“Very Nice, But a Few Problems”

Hilton Garden Inn Shreveport
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
Texas
“Very Nice, But a Few Problems”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed overnight in this hotel.

This is a nice property, new, and overall seemed clean and well-maintained. It is very well-landscaped. We thought the indoor pool/hot tub area was extremely attractive, and there was what appeared to be a well-stocked exercise room adjourning it. The pool was warmed, and we enjoyed our swim. We stayed in a suite, which was reasonably sized and appointed with the normal amenities: fridge, microwave, etc. The staff was all courteous and friendly, and the room was clean. The breakfast was a glorified version of the "free" breakfast most of us have come to expect. The difference is that at this Hilton, your hot food is cooked to order. It was very good, and there was a nice selection.

With all this, you may wonder why we only gave this hotel an average rating. Well.... there were a few problems that a potential guest needs to consider.

First was the bed. The Hilton Garden Inns use something called (I believe) the "Garden Sleep System." This consists of some type of adjustable-mattress bed, but it's not like a sleep-number bed. I believe it may be made of some type of foam. Even at its softest, this bed was like sleeping on a floor for me; it was so firm and unyielding that it HURT. It was a LITTLE softer than sleeping on a carpeted floor but you definitely slept ON it rather than IN it. I have a chronic pain condition and would NOT recommend it for anyone who normally hurts or needs a softer bed. My husband, who usually falls asleep quickly, even had a hard time falling asleep. We ended up wishing we'd have slept on the couch-bed and let our daughter have the King-sized one.

Second, was the shower/bathtub. The bathtub bottom is higher than the surrounding floor, so you have a long step downward when you get out. Even my daughter noticed this.

Third was the breakfast. We had purchased a bed-and-breakfast package. As our daughter is 9, she stayed in the room for free, BUT she wasn't included in the "free breakfast" deal. (And only children under 5 eat free.) So....if you have a child over 5, you'll end up paying for their breakfast. Our daughter's meal cost about $6. It was a good breakfast, but $6 for a child's breakfast is a bit steep. If you have to buy an adult breakfast, it's $8.99, which for our area is also a bit steep.

A word to the wise: as with any hotel, remember the little "extras" that really add up: our $127/night room ended up costing about $160 with the extra breakfast, tips, and taxes. Funny how the travel sites advertise the prices to be so much lower!

We're not unhappy we stayed at this hotel, and we enjoyed the indoor pool (that's why we chose this property over some others) but when we don't want to swim we can stay at another hotel for much less AND get a free breakfast.

If you don't have children and enjoy a firm mattress, then this really might be an excellent choice for you. It's certainly a nice hotel and the staff is very courteous.

Room Tip: Our suite was located almost across the hall from the pool, which was very convenient since we have...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Caprina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Lindale, Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Was looking for a place to stay on a friday night.....good location, very clean and has a place to eat in hotel. Booked online for $99 but bet if using priceline you could get for $65. I would stay here again

• Stayed September 2011
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Had a last minute business trip pop up which lead me to Shreveport and the HGI. The exterior needs some attention - landscaping is dying, privacy fence is broken and multiple lights are out in the parking lot. However once you get into the hotel the property is nice. Front desk staff does a good job of interacting and responded quickly to my request. Lobby was nicely decorated and clean. I was given a room on the first floor which was very nice, a suite. Parlor and sleeping area both had HDTV's, sweet. Plenty of channels and nothing missing from the room - had iron and ironing board, hair dryer, coffee pot, mini-refrigerator, microwave, WIFI, sofa sleeper, desk area to work....made for a productive weekend. When I'm in the area again I will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I have written several reviews from the various places we have stayed on Trip Advisor and all have been very complimentary, except for this place. This hotel has given us the worst experience ever. Terrible is not strong enough of a word to describe this place. Do not stay here. My wife and I are loyal Hilton guests and this experience has scared us away. The fact that our credit card was triple charged is the least of the issues here. Please note: it is Thursday August 18th, and we have not been refunded for the 2 additional room charges yet. Full Story below exerpted from the email we wrote to Hilton on Monday August 15th.

On Saturday August 6th, my husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Shreveport, Louisiana. We are afraid to stay at this hotel ever again based on what transpired during our stay and after our check out. We have explained the issues experienced in detail to both the Hilton Corporate Customer Relations group and the Shreveport Hilton Garden Inn General Manager, Karen Tucker, but the issue remains unresolved as of Monday, August 15th (it remains unresolved as of writing this Thurs Aug 18th). My hope is to clarify the problems, so that everyone may understand the situation more clearly and hopefully resolve the issue.

We booked our stay online via Hilton.com, and took advantage of the Advance Payment option to get the best rate. We paid in full, and our credit card was charged on 6/7/11. Upon check out the next day (Sunday August 7th), we were informed that there was no record of our pre-payment, and our credit card would be charged for the amount of our stay (which meant we would be paying for the room a second time).

Knowing this was an error that needed to be resolved, we began to explain that we had a pre-paid room to the Front Desk Associate. In an effort to validate that we had indeed pre-paid for the room, I pulled up our credit card statement on my mobile phone to verify that our card had been charged back in June when we booked the room. We had indeed pre-paid. My husband pulled up the actual receipt of payment on his mobile phone and showed it to the clerk. The clerk proceeded to tell us there was nothing she could do to resolve the issue, and if she checked us out on her computer, our credit card would be charged again. At this point it became incumbent upon us to try and come up with a solution since the clerk had no idea what to do. Looking at the receipt, my husband noticed a Hilton customer service phone number at the bottom. He called this number and had the customer service representative confirm that our hotel stay was pre-paid and we should not be charged for the room. My husband then handed his mobile phone over to the clerk to have the Hilton customer service representative verify that the room was prepaid. After receiving this verification, the desk clerk just repeatedly kept saying that there was nothing she could do, and she offered no solution for us. At no point did she call a Manager, nor did she call Hilton customer service to see what could be done. After a few more minutes of discussion, the desk clerk then said that she would process the check out, charging our credit card a second time, and then perform a refund on our credit card. Seeing that we had no other options, we capitulated to her wishes, and allowed her to charge our credit card and immediately issue a refund. This charge was made on 8/7/11.

