“Great food”

Gabe's Cajun Food
Ranked #3 of 28 Restaurants in Rayne
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The food is great in reasonable priced eat here every time I come to town.we have tried the chicken and fish both excellent. But the frog legs are unbelievable. Never seen any that big before. Exit 87 in front of frog cite truck stop.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Gabe’s is the place that locals go. It is the place that people in the know leave the highway to visit. It is crowded with people who are not tourists. If you are looking for cloth napkins, go elsewhere. This is homemade heaven, not fast food. Peruse the menu, place your order, and have a seat. You’ll get yours in a paper basket or a Styrofoam takeout container, but you’ll enjoy some great and inexpensive eats!

In Lake Charles, Louisiana, Rob and I developed a taste for boudin sausage. If you’re unfamiliar with boudin, read this:

“I figure that about 80 percent of the boudin purchased in Louisiana is consumed before the purchaser has left the parking lot, and most of the rest is polished off in the car. In other words, Cajun boudin not only doesn’t get outside the state; it usually doesn’t even get home.”
– Calvin Trillin, from his essay, “The Missing Links: In Praise of the Cajun Foodstuff That Doesn’t Get Around.”

We were going to have boudin balls no matter what we ordered. Gabe’s were delicious.

The posted menu was too tempting for Rob who, if he had his druthers, would have had a little of everything. I thought he’d go for the frog legs as we were in Rayne, but it was the shrimp as we were in Louisiana, and the etoufee as we were in Cajun country that caught his eye. Served over rice with some fried shrimp and cole slaw as well, he was pleased with his Shrimp Etoufee.

I’m just too timid to try frogs’ legs. I stuck to my fried chicken favorite, only here it was Cajun Fried Chicken. I asked how hot it was, and the counter attendant said she didn’t know; it depended on who had made it in the morning! OK I played along, and the chicken was great. Spicy but not really hot. I also liked the dirty rice.

Lunch in Rayne was a happy time. I doubt if Gabe’s is on the tour bus lunch-stop list. It is a place like this that makes a road trip so super!

Reviewed 6 July 2013

Nothing fancy here but some down home customer service and apparently pretty good food. My husband and son plan their stay around Gabe's hours. The only downfall of this restaurant is they have unusual hours and are not always open.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

This place came highly recommended to me (especially the fried chicken) but I found the pieces (except maybe the breast) to be exceptionally small and the preparation was bad in that it was very greasy and had a funny taste. The Colonel has a much better product.

The sides generally lacked flavor as well. I will not be going back.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Gabe's is a tiny place sandwiched between the Sonic and Dairy Queen and Frog City Diner in Rayne, Louisiana. They are open Mon thru Sat 10am to 9pm (closed Sundays). The people are very friendly, the food is fresh, hot and good. My Dad is hooked on their fried catfish that has a batter like you'd find on Popeyes Fried Chicken..really good...not too salty or spicy but JUST the right amount of BOTH! The chicken is ALWAYS crispy and piping hot (UNLIKE the slop I had at Paula Deen's Lady and Sons where the soggy breading fell off the meat while sitting on the buffet line!) and the SHRIMP? Well let's say if I were to compare them to Chris' Poboys up in Lafayette, GABE'S would take that prize and RUN! If you're ever near Rayne, Louisiana (also known as The Frog Capital of The World)...stop in at Gabe's for a bite and while you're there get them to tell you about their concrete frog that sits in front of the restaurant on top of a hamburger...then take a stroll down the main drag of Rayne where you'll notice the Fireman Frog in front of the fire station and the Banker Frog in front of the bank and the Dentist Frog at the dentist office AND the PRIEST FROG in front of the local Catholic Church! This town LOVES their FROGS! I'd like to think of it as a sweet little side trip into Roadside America! Pull off of 1-10 and explore these little towns and you'll be happy you did!

Been to Gabe's Cajun Food? Share your experiences!