Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles W-Sulphur
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Sulphur
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We were traveling east from Harper Texas to Ocala Florida with longhorn cattle in our trailer, and needed a place to stay for the night. After searching for local hotels I called this one. They were very friendly and offered us a good rate. The hotel is beautiful, but lacked a little in the houskeeping department. When we pulled up, I could not help but notice the trash barrel outside the front door was overflowing on the ground. Not a very good first impression,but we went in anyway. After checking in, I went down to the lobby to get coffee and found the coffee station poorly maintained and the trash can was overfull! I asked the front desk to please get me some creamer for my coffee, which he did immediately. However, when the kitchen help brought out the creamer he completely overlooked the tash spilling on the floor. (not in my job description?) maybe. Overall, we spent a comfortable evening there. We looked at the breakfast menu, but decided it was too pricey for us.
I would recommend this hotel, but would suggest the management look into these small details to help improve their image as a fine hotel that is interested in repeat business. (by the way, the trash out front was still overflowing when we left). Sad

Room Tip: this hotel is a full service facility. They do not offer a complimentary breakfast. We did not know...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Midge S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles W-Sulphur, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the details of your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of detail from our staff. We hope that you will give us another chance to deliver 5 star service to you. The details of your stay have been shared with all of our associates, so that we can learn from our mistakes, and improve where needed. Thanks again!

Reviewed 1 January 2013

We were pleasantly greeted by the hotel agent as soon as we walked in the front entrance. The lobby was nice and clean with a contemporary decor. Our room was pleasant and clean, as well. The view was not that great since our room overlooked a construction site, however, this was something with which we could live and did not negatively affect our stay. Though there was not much going on in the town of West Sulphur, the hotel was only about 10 minutes or so away from Lake Charles, LA where one could enjoy the historical district or museums in the city, partake in a little gambling at the area casinos, or experience the gastronomic delights of neighborhood restaurants, such as Steamboat Bill's.
We had a restful night in comfortable beds and enjoyed a nice breakfast at Kem's, the hotel restaurant. We booked the room through Priceline, which stated that we were supposed to receive complimentary breakfast for up to two adults, however, that was not the case. Though, due to being a Priority Club member, in addition to the water and popcorn I received at check-in, I received complimentary coffee at the restaurant. Granted, we were not pleased with not receiving the complimentary meals referred to on Priceline, however we had a great stay overall and I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the construction.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank IndyO
Reviewed 14 December 2012

In my opinion, this is the most unscrupulous hotel staff I have ever encountered. I cancelled a reservation a week before my arrival, but was charged for the price of the room. I admit that I made the mistake of not insisting on a cancellation number. I was assured by the hotel staff person that “everything would be taken care of.”

The hotel’s idea of care is billing me for a one night charge of $133. I assumed that once I explained this error to management the problem would be solved. That was not the case. The Front Office Manager was rude, dismissive, and abrupt. The General Manager was even worse because he didn’t even take the time to call me back. Maybe that is the way things are run in a small town. In the big city, issues are handled in a timely and courteous manner.

I definitely will not book another reservation at this hotel or any other hotel in the chain.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Alexandria07-10
Reviewed 28 November 2012

