“Excellent service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel

Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Blackrod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was our surprise hotel on a tour and have to say that I was disappointed. I didn't expect the Ritz and on first glance the hotel is very nice. The room was OK, maybe a bit tired but adequate even with an ill fitting velux window. Bed really comfortable, well done. Issues I had include the evening meal, which may have been constructed within a strict budget but which was pretty poor fare, and the fact that the staff, although cheerful, seem a bit overstretched to cope with the numbers of guests and prone to disappearing. The service in the bar in the evening was desultory at best and we had to chase up tea for breakfast. I also cannot understand why drinks are so prohibitively expensive - £20 for a bottle of wine which would only cost £6 at most - surely a more modest mark up would improve sales. I can only assume that had we paid more we would have got better service but as it stands I will definitely not going back to find out.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear HillJilly

Many Thanks for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor, I was disappointed to read we didn’t live up to our usually high level of customer satisfaction on the Saturday evening, please allow me to express my apologies

We had asked that both groups not arrive for dinner at the same time as this would delay service; unfortunately they both arrived at the same time which in turn stretched the team.
Thank you again for the feedback and once again accept my appologies

Yours sincerely
Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We had our daughters wedding reception here on Saturday, everything went perfectly. The room was beautifully dressed, food lovely and staff very attentive. We couldn't find fault with anything and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a stress free wedding reception .

Stayed March 2014
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear 46Clarkey
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor and also letting us play a part in your special day. It’s fair to say I think the team themselves enjoyed their part in the proceedings and got very embroiled in the day.
Once again many thanks and we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future
Yours Sincerely
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my fiancé stay here regularly and have even stayed over Christmas. We absolutely adore their cute little apartments and their rooms. The staff are so helpful, friendly and are more than happy to help you with anything you need. The restaurant is beautiful and the spa is an absolute must! I can not recommend this hotel enough!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AndieReilly01
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Andy Reilly
Many Thanks for reviewing us on Tripadvisor, your kind words and sharing your experience. I will be sure to pass on to the team your great comments about the service. Once again many thanks and hopefully we can welcome you back in the not too distant future
Yours
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I was booked on a 3 day course in Bolton and decided to pick this hotel due to location, reviews and leisure facilities. As this was the first time I had travelled without my wife or children, I was looking for somewhere quiet to relax, a leisure area to workout and chill in and also work in the evening from the comfort of my room.
I arrived on Monday (3/3/14) and was duly given my room key for the furthest away room on the top floor...a so called suite (882).
The room was in the roof attic and I had two very grubby velux roof windows to overlook the main Blackrod road.
Given the title of a suite, this unfortunately does not match any size of suite in any other hotel I have stayed in, in my 44 years on this world.
The room wasn't the cleanest, the lack of towels was a minor issue but a severe lack of sockets to charge phones. laptops etc or use whilst sitting/laying on bed, resulted in no TV, as this was the nearest single socket available to the bed!!
The free Wi-Fi as described on the website and all round the hotel is at best a dial up speed. (You can pay I found out via a very rude receptionist on my last evening approx. £10 a DAY for super speed broadband. Thanks but no thanks I pay that at Home per 6 weeks for infinity super speed!!)
Minor but basic things also leave me with a sour experience. The leisure facilities clearly are run as a separate club to the hotel and I always felt the staff were rather unhelpful towards a hotel guest using the facility. No hooks outside the Steam room to hang up a towel, no towels provided by the leisure club, you have to take the towels out of your room, no signs to say padlocks for lockers (whats left of working non damaged ones) were with reception, and under age of 12 children being taken into sauna and steam room clearly in the eyesight of the staff...
I only had breakfast within the hotel and this was good with a large range of choice, however on the first two days, no check into breakfast existed (so Joe public could have sat down and had a free feast), but wouldn't of got any coffee or tea in a hurry unless they asked the waiters Like I did for all 3 days.
And last but not least, be careful where you park your car in the rear car park. DO not on a Tuesday night park to the end where the exit lane is. I walked out to see a local group/rugby team of over 30 people using the car park as a training pitch. Not overly impressed with this given the large number of expensive cars in this area.
Truly a shame given that quite a few of the local business in the area promote this hotel on their website as a place to say. Suffice to say the company whom I was attending found my comments of use (as well as previous candidates similar experiences and reflections)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Adie-Norman
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Adrian
Many thanks once again for your feedback and sharing your experience, I was sorry to read we didn’t live up to your expectations on this occasion and I have already shared your comments with team taking view it aids us to constantly move forward.
Thankyou once again
Mercure Bolton Georgian House
Amlwch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a St Davids Day special trip. Fantastic swiming pool, room was a bit dated.
Service in the evening was fantastic and the food was 10/10.
I would stay here again for the price we payed through a 3rd party agent

• Stayed March 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
gm_mercureboltonwest, General Manager at Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear iwan99

I will be sure to pass on to the Chef and the waiting team your great comments about the food and service.

Yours
Eric Spencer-Smith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blackrod
Bolton Whites Hotel
Holiday Inn Bolton Centre
Britannia Bolton Hotel
Britannia Bolton Hotel
#10 of 13 in Bolton

Been to Mercure Bolton Georgian House Hotel? Share your experiences!