“Lovely stay”

Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blackrod
Reviewed 13 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

There are newer reviews for Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was booked on a 3 day course in Bolton and decided to pick this hotel due to location, reviews and leisure facilities. As this was the first time I had travelled without my wife or children, I was looking for somewhere quiet to relax, a leisure area to workout and chill in and also work in the evening from the comfort of my room.
I arrived on Monday (3/3/14) and was duly given my room key for the furthest away room on the top floor...a so called suite (882).
The room was in the roof attic and I had two very grubby velux roof windows to overlook the main Blackrod road.
Given the title of a suite, this unfortunately does not match any size of suite in any other hotel I have stayed in, in my 44 years on this world.
The room wasn't the cleanest, the lack of towels was a minor issue but a severe lack of sockets to charge phones. laptops etc or use whilst sitting/laying on bed, resulted in no TV, as this was the nearest single socket available to the bed!!
The free Wi-Fi as described on the website and all round the hotel is at best a dial up speed. (You can pay I found out via a very rude receptionist on my last evening approx. £10 a DAY for super speed broadband. Thanks but no thanks I pay that at Home per 6 weeks for infinity super speed!!)
Minor but basic things also leave me with a sour experience. The leisure facilities clearly are run as a separate club to the hotel and I always felt the staff were rather unhelpful towards a hotel guest using the facility. No hooks outside the Steam room to hang up a towel, no towels provided by the leisure club, you have to take the towels out of your room, no signs to say padlocks for lockers (whats left of working non damaged ones) were with reception, and under age of 12 children being taken into sauna and steam room clearly in the eyesight of the staff...
I only had breakfast within the hotel and this was good with a large range of choice, however on the first two days, no check into breakfast existed (so Joe public could have sat down and had a free feast), but wouldn't of got any coffee or tea in a hurry unless they asked the waiters Like I did for all 3 days.
And last but not least, be careful where you park your car in the rear car park. DO not on a Tuesday night park to the end where the exit lane is. I walked out to see a local group/rugby team of over 30 people using the car park as a training pitch. Not overly impressed with this given the large number of expensive cars in this area.
Truly a shame given that quite a few of the local business in the area promote this hotel on their website as a place to say. Suffice to say the company whom I was attending found my comments of use (as well as previous candidates similar experiences and reflections)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Adie-Norman
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Adrian
Many thanks once again for your feedback and sharing your experience, I was sorry to read we didn’t live up to your expectations on this occasion and I have already shared your comments with team taking view it aids us to constantly move forward.
Thankyou once again
Mercure Bolton Georgian House

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a St Davids Day special trip. Fantastic swiming pool, room was a bit dated.
Service in the evening was fantastic and the food was 10/10.
I would stay here again for the price we payed through a 3rd party agent

• Stayed: March 2014
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear iwan99

Many Thanks for reviewing us on Tripadvisor, your kind words and sharing your experience.

I will be sure to pass on to the Chef and the waiting team your great comments about the food and service.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

A late review, but scene there was still in mind. We stayed there 2 nights,no.448, from 8 to 10 Feb, in order to explore Bolton and soccer match in Old Trafford.
Location might need visitors eyes on if never been there, not near the town center, but only 2 mins drive or 10mins short walk will get you everythings, shopping malls, arena, stadium near Middlebrook of Bolton, very convenient.
Our room is at the roof level with a big carpark view, very spacious with a couch,comfy king size bed, two classy big sloping windows (my first experience with such, appreciate), nothing missing out with a hotel ensuite. The bath room is in good size, but the water supply seems tight during our stay, not sure if there is any irregularity with the shower pressure.
Breakfasts were also in fantastic quality and quantity, our first was buffet as Sunday morning, brunch timing; second was in chef cook ordered, either one also impressive and better than expected. All staffs are helpful and attentive.
What a pity that we missed the indoor spa and gym room as we rushed for the other activities, although we planned to use them, both looked well equipped. We seldom booked a hotel with these facilities under our budget, appreciated that could free to use, highly recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Dear MYC328

It is always great to receive feedback, and I will share your comments with the team

Once again many thanks and hopefully we can welcome you back in the not too distant future when hopefully you will get time to use our Leisure facilities

Reviewed 24 February 2014

My partner booked us a one night stay with a 3 course meal as a Valentines present. We upgraded the room upon booking in for £20 extra. We were then told that due to low occupancy the main restaurant would be closed and we were to have our romantic Valentines dinner in the sports bar. We were dissapointed about this as we have 2 children and nights away are very rare. Even though that was the situation the hotel was very clean the staff were excellent making our stay very enjoyable. The food was delicious so when we considered it all together the hotel was great. Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Lizyvic

I was sorry to read we didn’t live up to your initial expectations but pleased to read that we redeemed ourselves in other areas

Reviewed 22 February 2014

From ceremony through to reception we had our entire wedding at this hotel. There is absolutely nothing we can fault, the food was fantastic, the staff were amazing especially those in charge of helping the day run smoothly and helping set it up in the first place, nothing was too much and they were very skilled in calming everyones nerves for the big day!! The venue itself was brilliant, there are some great spots outside for wedding photos and luckily for us the weather held out! we would definitely stay again in the future!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Lucy
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and also letting us play a part in your special day. It’s fair to say I think the team themselves enjoyed their part in the proceedings and got very embroiled in the theme of the wedding.
Once again many thanks and we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future
Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 19 February 2014

No-one on reception when I arrived, although other members of hotel staff stood around watching me whilst I looked around, uncertain if what I was looking at really was the reception desk. (It was).

Despite checking in quite early I was allocated the room next to the lift, although in fairness I didn't hear any lift noise, only noise from the room above, which was quite intrusive.

The room was a decent size, although the bathroom rather tired and the shower leaked badly. However, the strangest thing was the complete absence of any bedside tables. This meant there was nowhere to put glasses, phone etc where they would be near at hand during the night. Apparently this is intentional as it means the double bed can be split to make a twin room.

Food in the bar and at breakfast was fine. No-one on reception again at checkout.

All in all an adequate place to stay on business as long as you don't need glasses, and are a heavy sleeper. On the plus side, the hotel was nice and warm.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Tribpot
Many thanks for taking the time to review us on tripadvisor, I am pleased to say the bedside tables have been returned to the bedroom in question and agree with you it was a little strange to say the least
once again many thanks for taking the time to highlight this to me
Yours Sincerely
Eric Spencer-Smith

Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackrod
Bolton Whites Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
#10 of 13 in Bolton
Travelodge Bolton Central River Street

Been to Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel? Share your experiences!