“Really poor”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in West Monroe
Edgewood, Texas, United States
“Really poor”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at this place back in January 2013 and we got excellent service and a nice clean newly refurbished room. I would rate them as at least an A.

This week we stayed at the same place. We got there around 6PM and I paid for room 202. I requested one bed, no smoking. Paid them, got my key and then before checking the room, we went to eat. Big mistake.

We got back roughly around 7PM and went to the room and it had a strong odor of chemicals and smoking. On the bed was a match that had been lit, I assume to kill some of the smell. The carpet was stained, the air conditioner made a rattling noise and my wife insisted I go down and tell them this room was not going to work. It was so bad she would not shut the door because the smell was so strong.

So I went down to the office and told the lady at the counter my story and she said sorry, that's all we have and also related that another couple had rejected that room due to the strong smell. I asked her why would she attempt to rent the same stinking room out to another couple and why was I picked as the unlucky recipient of this room. She was unresponsive to this. So I went back to the room to tell my wife and then the phone rang. She hotel clerk told me she thought she might have a cancelation and I could have that room but it would be around an hour before she could be sure.

So an hour passed and then we eventually got the other room, but first the clerk wanted to inspect the room to make sure we had not messed up the stinking room I assume so she could rent it out for the third time that night.

On the way from the stinky room to the fairly nice room we got, there were around ten workers standing on the stairs drinking beer and eating. Beer cans and bottles were scattered around so they had been drinking for a bit and I was glad to get to the room by then. The next morning the garbage can where they were as overflowing with bottles and cans and several beer bottles were strewn about so you should think hard about if you would want to take your children to a place like this because there is absolutely no security.

I related all this to the morning person at the desk and asked for the manager and she said he was out of town till Friday and would give me no way to contact him/her.

I don't know what happened here at this place between January and October but the only explanation I can figure out is new owner or manager.

Room Tip: 202 is the room from hell. Avoid this room at all costs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ricky N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Hillsboro, Texas, United States
Reviewed 25 September 2013

This was a wonderful overnight stay at this facility. They have renovated this property and ALL rooms had pillowtop mattresses. Best night's sleep we've had on this trip. There was a small strip shopping center right across the street with several restaurants within walking distance Logan's Roadhouse, Chili's, Cracker Barrell to name some. We ate at the Logan's Roadhouse and had a wonderful meal.

Our option for motels is always Red Roof Inns because they are dog friendly and as long as we travel with our dog, it will be the first motel we seek out. I had originally booked a room with 2 full beds, but when we arrived the clerk said that they didn't have one of those rooms on the ground floor so I asked what they did have available on the ground floor. She was very accommodating and found us a king room and it actually was less than the booked room.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice and you are far enough away from I20, that noise doesn't affect you...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anita G
Jena, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Red Roof Inn in Monroe lives up to the basic room philosophy. It was decent, clean enough, and comfortable enough for us to stay multiple times. The staff is friendly enough too. There are lots of restaurants nearby that are very nice and reasonably priced options.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
West Virginia
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was my first stay in a Red Roof Inn, and it made a good impression. I was a little nervous about staying in a hotel with exterior corridors, but I felt totally safe during my stay. The hotel is right off of I-20, making it convenient for doing business in the Monroe area. The area itself is a little worn-out looking, but there are some nice, new restaurants nearby. The style of the room is modern and convenient. I especially liked the desk/work space. Most importantly, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

My only objections are that the wifi was a little slow, and the towels were pretty thin. Other than that, it was a good stay at a great price ($50/night).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mountaineer2015
Seabrook, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on a long road trip. The location was fine and lots of dining options within walking distance. We chose it because it was pet friendly and we didn't want to spend lots for a quick sleep. The room itself was old but it looked like they were remodeling the rooms to some extent. The room was semi-clean, mainly worn but it smelled strongly of bleach and carpet-fresh so you wonder what they were trying to mask, odor-wise. They have a grab & go breakfast which consisted of coffee, granola bars and apples, which was OK considering the cost of the room. Overall it was acceptable for a one night stop but next time we would look elsewhere.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank suspaul

Travellers are raving about these West Monroe hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This was a one-night stay and let me tell you, we had to drive around because I didn't want to stay in the room. We had a room facing the main road and it was incredibly loud. The air conditioning unit was loud and inconsistent, even after trying to adjust it, and the shower unit wasn't very clean. The smell was unpleasant and I sprayed Lysol and Febreze just to make it tolerable. (The room had to have previously been a smoking room.) At the top of the steps on a railing, beer bottles were scattered and were still there in the morning when we left. We were road tripping and this was the worst place we stayed in 10 nights. I have NO idea where the 5 star reviews from others came from. We did not complain at the desk because I just wanted to get out of there!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank metalheavylady
Jonathan C, General Manager at Red Roof Inn West Monroe, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey regarding your stay in West Monroe, LA. It is our goal to provide great customer service and clean, comfortable accommodations for our guest. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and for the housekeeping issues you encountered during your stay. I can assure you that I will take the necessary steps to correct the problems. I hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to accommodate your travel needs should you return to the West Monroe area. Again, I apologize we fell short on providing you outstanding accommodations.
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Nice clean hotel. Quiet and nice staff. Location was very convenient to restaurants, stores, gas stations etc. The refrigerator and coffee pot in the room was very much appreciated. Good value for the money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family