“Step back in time”

and up
Whitney Plantation, Museum of Slavery and St Joseph Plantation Tour
Ranked #3 of 3 things to do in Vacherie
More attraction details
Owner description: Owned by the same family since 1877. Still a working sugar plantation. Most guides are family members. Original outbuildings including manor home, slave cabins. Also, detached kitchen, blacksmith and carpenter's shop. Open Monday through Saturday.
Oakfield, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Step back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

As a History major I am drawn to trips that tell me a story of years gone by. And to say this trip did not disappoint is almost an understatement. It is still run by the family so you get a sense of their pride and humbleness all at the same time. Our guide had a beautiful accent (and I am from the south) but hers was more Cajun and it actually made the story of St. Joseph Plantation more relateable. Loved the details, the history, and the overall ambiance. Delightful!!!

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Barbara M

St. Charles, MO
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“So down to earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

just toured this plantation today and enjoyed it more than the more elaborate ones. You get a better feel for how life really was back when it began. Our guide was very informative and was able to answer any questions we through her way. So glad we were able to sneak in and catch the last tour of the day.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank skoc50
Mustang, Oklahoma
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great trip. Worth a stop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

The tour is much more personal. Learn alot about the history and the other plantation around it. The family still owns the home that lives in the back and works on the grounds. It was a much better tour than the others.

Bristol
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not nice experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We visited a few plantations in New Orleans, and this by far felt the most uncomfortable out of all of them!!! Although family were nice on the exteria it became apparent that the family have owened this plantation and others for 100 years going back many generations. With this you would expect the new generation to show remorse for the treatment of Slaves and workers post civil war. I am sorry say this didn't feel the case at all! Our guide seemed very emotionless and actually seemed to lament the end of slavery!!!! We are Caucasian British people who despise racism and genuinely felt uncomfortable in the house! Many times the guide quotes " our slave cabins" yet they say they owned after emancipation?!?! Why call them Slave cabins??? They also admitted paying the "workers" with plantation currency that could only be used in plantation shop... This to me appears they didn't really move on from the civil war?! It felt like they were proud to be apart of something so cruel. Since leaving we have reviewed on line that their workers still lived in their "slave cabins" until 1977. This is when my mother was born?!?!? Surely this is not right. And wish I could asked for my money back!!!

Visited June 2014
9 Thank Charlotte M
Detroit, Michigan
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Nice trip to Vacherie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have visited New Orleans several times and this was the first time I visited a plantation. I chose it because they claimed to have original slave houses, amond many other original features. It lived up to the billing. The tour guide was very informative and there were plenty of antiques that are original to the site. It was a short drive outside of New Orleans. You will learn a lot visiting St Joseph Plantation. I spoke with another visitor who agreed that this was good, but she went to another plantation whose tour guide was a young black woman who gave a compelling version from the slave's point of view. I would enjoy that I am sure.

Visited May 2014