“Quite surprised & rather pleasant room at the INN”

Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Westlake
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I had read a few reviews and was some what hesitant about staying at this hotel, but Lake Charles is limited on hotel selections and the other brand new casino was full for the night. The lobby was clean and the staff was very pleasant, the desk clerk was very courteous and knowledgeable and provided me with an even lower rate than I mentioned, since I was Fan club member, having just joined that day. The hotel allows for smoking rooms, so I did smell some smoke in the lobby area because I think the first floor must be smoking rooms, but my room and floor did not have any smoky odors. The bed was comfortable, the pillows were comfortable and the overall room was clean. Although the bed linen on one of the beds had cigarette burns on it, that was not an issue since I only used one bed anyways and it was in a good condition. I think the Inn is quieter than the Tower rooms, I asked to be on top floor because often times I can hear the people walking on higher floors above me. I was not able to get a top floor but this was not a problem because I could not hear the people above me, but I could hear the people out in the hallway when they left their rooms, but there was not much foot traffic so I was not really disturbed about this. The bath towels were ok, one was a bit rough but the others were softer and absorbent, and the shampoo, soaps, etc. were rather pleasant smelling, some type of orange essence and it was not overpowering like some other hotel chains are. Overall I got a pretty decent night's rest and I feel the money was worth it. It was not a bad walk across the lot and security was visible on the property and parking lots for the most part so I felt rather safe walking the distance between the casino and the Inn.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Fanclub membership even if you do not use the casino, so you can get the lower room...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Eric E, Director of Hotel Operations at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for your positive comments from your most recent visit to the Isle of Capri. We have received great feedback on both our Tower and Inn hotel rooms. We have a room for any size party or budget and think of our guests as friends and family visiting for a night or two.

Our goal is to make the Isle of Capri your favorite place to stay and play and it looks like we are well on our way.

There are newer reviews for Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I used the Isle of Capri as a hotel rather than as a casino guest. This is a great choice for the business traveler looking for a deal in Lake Charles. There aren't a lot of hotels to choose from. I had intended to stay in the Inn but the desolate location made me think twice. I'd have had to walk across a large parking lot and road to get to the fitness center, which is located in the Tower, so I decided to stay in the Tower. The Tower is about $40 more than the Inn.

When checking in I asked for a quiet room. I was given a non-smoking room on the 10th floor. The room was great! It had a a massive tub in it and free wifi. However I think that the floor must have both smoking and non-smoking rooms because I smelled of smoke the following day. It's what one expects of a casino so I can't really complain. The rooms are not sound-proofed. I could hear doors slamming all night long. It wasn't that guests were loud, it was the design of the doors themselves. Still the rooms are spacious and comfortable.

The lobby had really poor air conditioning so I did not use the fitness center. I ate at the restaurant with the buffet breakfast. It was overpriced compared to Las Vegas casino buffets. I think it came to $9 in spite of misleading signs advertising $5 for members of some club. Once I got my food I had a bit of trouble getting drink service. I am sympathetic to the conditions of the service industry so I still tipped well. I sensed that the staff are either overworked or understaffed, A better bet than $10 for this breakfast buffet is to bring a bagel with you. There aren't any convenience stores in here or near here from what I can tell so plan accordingly. The other restaurants here looked like Applebee's (yuck). I would have spent money on dinner in one of them if they had looked nice.

Overall, I was surprised that the casino's ambiance was not more luxurious. The rooms were great compared to the casino and its restaurants, which were more like an amusement park and food-court. The rooms are also great compared to Hampton Inns and Marriott Courtyards. The fitness center looks excellent. For business travel this is a great deal.

If I were passing through again I'd stay in the Inn, not the Tower, and not leave my room. At $69/night you can't beat the price in Lake Charles. The amenities in the casino aren't worth the extra money or effort.

1  Thank vincenzas638

Thank you very much for your fantastic comments. We recently completed a $15 million remodel of our Tower rooms, fitness center, lobby and banquet rooms and have received amazing feedback from our hotel guests. Being a member of our Fan Club has its benefits, such as discounted rooms rates, preferred buffet pricing, happy hour promotions and awesome casino promotions. All you have to do is sign up at the Fan Club booth and use your card when you gamble in the casino on table games or slot machines.

Our goal is to make the Isle of Capri your favorite place to stay and play in Lake Charles and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I stayed at the Inn, not the tower. It was better than I expected. The lobby was clean, desk staff nice and courteous. Hallways were clean, elevators in good working order. Vending area was clean and stocked. Our room was actually much better than I thought. The bed was really comfortable, and we had plenty of pillows and towels. It was a non smoking room, and I actually did not smell smoke the way I do at other casino hotels. There was a ceiling fan, coffee maker, and not much else. Very no frills, but then we only paid $19 because of casino points. We had access to a pool, sauna, and hot tub in the tower, but I did not visit them. The casino was a few steps away.

For the casino itself, it was standard. Lots of slots, lots of card tables. Blackjack tables were full, which is a good sign. We didn't visit any of the restaurants or bars on site. At the casino itself, there was self service coffee, tea, soda, and water, and plenty of cocktail servers.

I would definitely return.

