“A place to lay your head”
Review of The Hotel Francis

The Hotel Francis
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The setting by a lake is lovely and all the staff I encountered were very nice. The air conditioner worked really well although it was very noisy. Had to ask to change rooms because the commode in the first room was stopped up. The room also smelled pretty bad. The second room was nicer. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Breakfast was okay. If you just want a cheap place to stay and don't mind outdated accommodations, you might be happy with this place.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
cstroud, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay here with us at The Magnuson Hotel-St. Francisville. I'm glad to see your overall experience with us was a good one. I'm sorry you had an issue with the first room you were given but i'm happy to see we were able to find one to your liking. I'm also glad to see you enjoyed our comfortable beds and our warm and delicious breakfast buffet. We hope that if your travels should ever bring you back to our area, you will give us the opportunity to once again host you. It would be "Our Pleasure" to do so.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

To my fellow travelers, I will simply say this: STAY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
I will allow the pictures to speak for themselves (switched rooms at least 3 times). It is such a shame for this hotel to be so run down since the actual property has so much potential. I stayed here for a week on business (on someone else's dime). The only pleasantry was the old school gym with the near panoramic view of the lake. Most staff members were very accommodating. However, there were a few who seemed to be inconvenienced when trying to get assistance. As for the rooms, I was simply too tired of moving a week's work of luggage & gave up/in on move to room # 4. I truly hope this property can one day be properly renovated. As for my future stays, NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank wilba326
cstroud, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I'm sorry to see you experienced these issues while you were with us. We want all of our guests to feel like this is their home away from home when they stay with us and i'm sorry if we fell short in doing that. I am glad to see you enjoyed the gym and had pleasant interactions with most of the staff. I do hope you will give us another opportunity if you should ever come back to our area. It would be "Our Pleasure" to host you.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed with a group. The hotel seems to be uder permanent renovation. Have had promises of improvements but they never seem to be completed. The rooms ware small and noisy. Cleanliness just so so. That said the bed was comfortable and the staff pleasant. Good price compared to the other choices.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your recent review of your stay here with us at The Magnuson Hotel-St. Francisville. I'm glad to see your overall experience here with us was a pleasant one. We are continually upgrading and renovating in order to give our guests a more enjoyable experience. We hope that if you're ever back in the area, you will allow us to host you once again. It would be "Our Pleasure" to do so.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The pictures on the official website do not represent the actual condition of the hotel (total misadvertisement of the hotel). The front of the hotel seemed "okay." Nothing to write home about, but in decent shape. However, we were not given a room in the front. We got a room in the very back of the hotel and it was gross! First, we were told not to park in the lot behind the hotel, which would have been closest to our room. Therefore, it was a long walk for anyone staying in the rear of the premises. Second, the entire backside of the hotel was in complete disrepair. The paint was peeling off the door and window frames, the outside lights didn't work, and the pond was filled with grime. The room smelled "old." The bathroom was awful! The toilet was sitting on a little piece of wood and shifted every time I sat on it. There was rust all around the door frame and toilet paper holder, and there was a tennis ball-sized hole in the wall next to the toilet. The only redeeming quality was that the beds were comfortable. This place is not worth the money. I wish we had driven a little farther up the road and stayed somewhere else. If you have to stay here, ask to see the room first before you pay.

Room Tip: If you MUST stay, stay in a room closest to the lobby. They are in better condition than rooms in t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
cstroud, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I am sorry to see your stay with us was an unpleasant one. We wish for our guests to feel like this is their home away from home when they stay with us and unfortunately that was not the case with your stay. We are currently continuing renovations to our property, and in fact we do have several updated/renovated rooms at the hotel. I have spoken to my maintenance department concerning the issues you mentioned with your room and they are currently being taken care of. I am however glad to see your beds were comfortable.

We hope that if your travels ever bring you back to our area you will give us another opportunity to host you. It would truly be "Our Pleasure" to do so.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay in the sleepy little town of St. Francisville. I was in the area for several days and decided to bring my wife with me. The Magnuson hotel was one of two choices and fit the bill. The price was right and the room was clean and comfortable. There is a pool and exercise facility that we didn't use but we did use the laundry room and free breakfast. The breakfast server was friendly and made sure we had everything that we needed and even made waffles for us. The housekeeping staff was really friendly too and did a great job keeping things clean and tidy. The room was good and had a microwave and fridge was useful and the wireless internet worked well and easy to use. The only thing that the didn't have was an elevator which was no big deal. We will stay here again next year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of your stay here with us at The Magnuson Hotel-St. Francisville. I'm glad to see your stay with us was an enjoyable one. I especially like the fact you enjoyed our Deluxe Breakfast Buffet and homemade waffles. We hope that if your travels should ever bring you back to our area, you will give us the opportunity to host you once again. It would truly be "Our Pleasure.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The room was clean, all appliances were in working order, and the bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly. Wonderful to have a hot breakfast! I saw a review noting to "get there before the construction crew" basically implying nothing would be left. Well, this AM around 0700 males that could be considered "construction crew" were having breakfast-they too are guests of the property. Having so many guests there at the same time did slow things down a bit, however the lady working the breakfast bar this morning was in constant motion to keep things refilled, and was doing so while people were still standing at the bar to get other items. I don't envy her job, but she does it well. The property is well lit, parking close to front door. I would not be worried to stay here even as a single female traveling alone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
cstroud, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you so much for your recent review of your stay with us here at The Magnuson Hotel-St. Francisville. I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to enjoy our Deluxe Breakfast Buffet. We do tend to have workers stay with us as well but we always strive to make sure no one leaves hungry. I'm happy to see we didn't disappoint. Mrs. Jeanette, our breakfast lady loves to make sure everyone gets plenty to eat. We want our guests to feel like this is their home away from home when they stay with us so we hope if your travels should ever bring you back to St. Francisville, you will once again give us the opportunity to host you. It would truly be "Our Pleasure" to do so.

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Although the room appeared clean it smelled very musty. I would not have been able to stay there with allergies and asthma. But they would not let me cancel my reservation, even when I tried to explain we thought we were renting a different hotel because they advertised themselves as a best western. I still stayed elsewhere even though they refused to cancel my reservation. Very disappointing management.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank blaircarroll
Harold D, General Manager at The Hotel Francis, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2015

Dear Guest:
Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your stay went. I regret that you had a problem with your stay. I will address the problems with the staff to make things better. We are here to please our guests and would have bent over backwards to make sure your stay was a great one. I very sorry no one answer your review. I would for you to stay with use again to see the change in the hotel.
Thanks, H. Daniels, GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Francisville
Best Western St. Francisville Hotel
Best Western St. Francisville Ho...
#1 of 3 in Saint Francisville
#1 of 9 in Saint Francisville
Greenwood Plantation
Greenwood Plantation
#3 of 9 in Saint Francisville

Been to The Hotel Francis? Share your experiences!