“Not As Advertised”

Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tours
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Slidell
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Picture the moss hanging on gnarled cypress trees as you travel into one of the wildest and most pristine river swamps in America. With the swamp tales of pirates and sightings of Big Foot in the back of your mind, you may be just a little bit nervous at first, but after your first boat ride you'll want to go back again and again! You'll be overcome by the primitive beauty of the cypress trees rising from the water...the sweet smell of wild azaleas in the air....
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Not As Advertised”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Very interesting I was on the same boat as the previous reviewer who had issues with the wild pigs. I too was also told we would see gators and they have been all week. To our disappointment we did not see one. We did see some snakes, lots of birds and lots of hosue's on the water right out of Deliverance. Now to the pigs which were strange. At first it was funny seeing the big pigs and the babies but to the previous posters point it went way too far. They got way too aggressive and were about a foot away from jumping on the boat they were scary to many especially this person and her children. Only one side of the boat faced them so most were unaware how close they were drooling and shaking dirt water over everyone. Again, this would have been ok for a few minutes but it dragged on and on as they got more aggressive.If you are looking for gators and whatever else is out in the swamp highly investigate the other tour companies, read review but stay away from this one.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Goose54
drwhoneyislandswamp, Owner at Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tours, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
We're sorry that you were disappointed with your tour. As mentioned previously, the alligators are on their on schedule and come and go from the swamps as they please.
The issue with the pigs has been handled and will not occur again. We're sorry that this was an issue for you.

marlboro,nj
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Highly disappointed!!!”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I called prior to booking your to inquire if there were alligators out a the weather I still chilly. I also asked if we would get wet at all. I was told yes there are lots of alligator sightings all week and no you will not get wet!
As soon as boat pulled out into the swamp the first thing out guide said was there probably won't be any gator sightings as the weather has been cold, etc.
We did see two birds an a snake..
Anyway the boat pulls over and out come the wild pigs! The guide feeds them and they surround the boat.
Unfortunately so any came over that aside from the pig the guide is feeding two more giant ones are trying to jump in boat in front of both me and my two young Children who are by now hysterical screaming and crying! What does the guide do? Walk over and feed these two as well. The pigs jumped up and down and this caused my clothing and shoes to become soaked! En worse a big splash got into my purse and soaked it as well as my cell and some documents.
At this point I was hysterical and screaming can we please leave. Instead we sat watching feral pigs jumping around.
When I returned to my hotel I had to throw away my shoes as they stunk!y clothing can be washed and my purse is now garbage!
Earlier today I called back the tour company and asked " will we see alligators Thai time if year"? They said yes mam lots!
I than asked again "will I get wet"? He said no mam not at all!
My advice..try another company!
I have alerted my hotel concierge not to recommendable tour company as they were shocked when I came in drenched!!!

Visited April 2014
3 Thank publsiher43
We're sorry that this had occurred on your trip and that you did not enjoy it. I have dealt with the situation and it is no longer an issue. Again, we apologize if you were frightened by the pigs, but they will no longer be an issue.
As far as wildlife, everything changes by the minute out in the swamps. While some tours may see a handful of alligators, another tour right behind it may see none. They are completely wild and are on their own schedule. We regularly do see alligators, however this is a nature tour not an alligator tour.
People on the boats do not usually get wet, however you are out on the water. Our captains do everything in their control to keep their passengers happy and dry throughout their tours, however something's are beyond their control. Generally speaking people do not get wet on the tours; you saying that you were drenched comes as a shock to me.
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Honey Island Swamp Tour”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We went on this tour early in the season so the gators were not moving much at all. This tour was awesome, we seen all types of wild life. There were ferrol pigs which the tour guide fed marshmellows so they came right up to the boat. That was really entertaining to me. The guide pointed all the animals out to us. It was really worth the tour. I was told though when it gets warmer the gators eat the marshmellows from the side of the boat so that would be fun. There is one part of the tour where you go through an area where the snakes are and from what I was told sometimes they fall from the trees and hit the top of the boat which means they could slide off into the boat. That grossed me out but if you travel and like to see what the state is about then it is a must see. Look for a coupon in flyers for this tour.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank rlegal78
drwhoneyislandswamp, Manager at Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tours, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
We're glad you enjoyed your tour. Like you had mentioned before, when it is warmer out a lot more alligators will be out and more active. And while everything is completely wild, sometimes we do have snakes that fall into the boat; we do everything we can to keep the wildlife out though! Come back and see us when its a little warmer, it's a completely different tour!
Cornwall, UK.
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“loved this swamp tour!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

A group of 12 of us on a trek tour came here for a couple of hours whilst making our way to New Orleans and it was amazing!!! We were put on a boat, taken out into the swamp and saw crocodiles jumping right next to us whilst the guide held out a stick with a hot dog and marshmallows on the end of it (apparently they love them!) we were in the boat for about an hour, and the scenery was amazing!!!!! We saw so much wildlife, and there are loads of dragonflys etc flying around, I usually hate insects flying around me but these were so pretty I didn't mind so much! we drove past huts and saw some of the devestation that is still there from hurricane Katrina! loved this swamp tour, really recommend!!

Visited September 2013
drwhoneyislandswamp, Manager at Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tours, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
We're glad that you enjoyed your trip with us. While we do not have any Crocodiles in Louisiana, we do have plenty of Alligators, and like you said they do enjoy a good hot dog or marshmallow as a treat. Our trips are 2 hours, and like you said we see plenty of wildlife; from insects to the occasional deer and wild hogs! Come back and see us again!
Asheville, NC
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“A Great Afternoon In The Swamp”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was a definite highlight of our trip to New Orleans. The swamp tour van was full, so they sent a cab driven by Lucien Miller to transport us to Slidell. He is a native & gave us a very informative tour of things along the way. An added plus to the swamp tour itself.The boats are small making the tour seem more personal. Charlie was our swamp tour guide & I can't say enough good things about him. He's been out in the bayou since he was a kid & was so well versed in the ecology, wildlife, etc. We learned so much. A big highlight, we got to the end of an inlet & Charlie began to whistle; a herd of wild boar came running through the trees right up to the boat. They like marshmallows & hot dogs. It was amazing & a bit scary.

I would highly recommend this tour. They only take cash, so be prepared. You also need to make a reservation.

Visited March 2014
drwhoneyislandswamp, Manager at Dr. Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tours, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
We're glad y'all could make it out and we could finish your trip to New Orleans with a bang! All of captains and drivers are local to the area and have a vast amount of knowledge; both from the book and from experiences. Thanks for taking time to recommend us and hopefully we'll see you again soon!