“beautiful estate, perfect for an afternoon walk”
Review of Dalmeny House

Dalmeny House
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Beautiful place for good walk. Has a fab beach which appears to be somewhat of a secret! Perfect spots to take a picnic and enjoy the views.

3  Thank AnnJamieson
in 4 reviews
"shore"
"edinburgh"

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Lovely and really interesting house, but the tearoom is such a major disappointment! We arrived on yet another sunny afternoon, and were desperate for a cuppa to revive us, but the tearoom was so dismal, drab, dark and old-fashioned. Tea and coffee were the only hot drinks - if you want cappuccino, latte, Earl Grey etc., forget it, just standard tea and coffee on offer here. But the shock were the cold drinks - wait for it - water or diet Coke!! We just couldn't believe it! Only three cakes on offer too, perhaps reasonable considering they don't get a lot of passing trade. Oh dear Dalmeny House, time to get along to Hopetoun House to see how it really should be done!

1  Thank Edinburgh F
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I was out on my own and decided to walk to Dalmeny House from the Train Station. Here's some advice: Don't use Google Maps to find this place!
On my return (after getting horribly lost on the way to the house), I determined that the best way to get to Dalmeny house from the train is to take a shortcut through a wooded area near the station which takes you down 120+ steps near the Hawes Restaurant back parking lot (in South Queensferry). Just walk along that main road, up the hill away from S. Queensferry,. The road is bordered by a stone wall on the firth side which runs the entire way until you get to Dalmeny house where the sign and entrance will be on your left. It is another 1.6 miles down the drive to the house, where you actually walk right along the sheep and the grouse.

The house is only open two months out of the year, and for only 3 hours on Sun through Wednesday. The family still lives in the house so the visiting hours are minimal.
The tour only goes through a few rooms, but the collections in them are amazing. I had a wonderful tour guide who highlighted all of the important features of the house, including the history of the owners, and the vast collections that were inherited by the Rothbury connection.
Absolutely amazing.
The final room of the tour is the dining room, which overlooks the firth for a lovely view. Since the tea room was closed due to water damage, I was asked if I would enjoy a cup of complimentary tea. I thought that was a wonderful idea, and I was surprised to receive a cup of tea long with some fabulous home baked tea breads for my enjoyment only, since I was the lone guest remaining. Wonderful hospitality!

5  Thank geismom
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We arrived early and walked along the beach and had a picnic. It was so peaceful and lovely looking out over the Forth.
We joined the 2.15pm tour of the house. This was very good and informal with a very interesting guide ending with a cup of tea in the dining room. We then were able to wander freely in the ground floor of the house.
Lovely house beautifully kept and lived in by the owners.

3  Thank scottie8scotlans