“Amazing place!”
Review of Dundas Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Queensferry
Dundas Castle
London
“Amazing place!”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed here on Saturday night for a wedding - it was a stunning venue! We were made to feel very welcome the minute we arrived and the staff helped to set everything up so that it was just as the bride wanted. The Keep is a beautiful room for the wedding ceremony and the rest of the castle is a lovely setting. The wedding breakfast and breakfast the next morning were of a very high quality, probably the best wedding food that I have had given the 6 course tasting menu that was served up for 60 people!
The bedrooms were very luxurious (but not modern) - there was complimentary Whiskey, Penghaligons toiletries. I stayed in the Summer room which was very big and could sleep a family as one bedroom is separate. My only issues were the temperature as there were electric radiators so it tended to be very hot or too cold, the wifi signal wasn't great and the beds were a little firm for my liking. However I would def recommend a wedding/stay at this castle!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I visited the Castle for a car event, at which time my daughter was 14.
I took a brochure for their weddings and gave it to my daughter, as a joke, as I thought!!
When she came to arrange her wedding,many years later, this was the only venue she would consider, only myself to blame, I suppose!!
The staff were wonderful in the planing process, and when it came to the wedding,it was magical!!
From the use of the Castle to the wedding in the Keep,everything went like clockwork!
The reception in the evening was excellent, with the guests arriving to a drinks reception in the castle,prior to the main event in the marque.
The beating the retreat by Lothian and Borders Police Pipe Band was the icing on the cake!
A truly memorable occasion, which is still talked about!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Snowgoose20
Iloilo City, Philippines
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I wanted my husband's 60th Birthday to be Special and Memorable! and DUNDAS CASTLE was the PERFECT CHOICE. I had to plan everything through email as we are working overseas. From my first contact with Morvern, i had the feeling that i was in good hands. Everything i wanted to do, she clearly understood and we were exchanging emails from November. I finally met her for the first time 2 weeks before the event and she made me feel like we knew each other forever!! The next meeting i had was with Ricarda, the day before the function, she did a fantastic job in making sure everything went as planned. TWO meetings was all it took for the PERFECT WEEKEND CELEBRATION. 21 family members checked in friday afternoon and everyone was in awe of their bedrooms. From then on, everything happened like " A FAIRYTALE WEEKEND". We were all transformed into princes and princesses as everyone was treated like a royalty.. The ENTIRE staff were just amazing. They do not hover around but they just seem to appear when you needed them. All the entertainment left everyone speechless. My husband is still trying to take it all in until now.!! Thank you Dundas for making my wish come true for my beloved. Needless to say " we will be back!!"

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 15 February 2013

My daughter was married here in Jan 2013. From the time they contacted Dundas until we left the morning after the wedding the experience was an absolute joy. Staff were helpful, courteous, couldn't do enough, and their suggestions and advice sorted out any issues without any hassle. From the day before the wedding when we turned up for the rehearsal etc staff supported, helped with nerves and everything we needed! The day was perfection itself, venue, food, entertainment all went well due to the calm but excellent facilitation of the duty manager and his team. Nothing was too much trouble. Lord Jack and Lady Lydia even plant a rose bush in the garden to remember the happy couple. Doesn't get more personal than that!

• Stayed January 2013
milton keynes
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We went to a wedding here and stayed the night, OMG, it was amazing! The best setting for a wedding ever. It was beautiful, the staff amazing and rooms incredible! if you get the chance stay, we had Spring room and the bath was huge! Loved every minute

Room Tip: Any they are all amazing
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
scotland
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We didn't stay over but attended a good friend's wedding at Dundas Castle. The castle is beautiful but not overwhelming as it retains a homely feel (oh how I wish it were MY home!). Some of us arrived early and were told to make ourselves comfortable in the drawing room before being offered drinks from a small bar set up in the lobby.
The ceremony was in the Auld Keep and I had been told of the winding stone staircase up to the tower room. Being a little unstable on my feet due to disability I was wary but the staff were very sweet and most courteous and discretly allowed me extra time to mount the stairs (which weren't actually too bad).
The cake was cut back in the lobby with the couple entering down a huge,grand wood panelled stairway..again staff were very attentive with drinks.
The meal and evening reception was held in the pavillion in the grounds...despite being a purpose built venue it too looked very special. The food was amazing and the staff were co-ordinated with the utmost precision..so so efficient.
Members of the bridal party staying over said the bedrooms were huge and very sumptious.
A very happy day...made even better by outstanding venue & service.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank littlelou1975
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We got married at Dundas Castle on an unusually hot and sunny day in Scotland in July 2011, after getting engaged in the Keep a year before. It was truly the best day ever and this is largely due to the wonderful staff and service we received from our very first visit, right up to our wedding day.

On our first visit, as we neared the top of the driveway, the sight of the Castle was spectacular and we knew it would be the place we said I do. It is certainly not the cheapest wedding venue around but worth every single penny.

We wanted to keep our wedding within the beautiful castle building and had 60 guests, so we really had the feeling of having the Castle to ourselves for the day and night. We were told from the start, "treat it as your home for the day," and that is exactly how it felt. The welcome was fantastic for all our guests and those who stayed overnight thought it was the most wonderful experience. All of the downstairs rooms are exquisite and were a great place for our guests to take shelter from the glorious sunshine and enjoy a piece of wedding cake and a chat together. The amazing staircase featured in a lot of our pictures and the bedrooms were 5 star standard. The bathrooms deserve a separate mention - they are huge, the water pressure is immense and serve as an amazing place to get ready for a big day.

The Keep held a special place in our heart as we got engaged there but it looked stunning on the day with very little addition other than a small amount of flowers and candles. Our guests absolutely loved it and we made full use of it by having drinks after the ceremony in the armour room, pictures on the top and breakfast in the stag chamber at the bottom, the morning after.

The service throughout the day was seemless and so unintrusive. Our glass was always full and we were guided to the right place at the right time sensitively without intruding on personal moments, allowing the day to run like clockwork. It was completely stress free for the whole wedding party and nothing was to much to ask. A particular mention goes to Ricardo, who went out of her way to make sure that everything ran smoothly.

We have some wonderful memories of a magical day in a spectacular venue and we hope to return one day to spend our anniversary in the Boathouse on the lake.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Melville Castle
#2 of 3 in Dalkeith
The Queensferry Hotel
#1 of 1 in North Queensferry

Been to Dundas Castle? Share your experiences!