“Foot steps!”

The Myrtles Plantation
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed in the Fannie Williams room on a Monday night. We had taken the tour, which was nice, but when I walked into the ladies' parlor, I swore I saw someone's shadow walk by the window, but when I looked, no one was there. We sat on the porch until bedtime, because the sounds of the bull frogs were so relaxing. We went to bed and nothing very eventful happened...until around 4am. I awoke to the sound of footsteps outside my door. The only other couple in the hotel was staying in the room across the hall, so I figured it was them ghost hunting. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to get up and go to the bathroom. I realized that my footsteps did not sound the same as what I had heard nor was it as loud. I asked the people the next morning if they had gone into the hall around that time, and they said no, that you had gone to bed around midnight. I took pictures in the hall way that night before bed. As I was looking at the camera screen on my phone, I could see these "rods" flying through the air (there were no bugs that size inside). They were literally right in front of me! I tried taking pictures and caught a few, but these pictures don't do justice for what I could actually see! I've never seen anything like it. It looked like dragonflies w/o wings darting through the air.

The breakfast was good, and the owner sat with during breakfast and chit-chatted. He was very nice. Sadly, because we stayed on a Monday, the restaurant wasn't open, but I guess that'll give me another excuse to come back.

Room Tip: St. Francisville does not have a huge selection of restaurants, so plan accordingly.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank eidson72
There are newer reviews for The Myrtles Plantation

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Myrtles Plantation has an incredible magic to it. I have read two books about it. I have stayed here twice and will most likely stay here again. The staff is great and very well informed about the historical aspects, The breakfast served to guests is very good. The whole Myrtles experience is great. I choose to believe the spirits are friendly and have been totally entertained by them. My grandkids were with me on one visit and they also enjoyed the experience. Part of the charm of Myrtles is to stay in a different room each time as the experiences vary by room. So far, I have stayed in 3 of the rooms. I loved it!

Room Tip: Any room is good. They are all beautiful!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Betty A
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We went for a tour. Our guide was great! The house is gorgeous and the grounds are lovely. The restaurant was not open the day that we were visiting. The history of the place is tangible and mysterious. Unfortunately, they were doing renovations on the house while we were there and due to that we only was able to see a few rooms and the sounds of power tools was not only very distracting, but killed some of the tour for me. On that note, I will visit the house again next time I visit Louisana to see if the tour will be different.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Robin K
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed for one night. Thankfully, my phone got good reception-I'm not willing to completely unplug. The grounds are beautiful and well looked after; the house is clearly old and, while they could spend a little more time cleaning the rooms, I was OK with it. The bathroom in the Williams Winters room could definitely stand a renovation though. The beds could stand to be improved too; they're period beds, which makes them more authentic, but I'd be willing to trade that for a larger, more comfortable bed that doesn't squeak every time you move a millimeter. I'd really prefer it they were triple sheeted too. Overall, I'd definitely recommend the place to anyone and I don't see why there are so many negative reviews of the Carriage House restaurant - the food was good, the server was friendly...

Room Tip: The William Winters room is the only one with a bathroom in the room, but there's no shower and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank imthedoctor
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This place was awesome and you felt like you were living back in the past with no tv, internet, or phone in rooms. The décor was great, ground and house beautiful, and staff extremely friendly. The breakfast in morning was good and biscuits outstanding. We also ghost hunted while there and while very little activity in our room the care takers cottage was exteremly active according to ppl who stayed there. Would go back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank wizlucy
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here and absolutely loved it. We stayed in the Carriage House and loved that too. Yes, the rooms were small, but beautiful and we enjoyed the setting. And when you're up listening for ghosts you don't need a television. Just take a good book.

Now, what lots of people are interested in are the ghosts. I did not believe in ghosts, but our night's stay changed my mind. There were three things that happened, which could not be explained. Laughter heard outside, while sitting on the back veranda late night, and not a soul around after walking premises. Drums heard from cottage room, we were too afraid to look out the window for a long time. They went on for a long time. I was not a drive by car or from some kid's stereo. Thirdly, the wooden floor of home was "moving" during the ghost tour. But what was so strange about that, was my mother and I both felt it, but no one else noticed....and it wasn't from traffic. Hopefully if you stay here, you will have some strange occurrences as well :o) Two of our occurrences were explained to us the next day, when we bought a book that talked about the ghosts and details. I believe the book was actually purchased in Vicksburg, but they might also be available at the Myrtles. Happy hunting and good luck.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank funinthesun882
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I loved my stay at the myrtles, the staff was very friendly, especially Jules. When she brought us to our room the a.c. was not working and it was 87 degrees up there! She called the a.c. guy to come out and have it fixed and also gave us free tickets to the ghost tour later on that night. The Plantation is absolutely beautiful. The breakfast was really good, we had eggs, grits, sausage, biscuits and scones. Now the only complaint that I have is about the carriage house restaurant....before the ghost tour we decided to go have a drink at the bar...when we walked in we went to sit down, there were 3 staff members behind the bar when we sat down and not one of them even looked our way, asked us anything or even greeted us. They made us feel like they didn't even want us in there...it took 10 MINUTES BEFORE ANYONE EVEN ASKED US IF WE WANTED SOMETHING! The bartender that waited on us was named Steven and he was absolutely very rude to us...I couldn't believe that a person with that type of attitude could work in such a nice restaurant. Long story short, we gulped our drinks down as fast as we could because we just wanted to get out of there, other then that our stay was lovely. We will most definitely come back to myrtles, just won't step foot in the restaurant again.

• Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank Jamied25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Francisville
Best Western St. Francisville Hotel
Best Western St. Francisville Ho...
#1 of 3 in Saint Francisville
Oak Tree Inn - Livonia West
St. Francisville Inn
St. Francisville Inn
#5 of 9 in Saint Francisville

Been to The Myrtles Plantation? Share your experiences!