Room Tip: I feel like the tower rooms are nicer, but the Inn is great for cheap or free.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank littlebit0863

Thank you for your great comments about our rooms at the Inn at the Isle. We like to think of the Inn as a hidden gem here at the Isle of Capri. The rooms are so comfortable, you’re just a few steps or shuttle ride to the casino, and the room rate lets you stay and play on a budget. We also have nightly specials at Otis & Henry’s Bar and Grill, special Fan Club pricing at Calypso’s Buffet and big room discounts for both the Inn and the Tower with your player’s card.

Come to the Isle for fun in the casino and get a great rate when you stay in the hotel.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed at the hotel/casino on the getaway plan, good rates. Ask for the tower rooms, they are much better than the Inn. Rooms large, luxury linens, towels and decor. Comfortable beds
with nice pillows. The pool and hot tub are nice, however it does need more loungers and
seating. My only dislike was it was a bit overrun with children. Heading inside to gamble.
The slots are loose enough to keep you playing, I only play slots so not familiar with table
games. The casinos are smoking (I smoke) but the ventilation is very good so you are not
overwhelmed by the odor. The Buffett is pretty good, nice choices. For a great meal, try
Otis & Henry's nice atmosphere and service. The food is fabulous. Try the crab cakes, the chef has won awards for them. Steaks were tender and cooked to order, goes nicely with the bread which is baked fresh every day. It was a nice two days and will be going back soon.

Room Tip: Ask for Tower rooms overlooking the river and bridge. Nice view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your great comments. Our Tower renovation has been wildly popular, giving our hotel guests a surprise touch of luxury in the friendly confines of the Isle of Capri. Our Executive Chef has won awards for both the crab cakes and “wild game” gumbo, both of which should not be missed.

A great hotel room, amazing food and a winning streak in the casino is all you need for a memorable weekend here at the Isle of Capri.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Our room was gigantic, fabulously appointed, nice comfy bed...no complaints with the exception of the dirty bathroom floor and the bar soap provided. The floor was sticky in the bathroom area. The white bath cloth turned brownish black upon wiping it down. Also, for some reason, the unopened bar of soap in the shower make your skin smell very unpleasant which resulted in another quick shower to get the smell off. Tip, use your own soap and bring flip flops. It really was a nice place to stay and I would definitely stay again. We stayed in the tower which was a bit more expensive but worth.

Room Tip: Get a room in the tower!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Our newly remodeled Tower hotel rooms have been very well received. Our deluxe room is more than 600 square feet with a soaking tub, a king or two queen beds, HD TV, work desk and sitting area; and all of our rooms have free WiFi.

We pride ourselves on the consistent cleanliness of our hotel rooms and I am sorry that you experienced challenges with the in-room amenities. Your comments will be reviewed by our Housekeeping team to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Our goal is to make sure the Isle of Capri is your favorite place to stay and play in Lake Charles.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed at the Isle of Capri this Saturday night upon returning home from a Florida road trip. We found the place to be friendly and fun. The tower rooms are large, comfortable and very modern. The flat screen TV and large tubs are a great touch.

We didn't visit the pool during our trip, so we can't comment about that area.

We had a great dinner at the steakhouse and then had a great time gambling through the night. There is a great variety of machines and tables and the frequent player points and bonuses were generous. We had enough comps for the Sunday brunch which was very good and included a Bloody Mary bar, super prime rib, excellent fried chicken and crabs.

The isle of Capri is extremely well managed. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Thank you for a great trip. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Paul_Hutchens, General Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent overnight visit. We always enjoy learning that our efforts to provide a fun and friendly atmosphere are appreciated by our guests.

We hope to see you again soon.

Paul E. Hutchens
Vice President/General Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I actually play and stay there - I was tired one morning after playing on the boat. I was quickly comped a room in the tower - they also have an Inn off property about a block, I have not been there - very nice clean - amenities were appropriate.

Games are the usual but watch out for the 6-5 tables for blackjack. The single deck has too many rules -double down on 10-11 only limited splits 6-5 payouts not 3-2 - slots fluctuate tight and loose. Staff is generally friendly - They do cater to the locals rather heavily.

Buffet could be a little better - actually have a breakfast buffet. The Tradewinds a kinda snack bar with some ok choices but could be better. Hard to find out comp levels. Otis and Henry's Steakhouse is pretty decent. Beware mudbug season at the buffet the line goes on forever. If you don't know what mudbugs are read crawfish, you ain't from around here. Most of the southern style food is pretty good. Poker in the hold is decent long wait lists so call or go there first if you want to play may take hours to get on a table.

Ghetto? ok its smokey and cramped, especially week-ends, many locals and they warm up to you pretty quick. Just make sure you kind of know how to play or you'll get strange looks and advice from other players. It's a lot less expensive than the place across the lake. Driving from Baton Rouge beware the exit is at the base of the bridge on the west side and does a sharp U and it's not the best marked place on the interstate. Coming from Beaumont/Houston its the Westlake exit again not marked for Casino or Attraction very well.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Bill_C_06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westlake
Golden Nugget Hotel
Courtyard Lake Charles
#10 of 36 in Lake Charles
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lake Charles Casino Area
TownePlace Suites by Marriott Lake Charles

Been to Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles? Share your experiences!