“Wish I could give 10 stars”

Pearl River Eco Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: At Pearl River Eco Tours we offer the smallest boats in the industry from our famous 6 passenger boats to our 18- 26 passenger boats. This allows us to take you to all the best places bigger boats cannot go! We are a small, family owned and run business. We do only swamp tours because it's what we are passionate about, and we feel we offer more than just another swamp tour, we take people along to show them our world, so come see us and join us for a chance to experience a swamp tour like no other... Into the Honey Island Swamp, one of the least altered river swamps in the country with a Professional Native Ecological Tour Guide. Among majestic cypress trees and winding bayous lies South Louisiana's crowned jewel.. Journey with us as we guide you through this untouched wilderness of pristine beauty and unrivaled charm. At Pearl River Eco Tours, WE WORK IN THE SWAMP, WE LIVE IN THE SWAMP, WE PLAY IN THE SWAMP…WE ARE THE SWAMP!
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I can't say enough good things about Pearl River Ecotours. I booked with them because they seemed to be more environmentally conscious than many of the other tours, but otherwise didn't really know what to expect. Not only is the bayou unbelievably beautiful, they all made us feel like we were friends just spending the day with them.

We did the afternoon tour with the hotel pick-up. Our driver, Ronnie, was so friendly and down-to-earth. We didn't know we could bring beer, so he took us to a gas station for booze and snacks. When we got to the dock/office/whatever they call it, we just hung out for awhile and chatted and played with their dog. By the time the boat was leaving we almost forgot we were going on the tour because we were so enjoying ourselves.

The tour itself was incredible. Our guide, Brian, gave a ton of information and made the tour so interesting without making it feel like some "tour" type attraction. He truly seemed to love his job and the swamp and wanted us to have a fantastic and authentic experience.

We saw a ton of alligators, snakes (how he could spot them, I have no idea!), hybrid pigs (I guess hybrid of pig and boar), turtles.... but the landscape was the most amazing part.

We didn't want the tour to end! But when we got back, we just hung out with them for awhile longer and finished our beers. Ronnie took us back to the hotel and stopped at a bar and hung out for awhile. If they were annoyed with us for overstaying our welcome, they didn't let on at all!

Very, very cool experience and I highly recommend it. Hope to go back soon!

1  Thank Tayl405

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was our third Pearl River swamp tour (we are from the region and take visitors out on the tour). In the past we always chose Honey Island Swamp Tours, which was great. Still, we wanted to change things up and try out a new company in the other part of the river and bayous. Mistake.
First Problem: The company did not honor the price on the website. Instead of the advertised $23 per person, we had to pay $25. When we asked why and showed them the pricing on the website, the comment was, "Oh, yeah. Our website people are pretty slow at changing stuff."
Second Problem: There are way too many companies operating swamp tours out of this tiny area. Most tours left around the same time and led to constant traffic jams in the bayous. Not exactly the intimate experience we were used to from other tours. Even the "secret" alligator hangout had five boats at one time pulling through.
Third Problem: Pearl River Eco Tours seems to have a complex when it comes to the other companies. Even on the phonw when I made the reservation, the person on the other line told me to be careful about the address and not be fooled by competitors when trying to find the launch area. Then, on the tour, every ten minutes the guide started a monologue about how horrible the other companies int he area are (for example, Cajun Encounters), and how their guides can't drive boats correctly, etc... Not very professional.
We always had a great and intimate experience with Honey Island Swamp Tours and will continue to go with them or at least to stay away from this congested area of the swamp in the future. The fact that the company also did not honor the advertised price makes the decision for a poor rating even easier.

2  Thank Laurahope
swamptour, Tour Captain at Pearl River Eco Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

We are genuinely sorry for your experience with us. We recently changed our rates for the first time in 5 years. This same problem occured last time as well when there was a delay by our server in changing the posted fee on our website. You should have been refunded the two dollar difference.
We are the smallest tour company in the Honey Island swamp and we operate only 3 boats, unlike the other two companies that have up to nine boats each, running at any given time. We don't want to exploit the swamp and plan on staying the smallest so that we can give the most intimate,informative and educational tour available.
You went out on a very busy day, and your captain"s own frustration with the Disney ride atmosphere created by so many tourboats obviously showed.We try our best to avoid the other tour boats, as you can see in our other reviews. We apologize and hope that you'll take another tour with us in the future and see that your first experience was an exception to the high quality tour and service that we are known for!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Probably one of the top 5 tours I have taken. Capt. John was EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the history, culture, & geography of the area. We learned about the habits & anatomy of the wildlife, fish & birds. We saw alligators, snakes, migrating birds, jumping mullet, swamp hogs, and much more. We learned so much and in a fun way. Tour is 2 hrs. long. Can take a tour in a smaller boat for more $, but it was nice to have backs on the seats in the larger boat & we saw everything there was to see.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I went on this swamp tour of the Honey Island swamp when I was visiting New Orleans with my friend. This was a great experience! I highly recommend to take the smaller boat if you can. It accomodates up to 6 people but there were only us two signed up for it that day so it was basically a private tour. The smaller boat also allows you to get deeper into the swamps. Our guide Brian was super knowledgable and charming. I had never seen an alligator in my life and even though it was cold that day Brian made sure to bring us to spots where he thought we would get to see some and we did. I was so excited. Brian provided a lot of interesting information about the wetlands, the swamps and the animals living there. Super interesting. I left with a bit of a crush I must say.

This tour is definitely the best way to see the swamp.

Stéphanie (from Canada)

1  Thank Cerraigh
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We were very happy with our tour experience. Everything from the facility, boats and tour guide were first class. I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the river, swamp and bayou environments we were able to see up close.

1  Thank jhoward_12

Been to Pearl River Eco Tours? Share your experiences!