“Well worth the visit”
Review of Dalmeny House

Dalmeny House
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I was out on my own and decided to walk to Dalmeny House from the Train Station. Here's some advice: Don't use Google Maps to find this place!
On my return (after getting horribly lost on the way to the house), I determined that the best way to get to Dalmeny house from the train is to take a shortcut through a wooded area near the station which takes you down 120+ steps near the Hawes Restaurant back parking lot (in South Queensferry). Just walk along that main road, up the hill away from S. Queensferry,. The road is bordered by a stone wall on the firth side which runs the entire way until you get to Dalmeny house where the sign and entrance will be on your left. It is another 1.6 miles down the drive to the house, where you actually walk right along the sheep and the grouse.

The house is only open two months out of the year, and for only 3 hours on Sun through Wednesday. The family still lives in the house so the visiting hours are minimal.
The tour only goes through a few rooms, but the collections in them are amazing. I had a wonderful tour guide who highlighted all of the important features of the house, including the history of the owners, and the vast collections that were inherited by the Rothbury connection.
Absolutely amazing.
The final room of the tour is the dining room, which overlooks the firth for a lovely view. Since the tea room was closed due to water damage, I was asked if I would enjoy a cup of complimentary tea. I thought that was a wonderful idea, and I was surprised to receive a cup of tea long with some fabulous home baked tea breads for my enjoyment only, since I was the lone guest remaining. Wonderful hospitality!

5  Thank geismom

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We arrived early and walked along the beach and had a picnic. It was so peaceful and lovely looking out over the Forth.
We joined the 2.15pm tour of the house. This was very good and informal with a very interesting guide ending with a cup of tea in the dining room. We then were able to wander freely in the ground floor of the house.
Lovely house beautifully kept and lived in by the owners.

3  Thank scottie8scotlans
Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

A great big old country house surrounded by huge gardens and grounds. Made me dream a bit about being lord of the manor.

2  Thank BritBangkok
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Beautiful gardens beautiful house. Staff here are very willing to help you in anyway they can. We had four children with us and they all had a a great day from 4 years old up too 11 and not one of them got board. We had a great time even just walking around the grounds so pretty even in February

3  Thank Thinking_of_y0u
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This is a great place to visit. The grounds are massive which i am led to believe are open most of the year. We had a nice walk through the park which takes you all the way to South Queensferry.
Dalmeny House is only open Sunday, Monday & Tuesday from June to August as the Roseberry family still live there. Great tour of the house which was reasonable at £6.00 each. Tea room does some great cakes & not too dear either.

There is also Barnbungle Castle which you can't get to but can see to get a great picture with the camera. Some nice beaches to walk along as well.

2  Thank EdinburghChaz