“A very negative experience overall”
Review of Ravenous Beastie

Ravenous Beastie
Fife, Scotland
“A very negative experience overall”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We made our first visit to this small cafe on Easter Monday. It looked quite cozy and inviting, and we were pleased to get the only available table. Service was slow as there was only one waitress, but we didn't mind too much as we weren't in a hurry. What we did mind however was the poor quality of what we eventually received. We had ordered two filter coffees, a goats cheese panini and a minute steak sandwich. The coffee was watery and tasteless; the minute steak was gristly and inedible. When the waitress collected our plates I pointed to the left over chunks of steak and said that it was 'gristly and not nice at all'. This produced zero response from the waitress; not even a token 'sorry about that' - she simply walked away.
There was no attempt at courtesies when we went to pay at the till, and needless to say no offer to deduct anything from our bill. Overall a very negative experience. We'll definitely go to a different cafe next time we are in South Queensferry - there are plenty of other options to choose from.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Travel-Lightbeam
Cookie065, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Dear Travel- lightbeam, Firstly I'd like to apologies for your experience in Ravenous Beastie on Easter Monday. Most defineatly not the experience we strive to provide for our customers. Thank you for taking into consideration how busy we were in the afternoon, however there is no excuse for the bad service you recieved. Sometimes "things" go wrong no matter how hard we try to aviod them but by all acounts you did not recieve the appropriate reponce from the waiting staff on duty. I was not aware of the experience you had until recieving this review. For that reason I thank you, it allows me to investigate and get to the bottom of it.
I would like to apologies and assure you that I will be having a meeting with the member of staff involved. Defineatly does not sound like someone I want to be representing Ravenous Beastie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
leeds
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

Popped in after a wedding the night before and was extremely hungover! The owner was lovely it was almost like we were her kids when she was running through the breakfast options, there was of course only one option for moi a full Scottish which hit the spot, my partner had a bacon roll which she enjoyed, service was good and the young lad who looked after us when the owner left was polite and helpful. We would have a breakfast in here again if in the area.

• Stayed January 2013
Cookie065, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this review, 10 January 2013
Thank you for your comments, I remember you both and your comments are much appreciated.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Ravenous Beastie is locate in Queensferry approx 10 miles from Edinburgh city centre. It has great bus connections to and from the city cositng only £2.70 adult return and takes approx 25mins each way.
The bed and breakfast itself has 5 letting rooms and this review relates to room 5 only which is a family room that can sleep upto 5 persons, one double bed, two single and a pull out.
Room 5 is located on the first floor at the front of the b&b and has a sash window overlooking the high street, my problem with this is there is no sound proofing from the noise outside, for a small village the amount of trafic going past the b&b is unbelieveable right through to the early hours of the morning and also people coming out of the pubs at night you can here every word they say, recommend secondary double glazing?.
The sleeping arrangements were ok apart from the double bed could do with a new mattress as the one there when we stayed was poor.
Everything else was great, hot shower(althought a little weak) large clean bathroom, great breakfast and wonderfull hospatility.
This if an ok b&b for a couple of nights and if i had to go back i would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the front if possible.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Troy H
Cookie065, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Thank you for your comments. They are gratefully appreciated. As I do not very often use the bedrooms myself, although I do have guest's who request this room in particular, on a weekly bases, unless I hear other guest's point of view, I can only assume all is well. All beds were fitted with either memory foam or duck down,high quality mattress toppers within the last 7 months, but I am glad I have recieved anothers point of view. I shall certainly take notice and address.
As the building is B listed I have not managed to aquire planning permission to fit double glazing, but I am still looking into an alternate sollution. It use to be a quiet road until new cobbled sets were laid on the High St and I have noticed the noise of the cars driving over them. Once again it does not bother a few our regular guest's. Another solution to find, I guess.
I would like to point out that there is an increase in volume of people staying in South Queensferry over the weekend, either attending weddings venues / functions situated in the High St, which accentuates nad sometimes is the main cause of the extra noise. All right if your one of the guest's involved, I guess. Thank you once again for your comments
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Spent a night here breaking the journey from St Andrews to Cairnryan when I couldn't find a B&B in St Andrews for love nor money. I wanted to love the Ravenous Beastie for the name and location and did to some degree. It could be a classic and is within touching distance.The room was clean and the bed great; the bathroom was super. The landlady was welcoming and cheerful. Had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was good although perhaps the waitress had a wee snooze while I was waiting. Good porridge and a reasonable approximation to the incomparable Ulster fry - at least there was no abomination - baked beans.

Unless you arrive at just the right moment, there's no easy parking on street. I ws lucky to find a wee spot in the lane down to the harbour just across the road. I think there's some not too far away but I don't know where.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Could be road noise as there's no double glazing but the area doesn't seem to be a late nigh...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank UlsterFryNo1
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed one night in June 2012. Arrived just after 6 p.m. and landlady was about to leave, so beware if late arrival. Lovely welcome and room clean and tidy. For evening meal, lots of suggestions of takeaways, which was very helpful, but not what I was expecting.Taxi from Edinburgh Airport was £22 so factor that into the cost.
South Queensferry is a lovely little spot, very safe for single travellers,Llovely view of Forth Rail Bridge, great photo opportunities. Would recommend for location and village, but be prepared for the B&B without evening meals, lounge etc..
Breakfast was very nice, enjoyed the coffee and staff very helpful.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 186220Chris
Gorebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Excellent and tranquil location, easily reached from Edinburgh Airport of Edinburgh City both about 20-25 minutes way. Accomodation was beautiful and great views of the Forth Bridges, we were well looked after and would definately recommend and visit again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clansman2601
scotland
Reviewed 17 March 2012

stayed for one night and it was excellent. the owner was luvly and very helpful breakfast was brill

• Stayed March 2012
West End
West End Hotel
West End Hotel
#100 of 392 in Edinburgh

Been to Ravenous Beastie? Share your experiences!