“Better than camping”

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Shreveport
Panama City, Florida
“Better than camping”
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

This hotel was a good price, but there is a reason for that. I felt like I was in the outdoors listening to the crickets chirping. There were dead and live crickets in the room. We saw dead crickets in the lobby and the breakfast area. The breakfast was nice, but the attendant wasn't very friendly. Enough tables and the room was big, but the floor was VERY slick. No hot water in the caraffe, but there is a microwave to heat the cold water up. I would not be surprised if someone falls on a regular basis on that slippery floor. Coffee pot in the room was nice. Our do-not-disturb sign disappeared from the door, not sure why or where it went, but cleaning staff did come around knocking on the door the next morning. Beds were comfortable, but small. One of the drawers had a used paper towel in it. Towels were nice and they had enough of them in the bathroom. The bathroom in our room was in need of maintenance. The tub faucet handle falls off. There were no soap dishes anywhere. The water did not drain, so we were standing in dirty water half way through our shower and the bathroom door was very squeaky. The toilet flush was strong, but very loud. The carpet was stained and the art work in the room was lacking, but otherwise, the stay was great. Free Internet, which was touch-and-go. I would stay again, as long as they fixed the shower. It is tricky to find the place. You have to go to the back of the Regent (?) Hotel, which is right off of the highway. That hotel did not appear to be that nice, but I hear their Mexican restaurant is good. We didn't use the pool, but it looked fine and folks were using it. The furnishings were adequate and there were a fridge and micro in the room, which were useful. The workout room was small, but there was one...which we didn't use. Ice machines on every other floor. Elevator was pretty, but smelled like oil. I liked the late check-out time. It was definitely better than camping with lots more bugs in the sweltering heat, that is for sure!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New Iberia, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Booked online on the Choice Hotels mobile app. Relied on our past experience with Comfort Suites...SHOULDN'T HAVE! Incoming and outgoing staff were very nice (computer was down at check-in but the courtesy was very good)... However!!! The accomodations were not up to Choice Hotels' standards, at least the Comfort Suite we experienced. Elevator: Dirty, and smelled of oil. Room: safety-latch broken off-- no way to lock door, room air had too-perfumey, sickening, "air freshener" smell, which is done as a coverup for shoddy house-keeping but terrible for allergies and terrible for hotel-business PR aka "word-of-mouth". We had a non-smoking room, but found a burnt match left on the floor of the bathroom. Bathroom: dirty floor, and tub not clean. Bedroom: Carpet stained, walls stained, armchair stained. Just not a confidence builder. We went out to eat and almost asked for another room when we returned but were too tired for the hassle and stress of it all-- decided just to buck up and bear it for one night. Couldn't find a clean place to put our clothes except back in our suitcase. Won't ever stay there again, at any price. Must remember to check reviews before booking! Plus, I will call the hotel first and ask when was the last remodeling done to the rooms! Paid about $50... guess I got what I paid for. Never again! Choice Hotels should consider dropping this inn from their group.

Room Tip: Ask what year was the last remodel done to the entire hotel. The independent owners of this particu...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Shreveport hotels

Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stay at many Choice Hotels family properties, including many Quality Inns. This hotel ranks right up there in terms of facilities and service, all of which were quite good.

I booked my room online at the last minute - close to midnight on the night of arrival (I arrived at 3am) - and I was greeted on arrival by a very pleasant and efficient front desk person. She got me checked in and to my room very quickly.

The hotel itself was in excellent shape - clean lobby, nicely furnished, and my room was clean, nicely furnished, and everything was in good condition. The beds and pillows were very comfortable, and I got a good night's sleep.

Check-out was likewise handled by yet another friendly and efficient person. All in all, I was very pleased with this stay and would stay here again.

Parking was convenient and fenced in.

A few things to note:

The hotel is tucked away behind another hotel called the Regency, and it's a bit tricky to get there. Exit I-20 at Exit #13 - Monkhouse - heading south. Take the first turn into the driveway for the Regency, turn right (heading north) past the front of that hotel, then left (heading west) around the side of the Regency and keep going. You'll see the Quality Inn straight ahead. There's a big sign along I-20 as well, but the trick is to cut thru the Regency to get to the hotel.

