“The worst hospitality for hospitality industry”

Wingate by Wyndham Sulphur
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Sulphur
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The room had an odor and my wife and I are sick with coughing and sneezing that started yesterday. The night we arrived there was a dirty wash and towel hanging in the bathroom. The manager was nasty to the guests because of the children playing in the lobby. The 35 or so rooms were rented to a baseball program. What do you expect when you rent to parents and grandparents and 40 or 50 children and there is a storm and you close the pool. The night managers way to handle the situation was to threaten everyone with removal from the hotel with NO REFUND and we will remove you. I noticed the room wasn't clean and asked the maid about cleaning and she informed me that the same manager told the help not clean the rooms for the baseball teams. They were to empty trash cans , make the bed and replace towels. Every night most of the rooms had to get towels at the desk. So for 3 days the floors were not vacuumed, bathroom floors toilet and tub were not cleaned. I could go on and on. My only suggestion is stay as far away from this hotel as possible, for your own health.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank James S
Tammy B, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham Sulphur, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for your recent stay as well as feedback. I do apologize that housekeeping and the front desk dropped the ball. I am getting with housekeeping as this is unacceptable, and whom ever was assigned to your room that day will be reprimanded. As for the front desk clerk her behavior was unacceptable also, and she has been reprimanded.

We value your business and hope that you will give us another opportunity to earn back your trust.

Tammy Berry

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The manager blindsided my husband with threats of throwing us out of the hotel because others in our "group" were reportedly being disruptive. WE were certainly not being disruptive, so it was completely offensive to us that she approached him in that manner. He didn't even know what she was talking about. Her condescending attitude and blatant hostility towards our entire organization made our stay so uncomfortable that the dead outlets, stopped up toilets, slow-draining tub, lack of access to fresh towels, severely understaffed housekeeping crew, and broken washer and dryer PALED in comparison. Furthermore, there are significant discrepancies in rates being charged, policies being quoted, etc. -- the word "unscrupulous" definitely comes to mind with regards to this hotel's business practices. Take my advice and drive the 10 minutes to Lake Charles to stay somewhere else!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank K R
Jay K, General Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Sulphur, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2015

Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. We are sorry that you did not find your experience satisfactory. We are always working to improve our property as well as operations. If you would like to discuss your issue with me personally, you can contact me at sulphurwingategm@gmail.com or call me on my office line at (337)527-5151.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The hotel was understaffed, poorly managed, and unfriendly on certain shifts. We did not have enough towels and when we asked for some they gave us bath mats for towels. The room was not cleaned in a timely manner and we did not have extra sheets for the sofa bed. The evening manager had the worst attitude towards everyone.

Room Tip: Should you elect to stay here, stay in the suite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Gaspassah

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The whole hotel had a funny smell. Seemed a little under staffed at the front counter upon check in. But the room was nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kenneth W

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Great location, close to casinos. Central location. Rooms comfortable. The only negative was the odor in the elevator. The odor was not presenting the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family