“Great Weekend!”

The Green Dragon Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Cockleford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed here on a Foot Trails walking break, we were made really welcome, the waiting staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us, the rooms were very good and the shower was excellent. definitely recommend for a weekend stay, be prepared to diet after your stay as the food portions are huge. There is also a good selection of beers and the wine prices by the bottle are very reasonable.

Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen N

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Had Sunday lunch here 7th April with my Wife and daughter. Haven't had Sunday lunch here for a few months, but wow !! Great service , great beer and superb food ! There's lots of competition around here, but this place remains the best . Well done to everyone at The Green Dragon.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank joneseyoaksey
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I only stayed in this place for one night fortunately. It is a lovely setting and the staff were helpful and friendly when I arrived. My room was not huge but as I was alone this was not a problem. However, the shower room was so tiny that I had great difficulty drying myself after having a shower. (I am size 10!)So avoid the room 'Arkle' if you are bigger than a size 10.
Lots of lovely pillows and the bed was very comfortable. The hospitality tray was excellent with hot chocolate as well as tea and real coffee. Lovely biscuits too.
I think that £9 for breakfast is extortionate! Why don't hotels charge for what you eat? All I need is a small bowl of cereal and one slice of toast. No tea or coffee. I refuse to pay £9 for that.
The worst thing about the room was that there was no heating in the morning despite the sub zero temperature outside! I couldn't find anyone to complain to or to return the key to before I left.
The walls are very thin. I could hear the person next door snoring all night.

Room Tip: Avoid 'Arkle' if you want to be able to turn around in the shower room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Over the previous 18 months I've had to travel quite regularly to this area on business. I've tried quite a few hotels in the area and, frankly, had started to despair of finding anything that lives up to its promise. Then a colleague (on consultant's fees!) recommended this place. I'm so glad he did. It cost me (or rather, my company) just £74 for a good dinner (salmon fillet) plus wine in front of a roaring log fire, accommodation in a modern and clean residents' building at the back (which means, in the unlikely event that there's a noisy group in the inn - it just doesn't seem to be that kind of place - you won't hear them) and a full English cooked breakfast - also in front of a roaring log fire. And there was a hot power shower! Almost unheard of! Only downside was that my room smelled slightly musty. That could have been the age of the building, or the effects of the prolonged miserable winter weather we've been enduring in the UK. But it didn't spoil my visit. I will definitely be back. In the summer time (when the days are longer), I might even be able to appreciate the beautiful scenic location as I travel back and forth to the office.... Lovely place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank commuter_8
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Green Dragon last weekend 22 - 24th March for our first wedding anniversary. The place was lovely, clean and cosy, our room was lovely and had a fab power shower. The walls are a little thin but that didnt ruin anything. The staff were extremely friendly and made every effort to make our stay perfect. The food was wonderful, both breakfast and the evening dinner. There is a warm and cosy atmosphere there and lovely open fires in both bars. The weekend break of two nights stay, dinner bed and breakfast is excellent value for money. We will be going back and would happily recommend this hotel/inn to others.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kerry C
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to a 2 night stay at the Green Dragon Inn and after what has been a tough 2013 so far, we were really pleased when we arrived to the charming, typical Cotswold setting-from the outside, its gorgeous! My brother-in-law had bought us a one night stay for Christmas (Saturday night) and we had phoned the hotel a couple of days before to book the Friday night too in order to make a long weekend of it. When I phoned, I was told that the original booking (the Christmas present) didn't include breakfast, however, the lady I spoke to said that if I booked the additional night direct (rather than going through late rooms) they would throw in breakfast for the Saturday at no additional charge. This sounded fine- although it later turned out not to be the case!
The customer service (you can't even call it that!) was appalling!! We had specifically selected the Green Dragon Inn after the website promoted free WI-FI as we had some work to do whilst there. However, once we got to our room we had no connection whatsoever, when we called reception and asked the lady (the Manager I think!) she said that the room we were in had no connection. We politely asked if there was any chance of us changing to a room with connection, she replied 'fine' and then hung up. She then came to our room and rushed us into the room next door without saying much else and with a terrible attitude!! I was so annoyed that we went elsewhere for our evening meal rather than staying in the hotel restaurant, we were later glad of this decision as on our way back to the room, we overheard another couple saying the had been unhappy with their meals there. The bedrooms were small but immaculate and modern although the bed was waaaaaay too soft for us and we found this uncomfortable. The bathroom was a nice size and the shower was lovely but the walls were paper thin and we could hear everything (and I mean everything!!!) going on in the room next door- from conversations to the toilet flushing- and everything else!! It was also very noisy in the evening (from the pub outside) and we both struggled to sleep.

On the upside, breakfast was delicious with fresh ingredients that were obviously sourced locally and there was plenty of it to keep us going for most of the day.

When it came to checking out, the owner (we think) had some trouble in charging Friday night's stay to my brother-in-law (even though he had already given them his card details to secure the room) and Saturday night's stay to us. However, he got there in the end. BUT he charged us an additional £18 for breakfast on the Saturday. When I told him about the conversation I'd had with the lady I booked the additional night with, he utterly dismissed me and said we'd have to pay the additional, which, of course we did. All in all, the Green Dragon Inn is a lovely setting in a beautiful part of the world- shame that the staff there are shocking!! Next time we shall be saying in the Colesbourne Inn- an even more stunning hotel/restaurant up the road where we ate- extremely friendly place, excellent service and cheaper to stay there!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KAlicia84
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The Green Dragon is a delightful country inn which serves a good choice of high quality food. I had the lamb chops in a red current jus and they were excellent. The steak enjoyed by my wife was cooked just as she asked and was fabulous. The furniture in the inn is all handmade and each piece features a carved mouse which is a fun aspect. It does get busy so best to book.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David S

Been to The Green Dragon Inn? Share your experiences!