If you book at the Choice Hotels website, AAA and senior discounts are available. With enough lead time, there are usually discounts for booking well in advance. Choice Hotels often runs some very lucrative promotions for members of their Choice Privileges loyalty program, which can make it very easy to earn free hotel stays, gift cards, and the like. Details of available promotions are available when you book through this website.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank step12dude
ThePauper
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel in late May 2012 and early June 2012. About 10 days total. Their desk staff were extremely polite and professional. I liked that. The room, I was on the 2nd floor, was clean. Had a microwave and frig, (the ones that stand about 3ft tall), and wifi. The wifi instructions weren't good, and I had to select a different wifi hotspot in the wifi menu to connect. I selected Quality Inn Lobby, the others didn't work. The wifi connection however was stable. During my visit, their "business center", the two computers they have, one didn't work, and the other one that did work, was not the one connected to the printer. I use printers to printout maps, boarding passes, etc. , and had to use one in a local library. I view that as a drawback, but not earth shaking. For the price of the hotel this was still a great deal, my base rate was $45 or $48 I forget, but jumped to $78 I think on weekends. One reviewer mentioned smoke smell in his room, I never had that problem. I loved my room. You can open the windows if you want, it was a beautiful room. People who are used to saying at the Four Seasons may find fault with it, but not me. I was near the front of the hotel and also did not hear much traffic from hiway 20. Breakfast, I liked, they had scrambled eggs, and sausages, plus other stuff. I usually had eggs and couple a sausages, and coffee, maybe toast. Space in the breakfast room is limited, but you can eat in your room, no real problem. The breakfast area is very clean. This is one of a very few hotels I stayed at that offered eggs and sausages, and that tasted okay. They also had yogurt. I was impressed by that alone.
I used their exercise room on the 4th floor. They have a treadmill, pull down, and leg lift gym, and something else I forget. They have a TV and very needed fan and clean towels. Additionally, there are washing machinges and dryer on the 3d floor. However, one of the washing machines during my visit wasn't working. I took my clothes to a local laundromat.

The hotel is 3 blocks from the Shreveport Regional Airport, and next to hiway 20.
On weekends, the hotel is booked up due to casinos. Suggest book early.

Room Tip: May want room in front of hotel if noise from freeway is heard from hiway.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Bonham
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We wanted a cheaper motel than the spendy casion hotels. I think we got what we paid for. The staff was very kind and accomodating. The pool looked clean and was getting plenty of use. The gym is on the 3rd floor, lots of equipment stuffed into a small area, but they seemed to offer a lot of choices. Ice is only on the 3rd and 1st floors, this is a major downer for me. I love ice! The a/c was good, and it was hot outside. Close by interstate 20, and 2short exits away from Cracker Barrel, Walmart, fastfood, you name it. No real "snack shop". We needed meds and they just had this little coin machine that took 4 quarters that had to be lined up perfectly to work, there was a challenge. Elevator was quite dirty and did not smell fresh. The hall floors on 2 were sticky. Maid forgot to wash the coffee pot. Coffee was very weak. Toilet seat wasnt tightened and was tricky to maneuver. Walls were a little thin. Breakfast was adequate but not enough tables during a weekday. The cook was very sweet and asked to have themeeting room opened for us. Several computers available in the business center. Oh, microwave and fridge in the room, which i always appreciate, full sized iron/board. Shower head and countertop were tall, another plus for my family. Bed was a little hard. Room was clean.
We probably won't cut corners on the motel next time and will spend more for nicer accommodations, but we didnt see much offered with good reviews. :(

Room Tip: Id choose 3rd floor for more ammenities.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We were happy we were able to land a room on a weekend that every other possible hotel was either booked or over sold. Our expectations were not too high, but definitely expected a little better than what we received. When we first got there you could tell it was a smoking room, but we made a quick pass and decided we could make it work since we were there for only one night and just needed a place to land out head when we finished gambling.

Well, we landed our head in an ashtray! Let me preface this with the fact I am a light-medium smoker. However, the stench was so bad and overwhelming we couldn't sleep. I got up shortly after lying down and showered thinking the smell was me from being in the casinos. That didn't help. The smell was in the sheets, the bed, the pillows.....everything. It was the most disgusting thing ever. I have stayed in hotels where left over cigarette stench permeated the air, but never the bedding, nor to the extreme. So, I visualized who all slept on that bed before me considering there is no possible way the sheets, etc. had been washed prior to our arrival.

I have honestly never stayed anywhere and had this problem to this extreme.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shoppingmcqueen
Montello, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 January 2012

This was a nice hotel. Spent 2 nights here while in town. The beds are very comfortable and everything was clean. The only hotel is located close to the interstate which make it easy to find but you can hear the traffic. I would stay again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends