“What a surprise!”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Sulphur
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We went gambling and needed a room to just lay our heads on before heading back to town and chose this hotel. Most hotels in the area wanted $79.99 a night. What a surprise this hotel was. I was expecting something small, old etc. Wife and I were very surprised for $54.95+ tax on a Saturday night we got a very nice king bed updated room. It had nice color scheme new furniture and a nice 32 inch flat screen. The bathroom was also updated with granite sink tops and shower. The room came with a mini fridge, coffee maker, microwave and a iron w/board. So it was well equipped for most overnight or week stays. We really enjoyed the room and for the price it was a bargain! The hotel isn't very visible from the highway, but its right off of it behind a Taco Bell. The parking lot was nice and spacious and seemed safe. The guy at the counter was very polite and talkative and even remembered my name the next day. Next time we need a overnight hotel after gambling this is the best option for us and hopefully you'll agree.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I needed a place to lay my head for the night, after a long road trip, so I booked the Americas Best Value Inn in Sulphur, Louisiana. It was good for just that...... a place to lay my head, nothing more!!! The rooms were fair...... only one drinking cup for a room that occupied two people, one tiny piece of soap that crumbled in my hands while in use and a air conditioner that hummed all night long but without a good tune. I paid $67.50 per room not including taxes and the total cost of $155.90 for two rooms. Needless to say, I will never return to Americas Best Value Inn again, not to even lay my head!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed 2 nights. No extra frills just a place to sleep. Room was clean but, bed sheets were not changed during stay. The beds are extra hard. If you want hot breakfast go to McDonalds down the street. The staff was nice and friendly. No swimming pool. No restaurant for hotel. No smoking property.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Spent 2 nights and it was great. Arrived late at night but had no problems with the late check in. The rooms were clean and looked new. The price was low and we did not expect to get such nice rooms. Located a few miles from Lake Charles but not far. A little hard to spot from the main street but no major complaints. The staff was friendly and courteous. Will look to stay here again when I go back for more gambling fun.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This hotel is AWESOME! For an America's Best Value Inn, this place is top notch :) Because you see the others americas best balue inn's and they are kinda like...mmmm not so great - run down. But this one is gorgeous inside. However even the hotel is pretty, what makes it great is the Staff! H. and Sam that run the hotel are soooo nice. We are here currently because my husband is working a shutdown. So they have been great and play with my son. Anything we need they get it automatically. This by far is the most friendliest and best hotel I have ever stayed at. I am glad we picked this hotel :) best place in Sulphur. Thanks H. and Sam, and the rest of the staff. You guys need raises for the hard work and sincerity you have :)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank J T
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Our 2 night stay was pleasant. Room is smaller than what we are used to, but it was fine for our short stay. The location is excellent for exploring the creole national trail. There are loads of eateries walking distance. our favourite was the Chinese buffet across the street. Breakfast was basic with toast, cereal, coffee and orange juice. Internet access was excellent. Overall our stay was great and If I'm ever back in Sulphur I definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank prisky
Reviewed 6 January 2012

When we got there the man behind the desk had a terrible attitude when he gave us a room. As soon as I walked in I could smell the urination in the bathroom, it was a terribly overpowering smell. After further investigation I found that the bathroom floor was covered in it. You couldn't even step in the room. I went to tell the man behind the desk and he began to yell at me and tell me that this was impossible and blame me for doing it. I said that I would just like a refund and if they would not clean this up and he refused to give me a refund. He said it would be taken care of tomorrow. So I said I would take care of it, since my wife was pregnant and could not smell the ammonia filling the entire room with the stench. So I got a towel and all purpose cleaner and cleaned up the mess of urination all over the floor in the bathroom. Then after relaxing for 5 minutes, I received a call on the phone and he demanded I bring him One Hundred and Fifty Dollars or he was going to call the cops on me. He kept on threatening to call the cops on me. Other than the fear I was now feeling from the shady way he was acting the cops sounded like a relief to me. I genuinely feared for the safety of my pregnant wife and myself. Then he told me that he had locked all my belongings in my room, and I could not go back in there to get anything. He was going to give me 20 dollars and I was going to leave. Leave my stuff and go. When I told him how I wasn't going to be scared into being stolen from he said that with One Hundred and Fifty dollars I could stay. They were very rude and seemed to under the influence of several mind altering substances. You could smell the Marijuana and Alcohol on his breath. When my wife and I made it back to the room we were to scared to even step outside of the room before the next morning. I have never been treated like that at any business that deals with customer service. He couldn't even understand the English that I spoke and he would not stop yelling at me. I got absolutely no sleep because I stayed up to make sure I could protect my pregnant wife and had to drive 7 hours the next day. I will never go back there and I am sorry that they can even keep a license to run that place. The man was clearly prejudice towards Americans. And the screaming and trying to rob me made me fear for my life. If you have a family or any loved ones, I urge you. Do not take them to this Hotel. I am scared for what may happen to someone who is not as careful as we were. Truly the most horrifying experience of my life.

Room Tip: Do not ever go to this hotel.