This had been a difficult enough situation dealing with the additional charge and refund; however, this is just the beginning. We were unaware while driving home that the incident of our difficult checkout had been relayed to the desk clerk who had checked us in the day before. This other desk clerk who checked us in decided to call my work telephone line and leave a message telling me I was wrong, calling me a liar for saying she had acknowledged we had a pre-paid rate at check in, and basically threatening me.
Based on the threatening phone call and the incident at checkout, we called Hilton Customer Service to report the incident. We explained the situation to customer service and were told that we would be contacted within 3 days by the Shreveport Hilton Garden Inn with a resolution. Not wanting to be called by the hotel again, we were told we would be contacted via email by the hotel manager, rather than phone, since in the words of the customer service representative, "that line had already been crossed." After 4 days, the hotel general manager called me (which she had been instructed not to do) and left a message. She then reported back to Hilton customer service that the issue had been resolved, without even speaking with me. I finally spoke live with her the following day when I returned her phone call. During this phone call, I was fed excuses about the entire staff being new and not fully trained. In my opinion, if the staff is new and untrained, someone needs to be on site at all times that knows what they are doing. This is not an acceptable reason for what happened to us. She also informed me that the desk clerk that had called and threatened me had cancelled the credit card refund we had been given and charged us a 3rd time for the room (a second charge on 8/7/11), committing fraud and theft.

As of today we have been charged 3 times for the same room, once on 6/7/11 and twice more on 8/7/11. Hilton has taken payment from us without a signature or authorization for 2 of these 3 times. We expect Hilton to resolve this fraud immediately and refund us the 2 additional room charges. (we still have not had the additional charges removed from our credit card as of Thur Aug 18th).

The very fact that Hilton has charged us 3 times for the same room goes to the heart of the problem, but does not begin to scratch the surface on the deeper problems that need to be resolved at this location. The decisions made by the Shreveport Hilton Garden Inn employees have brought us to where we are today. The lack of training is evident at all levels at this location, and it strikes fear into us to stay at a property like this again. We have been triple charged out of spite and bullied into paying more. It is this vindictive behavior, including the completely inappropriate phone call, that worries us the most. We are now forced to take our time (many hours at this point) and energy and focus on getting this resolved. Most importantly, we are concerned about our personal and financial safety. This vindictive front desk clerk has access to our personal information, including address and credit card. We want you to understand why this hotel's actions have made us afraid.

At this point, we are still unresolved, and we are still waiting for correction to our credit card. I am sure that I am not alone and others have had similarly poor experiences here.

My expectations of a hotel are not high. I just want a safe, comfortable place to stay. I am not expecting a high end hotel experience when staying at a Hilton Garden Inn, but I do expect it to be up to the same quality as other Garden Inns around the country. There are lots of little issues here that need to be addressed by management that have clearly been neglected. The hotel is relatively new construction, but it is already showing some wear and tear. Also, the hotel does not seem to care about smokers in the non-smoking rooms. Someone was smoking on our floor, and, in spite of the non-smoking room, and the smell was evident in the hallways. The rooms did not seem to be cleaned very thoroughly either. We had a chair with an ottoman and when we moved the ottoman there were pieces of popcorn underneath the chair from a previous guest. We had left the room on Sunday morning to attend a triathlon and returned around 11am to shower, pack up to leave, and noticed that housekeeping had already come in the room and taken our bathmat and towels that we had planned on using to shower with. Housekeeping did not clean the room, but took the towels and left while we were out.

DO NOT STAY HERE. We go to Shreveport every year and we will not come back to this location.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank GlennF76
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stay here when I have business in Shreveport. I enjoy it better than staying at the Downtown Hilton and I like to stay away from the Casinos. Nice clean hotel that is close to the airport. Very typical new Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank mdr9
VA
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I don't believe I had stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn previously, but this was a very good mid-range hotel. The bed was superb -- which is about 90% of the hotel experience. I got great sleep -- I rate this hotel Five Pillows on sleep comfort.

This is a midrange hotel off the Interstate. It is close to the Shreveport airport. No noise issues. Great front desk staff. A pleasure to check in. Hotel must be relatively new. My furniture looked in very good shape. Also, this hotel sets up a little bar downstairs in the evenings, so that is a nice touch. Lots of comforts of home, with a mini-fridge in the room and microwave. I'd definitely stay here again.

My only criticism: I wish they air conditioned the hallways. We were in the midst of the 100+ degree F. heat wave. Rooms were nice and cool. But they were not air conditioning the hallways or elevators (or had the thermostat set at 90+). Cool the hallways too.

It was a bit pricey -- maybe $139 -- there are definitely less expensive motor hotels in Shreveport -- but this one is quite good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We stayed here on the 19 of June. It was a very nice hotel, modern and clean, with a nice upscale atmosphere.

The room was excellent, clean and well furnished, with very nice amenities to include a microwave, mini-fridge, internet, and and adjustable comfort mattress on the bed! Simply wonderful.

The staff was very friendly and courteous. A special thanks to Ms. Sherry and the young man at the front desk (whose name I am sorry to say I did not get) for their warm welcome and oustanding service!

I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple