“Don't believe the hype”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Westlake
Conroe, Texas, United States
“Don't believe the hype”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The Isle of Capri is on the river, but in a very industrial, flat-out ugly area just before the big bridge that goes to Lake Charles. Wee bit challenging to get to with all of the construction and road machinations. Stayed at the Tower in a Parlor Suite. Room was very dated, didn't look like the modern furniture, soft carpet, and decor on the website's picture, the little bar fridge didn't chill very well, but it was fairly large and clean. However, we couldn't keep the maid from compulsively reordering our toiletries in the bathroom when she cleaned, and she threw away my Daisy razor and the cap to my shave gel. I had left both on the little shelf in the shower. Annoying.

The dining options did not look appetizing, so we went into Lake Charles to eat. (Leonard's Food Quarters, hole-in-the-wall, but great Cajun fare.)

The casino hypes itself as the loosest slots in Lake Charles, and that is total bulltwinkie. We had stayed the night before at 7 Clans at Coushatta in Kinder and done very well with the slots there, but lost it all at Capri. Very tight machines. Plus, we couldn't even get a danged drink! Tried with two different hostesses and neither one came back, so we gave up and went to the self-serve stations for soda.

We checked out early and went on our way. Won't be back. If you are a couple looking for a romantic stay, don't stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river, or you may just get a view of construction, trucks, dirt, and equip...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ladyirishcharm
Jordana A, Guest Relations Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
We are sorry to hear that your room didn't meet your expectations. We strive to provide our guests with great experiences at our hotel and casino. We would like to talk with you more about your visit so we can figure out how we can make the next one better. If you have some time, please give us a call at 800-430-2300.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2014

The hotel was very clean and comfy. I had gotten the reservation on line and it was advertised with two free buffets and $10 fan play money. When I asked them for the $10 fan play money they told me it had been discontinued. I was referred to a "person" on the phone while at the register desk and he told me it was no longer offered someone forgot to delete it from the online ad. I told him that was one of the reasons I had booked the room there and I have the computer printout of the offer and he said well I am not there to see what you have. That ticked me off a bit so I said to him well I have one of your employees here standing in front of me and she can read it to you. He suttered a bit and said "let me talk with her". She asked me for the printout and read it to him over the phone. After much conversation back and forth he finally gave the registion person authorization to honor it. This was the only unpleasant part of that trip.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 520Norma
Jordana A, Guest Relations Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Hi Norma, we are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during check-in, but we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!
Atlanta
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here again for business. Nice hotel. The Inn has nice rooms and is clean. Great prices during the week. Restaurants on site (not the greatest food and long wait times), convenient to the interstate. Will return again.

Room Tip: I get a quiet room... high floor away from elevator.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We made a family trip to Lake Charles expressly for visiting Louisiana casinos we hadn't been to before. I had a players club card from the much smaller Isle of Capri in Natchez, Mississippi and brought it along for the trip. Having been to this location in Lake Charles, I now understand why people wrote negative reviews about the quaint little riverboat in Natchez. The Lake Charles facility is huge and packed with amenities. The covered parking garage had so many stories that it has apparently become a local tradition to watch fireworks from its rooftop judging from the mob scene we inadvertently encountered up there on July 4th. But I am getting bored with these gigantic tropical theme casino resorts. I am a slots player and when I see all this overkill decor it makes me seriously concerned about how tight the machines will be. I went to the players club at Lake Charles and after a long wait in line got a less than thrilling result from the host behind the desk. I already knew I wasn't a brand new customer to the chain itself. But I practically had to beg the guy to swipe my card and see if I had anything on my account or if they had any incentives because I was a first time visitor to the Lake Charles casino. Nothing at all. I felt quite unwelcome, especially when I boarded the boat and found my Natchez issued card didn't work in any of the Lake Charles machines. I went around to several different types with no success. I knew the card wasn't demagnetized because it worked on the host's computer and I was able to swipe it at the promotions kiosk. The slot attendant I showed this problem to simply told me to go back to the so-called Fan Club. Once again the line was very long so I gave up in disgust and left. One would have at least expected the host to be aware of this discrepancy and issue another card in the first place. Our next stop was L'Auberge where we were treated much more cordially by the staff. Unless the Isle of Capri sends us comps, it is extremely unlikely that we would return to their Lake Charles location in the future.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BuickMackane
Jordana A, Guest Relations Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
We apologize for the issue with your card and our staff. We strive to create an excellent customer experience for everybody. We would like to hear more about your visit so we can work towards a resolution. Please give us a call at 800-430-2300 when you have a chance. Thank you.
Dayton, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were greeted with no real explanation how we were bumped from the king bed we had reserved a week earlier for a 2-queen bed room. The room was nice enough it had uncommon short ceilings and a lousy shower that is mounted eye level on the wall with very little pressure. The package we opted for included $10 for gambling and the night clerk said that the promotion was over even though it was printed on our confirmation I had forgot to bring. She did write us up one and warned it would probably be no good. We took it to the casino and it was good. The next day I asked the day clerk and explained what had happened and she backed the night clerk claiming the promotion had ended. Nobody bothered to check the website, I don't know if they had a scam going on or what but something sure didn't pass the smell test they didn't want to give up the $10 for nothing. The breakfast buffet was very good, had to walk or drive to the casino across the parking lot if the weather is bad, no connection or shuttle offered. I've stayed at the Tower and the rooms are nicer and they have great showers but I wouldn't say they are $30 a night better. There was no noticeable cigarette smoke at the Inn at the Isle compared to the Tower Hotel so that is a plus for people that want to stay away from unwanted smoke/smell.

Room Tip: I could not get the king bed I had booked a week earlier so good luck getting any special request. I...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank DENNIS D
Jordana A, Guest Relations Manager at Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dennis,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the room inconvenience but appreciate the positive review.
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Not worth the money I paid.. ice machine loud. Room not insulated..manager don't know courtesy. It's just like staying at a motel..not recommended, there are much newer and nicer accommodations around...

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank T M
We are sorry to hear that your room didn't meet your expectations as we strive to provide an excellent experience at our hotel. We would like to hear more about your stay to learn how we can make your visit a much better one. Please give us a call at 800-430-2300. Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Westlake hotels

Green Cove Springs, Florida
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I stayed the night on our way back from Texas. We did not stay in the Tower. The room was nicer than I expected and the bathroom was ginormous. I didn't understand the phone by the comode however. The staff was very friendly. The food hot, even thorugh it was after 10pm when we ate. The only downside was teh view from the room was blocked, but since we weren't in teh room much except to sleep that was fine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kidsof3
Thanks so much for the kind review! We hope to have you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westlake
Golden Nugget Hotel
Hampton Inn Lake Charles
Hampton Inn Lake Charles
#4 of 34 in Lake Charles
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lake Charles Casino Area

Been to Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lake Charles? Share your experiences!