The hotel itself was fine - clean an comfortable, and up to Holiday Inn Standards. The staff at the desk was friendly, personable and helpful. The only negative was the inconvenience of having the stairs leading to our second-floor room (my wife is claustrophobic and can not ride an elevator) required an entrance from outside, and someone at the desk had to unlock the door. We managed.
The problem was with dinner. The food was good, but we ordered cocktails, which did not arrive until we were halfway through eating our dinners. And the bartender had mixed the wrong drink (nothing fancy - martinis). He remade them correctly after making a lame excuse that he thought we wanted the "special" (that the waitress had failed to mention). Then when we got the bill, we saw that we had been charged $10 per drink! He explained that he had used the best vodka and put in an extra shot to make the glass look full. We grumbled and paid, but stiffed him and the waitress on the tip - which we never do. The waitress also told us that in order to gain the extra 500 Priority Club points for dining in-house, we should go online and enter the information. This was incorrect. The next morning at breakfast we spoke with the restaurant manager. We asked him how much martinis cost. He said $5. We told him what happened the night before and he apologized, but he did not offer us any compensation. I have done some research and business writing about how to create customer loyalty. The most important single factor is how a business responds to the inevitable screw-ups. The restaurant failed in this instance. Sorry to downgrade the hotel for the performance of the restaurant, but I see the two as parts of the whole.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dstring13
KatySimonFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles W-Sulphur, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologize on behalf of our restaurant. This is a matter that will be taken care of immediately on all levels. I hope that--aside from your restaurant experience--the rest of your stay exceeded your expectations. Also, I apologize for the inconvenience of the stairway situation. Unfortunately, our hotel was designed in this peculiar fashion. I hope you are willing to stay with us again soon, so we may correct these service issues.

Holiday Inn Lake Charles W-Sulphur

Reviewed 1 November 2012

My husband was on the road and had to get an unexpected trip, I called a few hotels
and Samantha was the only agent concerned enough to call me back with the information I had requested. She went over and above any agents responsibilities and being in the same business I really fell I would love to have her with us. This property was beautiful the food was excellent and the ben was wow! Comfort, style and service here!!!!!!!

Thank you Johnique and Samantha Excellent Job!

Mr. & Mrs. Turner

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank cindycares2

We are so glad you could join us! Thank you very much for your praise of Samantha and Jonnique. We are very proud of them! Please come and see us again soon.

Katy Simon
HI Lake Charles W-Sulphur

Reviewed 2 October 2012

As a recent guest at this hotel, I was welcomed at the front door by Mr. Rodrick who assisted me with my luggage. He directed me to the front desk where Tammy and Samantha assisted me with checking in. Rodrick showed me where the restaurant, the pool, and the business center were at. I had no problem finding my way to use these offerings by the hotel because of his kindness and professionalism.

The meatloaf dinner at the restaurant had to have been the best i have tasted in quite a while! Please don't tell my wife I said that...The meal experience was awesome and I would recommend this experience to anyone at this hotel. A restaurant in house is great!

I noticed a little note from the housekeeper, Katherine. She was kind to personalize my experience and then leave a note to let me know if I needed anything to let them know!

I can say that my stay at this hotel was unplanned and we were in town for a funeral. We did not mind paying a little more for the room because we had checked on prices in the area. The atmosphere of professionalism at this hotel is the BEST I have experienced yet! Rodrick was the gold lining that made our stay very nice!

I stay at hotels all the time and none can compare to the services I got here! I recommend this place to anybody and look forward to my return stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Roberta P
KatySimonFOM, Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles W-Sulphur, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

I am so glad to hear that your stay was pleasant and relaxing. We will certainly be letting all of our hotel staff know how much their services have impressed you. At our property, we always strive to exceed our guests' expectations in every regard. I am most grateful to you for your praise. Please let us know when you will be joining us again, so that we may welcome you and prepare another special in our restaurant (perhaps, even the meatloaf again!).
Katy Simon

Reviewed 25 September 2012

It is an updated property with very nicely decorated and modern rooms. The rooms are very spacious. When we checked in, there was a little problem and we called the front desk at around 11 in the night. The person at the front desk said the housekeepers had left already but it will be fixed and within 5 minutes the front desk personnel himself came up to our room and fixed the issue. They met all of our requests with a smile.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Travel_Maverick182
Benjamin R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles W-Sulphur, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your compliment with us! We are very proud of the quality of service we provide here at the Holiday Inn Lake Charles W-Sulphur. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sulphur
Comfort Suites Sulphur
Hampton Inn Sulphur / Lake Charles Area
Best Western Plus Executive Hotel & Suites
Wingate by Wyndham Sulphur
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles South

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Lake Charles W-Sulphur? Share your experiences!