“Steaks and wedge salad”

Ranked #59 of 587 Restaurants in Shreveport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2015

One of the best kept secrets for a top steak places in Shreveport.
The wedge salad and hand cut steaks are the best. The atmosphere is not a 5 star but has its own character.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank I8005MBdavidt

Reviewed 14 March 2015 via mobile

Good spot for a good steak. Dark and small bar with its own unique flavor! A must try for good steak and great hospitality!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is the second year on my yearly business trips to Caddo Parish to visit the Cub. It was a favorite of an old dear friend and I find it to be a fun easy-going place.
Have never eaten here but my friend recommends it.
So head for the Cub for a drink and some fun.

Date of visit: March 2014
1  Thank Raymond L
Reviewed 6 May 2013

It's expensive. Know this going in. Expect to spend at least $30/head. You wouldn't think so because it's attached to a dive bar. I got a steak with lump crab meat. It was decent, but not worth the $32 I spent. Just spend the extra $20-30, and go to Superior Steak House.

Date of visit: April 2013
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I had heard some really good things about The Cub...one of the top steaks in Shreveport....located in a small dive bar....

I went with a customer who had been there before. When you get there, you may not think you're in the right place. The building is small and old, with a biker bar outside feel. You enter through a small porch which was occupied by scattered mid-aged (like myself) folks drinking long necks and mixed drinks, not exactly the wait area for a place with great steaks. Then, you walk into the bar and it is a barfly atmosphere. Most of the patrons are known by name by the bar staff, making It a small challenge to grab a drink, but they will get to you! The restaurant opened at 6pm the night I visited(a Wednesday), so we relaxed outside on a nice night with a couple Shiner Bocks, it worked.

When the restaurant opened at 6, we were the first in and had our choice of seating (4 booths, 4 tables) big party groups are impossible here, max party of 6 I would think. The noise level comparison between the outside bar and the restaurant is significant, it's quiet in there and you'll have to adjust your level.

The Food- this is one of those limited menu places, they know what they do well and that's all they do. You are here to get a filet or ribeye, your choices are add shrimp, or soft shell crab, or lobster. We both had Wedge salads, which were fresh, crisp and what I expected. I had a Ribeye + 3 shrimp, Medium Rare as I like it, and he ordered a ribeye Pittsburgh medium (apparently that's a little pink remaining, charred outside) + soft shell crab. Both came out just right. There is no steak sauce offered, this is pure unadulterated quality beef without the complications. Great portion size, I was pretty hungry and I didn't finish it all. We both had the potatoes au gratin, which were really good, but I'm from New Orleans and I've had better.

Wine list was pretty good, I ended up with a respectable Shiraz.

Cost- here's the down side. For two of us, with 2 beers and 1 glass of wine was $110US before tip. That's pretty steep unless its a spectacular experience and I didn't quite get that on this night.

Staff- friendly, knowledgable and attentive, good job

Food- really very good, I would come again

Atmosphere- I actually liked it, I liked the dive bar then the quiet restaurant

Overall- I will go back to the Cub