“The jewel of Shreveport”

R. W. Norton Art Gallery
Ranked #1 of 60 things to do in Shreveport
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum chronicles more than four centuries of American and European art featuring the works of Frederic Remington and Charles M. Russell. The springtime sees more than 10,000 azaleas bloom in the museum's garden.
Norman, Oklahoma
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“The jewel of Shreveport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped here at 4:00 pm on our way east on I-20 since it was rated so well on trip advisor.
There were guards everywhere! We were told it closed at 5:00, so we tried to hurry through and see a lot. We would have made it, but they started closing at 4:45 and were ushered out.
What we did see was wonderful! The rare books room had an elephant page original Audubon book, which the attendant said was the most important book in the collection.
We enjoyed many Russell and Remington pieces, a Mary Cassat, and of course, much more.
There were staff members everywhere watching people and I guess, making sure no one took pictures.
After exiting the building, we went out back where we were the only people touring the gorgeous gardens. Those were the biggest azaleas I have ever seen, although not in bloom.
Really, our only disappointment was that no photos can be taken anywhere on property.
So, stop in if you are ever in Shreveport. Two hours would be a good amount of time to spend at this lovely.free museum.

Melbourne, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

As an out-of-state visitor, I was amazed by this place! I could have easily spent 2 days admiring the amazing art and artifacts, and another wandering through the immaculate gardens.
I would've liked to make reference to pieces I enjoyed, and should have taken notes (photos are not allowed).
The gardens are absolutely beautiful, and pet-friendly!
We visited the day after the beekeepers, so there was lots of action near the hives. But, the busy bees were fun to watch from inside, near the life-sized fairytale exhibit.
What an awesome local treasure this is! AND, It's FREE!
Overall, an impressive collection of art by any measure. Can't wait to visit again!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank amy w
texas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“The gardens alone are worth the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I am giving the R W Norton Art Gallery and Gardens 5 stars, and I didn't even get into the gallery. I arrived on a Monday morning, and the gallery is closed on Mondays. Peeking thru the front door, what I could see looked very interesting. I walked around to the back of the building and found one of the best gardens I have ever seen. Acres of azaleas, although not in bloom at the time, were very impressive. Almost as many hydragias were in full bloom and were georgeous. Most of the garden is cool and shaded by huge trees. There are paved walkways wandering throughout the garden showcasing a huge assortment of plants, shrub and trees. There is a stream running thru the garden, and a couple of fern drapped ponds. This is one of the best maintained and accessable gardens I have ever seen. If you are a gardener or plant enthusiast, or just looking for a beautiful place to relax or go for a walk, you will want to see this.

Visited May 2014
3 Thank beachbaken
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“History at your doorstep”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Very few smaller cities have a private museum with the quality and amount of art at this museum. It is worth the visit - several times.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Reese B
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A Local Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Norton Art Gallery is a wonderful museum with a diverse inventory. Paintings, sculpture, and other items such as guns and dolls populate the archetypically mid-century museum. Equally impressive are the scenic grounds, consisting of a large amount of azaleas that put on a beautiful springtime display. Sadly, security has had to be a bit more overbearing and obvious in the last year or so after a local "photographer" abused the facilities during a shoot. This led the gallery to impose restrictions on activity on the grounds and to build a new fence. But otherwise, the gallery has continued to enhance its collections and offer an immense amount of art and culture free of charge to the public.

Visited May 2014