten minute wait to get one. Casino service better than expected. Restaurants exceeded expectations. Overall, great hotel!!

• Stayed November 2013
GeneralManagerLA252, General Manager at Evangeline Downs Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out our trip advisor survey with such positive feedback! I have shared your comments with my staff, and they join me in thanking you for your kind words. We take pride in our hotel and the services we provide and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay.

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

As a Puerto Rican and natural born US citizen, this hotel casino had me dealing with one of the most embarrassing and discriminating situations I've been through in my life. They refused my completely valid driver's license/state ID because according to them us Puerto Ricans need to show a passport since we're not a state. We are NOT required to issue a passport at all and our state ID is as valid as that of the any other 50 states. Get your small town mentality out of the hole and educate yourselves better so you and your staff can provide a better service.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank vreiley
Thank you for leaving an online survey regarding your recent stay at Evangeline Downs Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member.

Allow me to apologize on behalf of our casino for failing to meet your expectations regarding I.D. verification process on your recent visit. I have shared your feedback with Casino to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.

Evangeline Downs Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelousas
Holiday Inn Opelousas
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Breaux Bridge
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#22 of 50 in Lafayette

Been to Evangeline Downs Hotel? Share your experiences!