“A great place to rest your weary bones”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Half Moon Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llanthony
Half Moon Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Llanthony B&B and Inns
London
“A great place to rest your weary bones”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2011

A very welcoming little B+B away from almost any other civilisation in the heart of a picturesque valley. We were the only guests and it was off season, but George opened the pub just for us, fired up the wood burner, cooked us a great meal and served up several fine beers. And then did it again the next night! The rooms were basic but clean and comfortable, with a sink, kettle, tea and coffee and everything you need. The communal showers and toilets were also clean and worked fine.

Basically, a great (and great value) place to rest up and feed up after a day exploring and enjoying the peaceful surrounding countryside. Thanks George, would happily return.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Walker13London
georgelaw1, Owner at Half Moon Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2015
Thank you you are right what more can i say.
Thanks again.
George

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Solihull, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2010

The surrounding area is breathtaking and I love the element of escapism. The hotel exterior is beautiful and traditional but the inside was so disappointing. The breakfast area looked more like a cheap inner city cafe complete with a greasy fry up, the rooms are poorly designed with tasteless furniture. Nobody help me carry my heavy luggage upstairs, i was waiting 2 hours for my room to be cleaned and while i was waiting children were running around, slamming the keys on the piano and both upstairs and downstairs is a discusting smell of grease from the kitchen.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Jay1989
Half-Moon-Wales, Owner at Half Moon Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Well i am sorry we did not live up to your needs in this case.
We do try and you are one of the first to moan about the breakfast if you had spoke to me at the time i would have tryed to see how i could have done better for you If anyone does need any thing please let me know and i will try and get it for you.
Kids running around playing with the piano etc live and let live i say on this.
Is this my fault ???
Sorry i did not meet your needs this time
George
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I booked a night in this B&B fully expecting it to be basic after reading the other reviews. But it appears that the staff can not even take a booking for a room. I booked a room two weeks ago and phoned again the night before to confirm the booking, only to be told that they have lost my booking and there are no rooms available. The man I spoke to when booking the room either did not record my booking or it was cancelled becuase they had a large group of people staying that weekend. Thankfully I phoned the night before otherwise we would have finished a long days walking to be told by Half Moon Inn that they had no room booked for us. What makes this worse is that the owner took no responsibility for their mistake and said that I must have phoned somewhere else. I certainly will not be tempted to phone or stay at Half Moon Inn.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lifesanexperience
Half-Moon-Wales, Owner at Half Moon Inn, responded to this review, 1 February 2011
Hi It worrys me that this person can write this without taking some of the blame for his self. I looked into this complant asked my staff etc and still i do not feel that he did make a booking here with us
(1) He says he was not asked for a deposit Something we always do.
(2) He was not handed over to me or my partner to take the booking again we also do all the bookings in ( He say a member of staff took it, we try not to allow this ever)
(3) We were fully booked up by a big group months before he phoned up and they had payed a deposit so we would have said no as he claimed he phoned two weeks before ?????
(4) I believe he tryed to book the room that day and was upset when there was no room so he so he got angry and took it out hereby writing this.
If we have made a mistake here i am sorry but i would have owned up to it as we all do make mistakes in our life but i know something else is wrong here.
(5) He was never asked to leave his phone number something we allways do

As i said to him on the phone and i belive this to be truefull he may have booked elsewere
i also offered him a free weekend in case it was our doing but all i got was a very angry response from him.

So as from this year if you enclose a sae when you sent the deposit we will respond and sent it back to you also if you enclose your email address again i will respond if you so wish.
If at any time you need to confirm the booking please phone us best a few days before just for peace of mind
In five years now of running the Moon this is a first. its never happened to us before and hopefully never again >SORRY>
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

The Black Mountains are a destination for people who like the outdoors and are not in need of a luxury hotel. The Half Moon is for people who want a break from the stress of everyday city life. There are no TVs, nor has it an Internet connection. And that is what makes this place so special, once you are in your room there is nothing - no traffic noise no light pollution. Just peace and quiet. On a clear night you can see the stars like you haven't seen them for a long time. The rooms are basic, clean and the bed was comfy.
There is at least one room for people traveling with a dog, which is a big plus for me.
There has been a comment about a problem with hot water on this site, I certainly had no problem with hot water at any time during my stay.
The biggest selling point however is George the landlord who told us a lot about the area and interesting places to visit and walking routes. He also makes a perfect breakfast. The food in general is very good and the portions are very generous.
In the pub downstairs you will always find friendly people to talk to.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
georgelaw1, Owner at Half Moon Inn, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
yes you are right for the price it home from home
thanks again
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

Friendly place to stay. Good home cooked food, and generous portions. Accommodation was basic, with shared bathrooms and no TV. Also in need of some redecoration. Overall I had a great stay in a great location. Don't be put off by first impressions.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank et80
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

At the end of 8 hours hiking, the Half Moon was perfect - clean rooms and shared shower facilities with toiletries provided, a comfy bed, and great country meals to restore the strength for another day of hiking. I liked the extra little touches (face wipes and cotton buds for the girls, tea and coffee making facilities in the room), the price and the local feel (yes you can bring your dog to this pub) and would happily stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank wigletxyz
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2010

Fancied a day up in the Beacons as a last hurrah to my thirties... so spent the penultimate day of that decade testing out my spongy knees on the Llanthony Priory circuit. Couldn't get into the Llanthony Priory hotel, so got a room in the Half Moon for myself and a mate. It's cheap and cheerful, but comfortable and welcoming. Shared showers/toilets aren't an issue because there are three of each. The food's generous in portion size and very tasty, and the bar is lively in the evenings. In summary, if you're looking for an inexpensive place to lay your weary head after a brutal day in the hiking boots, you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Huwge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanthony
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 3 in Sennybridge
The Bear Hotel
The Bear Hotel
#2 of 17 in Crickhowell

Been to Half Moon Inn? Share your experiences!