“A Highlight of Our Trip!”
Review of Marilynn's Place

Marilynn's Place
Ranked #2 of 567 Restaurants in Shreveport
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We are from NC and wanted to experience some local LA cuisine. We randomly chose Marilyn's and are so glad we ended up here! Marilyn's staff took the time to explain what the different dishes were, even giving us a small sample to taste, then helped us pick out our lunch based on what we liked. After ordering, we asked for recommendations for a buffet where we could actually sample more of the local food. To our delight and surprise, they made us our own small buffet of jambalaya, etoufee, seafood, creole, beans n rice, andouille, gumbo, and remoulade sauce, just so that we could have a taste of it all. We had so much fun with this! Elise, you are awesome, thank you so much for doing this for us!
The location is an old gas station, which just added to the atmosphere.

I highly recommend this for local cuisine, a friendly atmosphere, and a fun experience!

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Easy to find with google maps but outside is kind of plain. Seems it was a former gas station, which is fine, but the outside doesn’t draw you in. But you’re not here for charm, you stop for the food. I ordered the fried catfish and it was absolutely the best I have had and I eat a lot of fried fish. Husband got the seafood combo and the 2 large bowls of seafood gumbo and crawfish etouffe was delicious. Beignets were available for dessert but we had no room for these pillows of sugar. The next time we come to Shreveport, we’ll be back.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Don’t let the looks full you. This place is special. Large portions, great price and we even got to hear some live music.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Marilynn’s Place is a great hole-in-the-wall restaurant! Since Copeland’s in Shreveport descended into mediocrity, I have been searching for good Cajun cuisine there. Don’s and Abe’s disappeared decades ago and for a while it seemed Copeland’s in Shreveport would be the heir apparent. But, that illusion ended a couple of years ago with menu revisions that just didn’t pass muster! Enter Marilynn’s Place seven years ago. Apparently, many in Shreveport agree. I visited on a Tuesday night around 6:45 pm and the place was hopping!
I found authentic Cajun food and even the coup de grâce—Bananas Foster! More specifically, the gumbo was meaty delicious with just the right spice to match my Abita Amber. Just a touch more okra would be perfection! The dirty rice was a tasty complement to the gumbo. Both dishes for $13 as the combo special! I topped that off with my favorite dessert—Bananas Foster. My only critical comment for this culinary delight is that the sauce was slightly underdone with sugar crystals still distractingly evident. The flavor was not Brennan’s caliber, but it was savory and worth the trip just for the dessert!
Let’s talk ambiance for a moment. Marilynn’s Place is advertised as casual dining. So don’t get your shorts in a knot about it being located in a converted gas station and having to order your meal from the friendly cashier/maître d. Want romantic, go elsewhere. But, want good Cajun food the family will enjoy for twice what you would pay at McDonald’s, then this is the place. I recommend it and will definitely return.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We ordered the catfish platter, red beans and rice, shrimp creole, and Mac n cheese! The only thing we didn’t really like were the French fries. Everything else was excellent. Service was friendly and fast, we ordered as take out so can’t say much about the restaurant itself. But we would definitely eat here again!

Been to Marilynn's Place? Share your experiences!