“Stayed at hundreds of hotels and never had an experience this bad.”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Sulphur
West Monroe, Louisiana, United States
“Stayed at hundreds of hotels and never had an experience this bad.”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

When we got there the man behind the desk had a terrible attitude when he gave us a room. As soon as I walked in I could smell the urination in the bathroom, it was a terribly overpowering smell. After further investigation I found that the bathroom floor was covered in it. You couldn't even step in the room. I went to tell the man behind the desk and he began to yell at me and tell me that this was impossible and blame me for doing it. I said that I would just like a refund and if they would not clean this up and he refused to give me a refund. He said it would be taken care of tomorrow. So I said I would take care of it, since my wife was pregnant and could not smell the ammonia filling the entire room with the stench. So I got a towel and all purpose cleaner and cleaned up the mess of urination all over the floor in the bathroom. Then after relaxing for 5 minutes, I received a call on the phone and he demanded I bring him One Hundred and Fifty Dollars or he was going to call the cops on me. He kept on threatening to call the cops on me. Other than the fear I was now feeling from the shady way he was acting the cops sounded like a relief to me. I genuinely feared for the safety of my pregnant wife and myself. Then he told me that he had locked all my belongings in my room, and I could not go back in there to get anything. He was going to give me 20 dollars and I was going to leave. Leave my stuff and go. When I told him how I wasn't going to be scared into being stolen from he said that with One Hundred and Fifty dollars I could stay. They were very rude and seemed to under the influence of several mind altering substances. You could smell the Marijuana and Alcohol on his breath. When my wife and I made it back to the room we were to scared to even step outside of the room before the next morning. I have never been treated like that at any business that deals with customer service. He couldn't even understand the English that I spoke and he would not stop yelling at me. I got absolutely no sleep because I stayed up to make sure I could protect my pregnant wife and had to drive 7 hours the next day. I will never go back there and I am sorry that they can even keep a license to run that place. The man was clearly prejudice towards Americans. And the screaming and trying to rob me made me fear for my life. If you have a family or any loved ones, I urge you. Do not take them to this Hotel. I am scared for what may happen to someone who is not as careful as we were. Truly the most horrifying experience of my life.

Room Tip: Do not ever go to this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kristopher E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Scotland
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here overnight after finding it well rated with Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. The room was just superb with lovely clean bed and everything spotless, a lovely big bathroom and coffemaker, fridge, microwave, it felt like a 4 star hotel. Manager and his wife were very helpful and friendly and if I had a complaint it would simply be that the breakfast is a bit unimaginative and sparse, my husband likes toast and there was no bread, just a choice of 2 cereals and some bagels and pastries. However the price was excellent and great value so maybe you cant have everything. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hunda
Kingston
Reviewed 1 November 2011

October 11, 2011. Stayed here on a business trip. Great value ($68.09) and pet ($10 each)friendly which is a must for us. This appears to be relatively new. The staff is friendly and the rooms were very clean and large and the beds some of the most comfortable I have expenience in a hotel. Highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a great place at the right price that is not a 5-star. Oh, one thing not a whole lot of parking room for large rigs but we were able to park next door at a resturant.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank boejean
Moody
Reviewed 29 October 2011

stayed here for weekend trip and wow, very inviting rooms,nice,clean and quiet too.bathrooms are very nice size and had little extras.I liked the nightlight under the hairdryer so you wouldnt have to turn on a real light at night.firm bed.nice flat screened tv.they do take pets which is awesome, but there is a pet fee of $10 per pet per night.The price is great too..the only thing i would like to see is a better sign from the roadway as we past it and didnt realize it. otherwise it was wonderful and the next time we are going that way, we will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Southernroadwarriors
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This hotel was wonderful. It is minutes from Lake Charles and close to Delta Downs. There are many places to eat very close by. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and clean. This was a very good value and we will definitely stay here again next time we visit Lake Charles.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melanie V
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2011

My friends and I took a pleasure trip to Lake Charles but stayed in Sulphur because the hotel was new and it was only like 10 minutes from Lake Charles. The staff was so professional and helpful!! We loved the hotel and you couldn't ask for more helpful staff than we encountered here!! Not only was the hotel AWESOME but the price was right!!! We'll definitely be back!!! LOVED IT!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank hickernut1
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This is a hidden gem in the lists of hotels for the Lake Charles and Sulphur areas. Our room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast bar was clean and had a variety of foods and drinks. We came to Lake Charles for a baseball tournament and would definitely stay at this particular hotel again.

Room Tip: Firm mattress. First floor can be a little noisy .
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank sdale64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sulphur
Hampton Inn Sulphur / Lake Charles Area
Days Inn Sulphur West
Days Inn Sulphur West
#17 of 21 in Sulphur
Candlewood Suites Sulphur-Lake Charles

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!