“Hotel was very clean! Will return here next year”

Comfort Suites Sulphur
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Sulphur
Louisiana
“Hotel was very clean! Will return here next year”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Upon entering hotel, you notice the clean smell right away. On the weekend that I visited, there was a LARGE highschool baseball/softball tournament in town. The front desk staff, as well as the housekeeping staff, stayed on top of everything and I didn't encounter any problems. The breakfast buffet is large and abundant in variety, and offered several hot breakfast choices. Once again, with all the teenagers in the hotel, the staff kept the breakfast area well-stocked and clean. When checking out, one could see that the housekeeping staff was hard at work getting the rooms clean and prepared for the next round of visitors. I was very impressed. When I travel this way again, I hope there will be vacancy at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed here during my 30th class reunion, and it was awesome. The king suite had everything that I needed. Was spacious, clean, and the bed, well, best night's sleep that I've had in a long time. Dreaded having to pack my bags to leave. Only problem that I had was getting to the hotel from I-10. There was much construction, so I kept missing the exit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Great staff, nice clean rooms, breakfast was better than I expected!!

• Stayed February 2012
Ruston, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Typical of what I have been getting with Comfort suites. Nice, new hotel, clean comforable rooms, good helpfull staff. Also, good rate of $99.00.

The location is not so great. There are not many restaurants near by. I traveled several exits west and still found few places to eat. No shopping near by either. It is right by the interstate so that is convenient.

Overall a good stay for business or to just stop for the night. Casinos are only a few minutes away in Lake Charles.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I was on a business trip and stayed at this hotel. I would stay again when I am in town next time. Grate place in Sulphur.

• Stayed February 2011
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We had a nice stay at this hotel. I would let my friends & family know about this place.

• Stayed March 2011
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2010

So this is my second review of the same property. I've been staying here quite a bit for business over the last 6 months. It's a very convenient location and I like the decor, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have to start trying out other properties.

Some of the issues - the rooms by the elevator - Room 211 on the 2nd floor and Room 311 on the 3rd floor get a lot of elevator noise, however the hotel staff keeps trying to stick me in these rooms. Avoid Room 211 at all costs! When I stayed in this one last month, the hot and cold water lines to the bathroom sink were reversed. I would turn on the cold water and hot water would come out. I would turn on the hot water and cold water would come out. Very frustrating. I mentioned this at checkout, but I have a hard time imagining that no other guest has ever mentioned this.

I was recently in a different room on the 3rd floor and the bathtub drain is starting to drain very slow. The hotel has only been open for a little over a year. Added to the frustration was the bathroom door that would neither stay open or closed. It always wanted to come to rest somewhere in the middle.

The breakfast is starting to annoy me as well. All they have is high-carb items and their selection of fruit and yogurt is just plain awful. The only fruit that they will provide is apples and oranges from those big bags. The apples are always bruised and the oranges are too messy to eat down there. They had 4 small containers of yogurt this past time, but I haven't seen any of those in a long time. They do have good waffles, but good luck getting one to cook right because half of the time the timer on the waffle iron won't start and you have to watch the cooking of it very closely or use a timer on your phone or watch. The staff knows about it because they will even make comments about it, yet they won't get it fixed.

They could use some improvements in the hotel staff too. They usually have fresh baked cookies in the evening. A couple of stays ago I walked in after dinner and there were no cookies and I made an inquiry about them. The on-duty desk clerk said that she had been busy studying for school and didn't have time to bake any. Hmmmmm. It's just awful when work gets in the way of doing personal business while on the clock!

So is it a management problem or is good help just that hard to find? I think they know of all of the issues the hotel is starting to have, but they're just unwilling to do anything about them or just don't get the concept of customer service in general.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business