“Simply gorgeous”
Review of Dundas Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Queensferry
Dundas Castle
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We attended my best friends wedding in January this year and was stunned about how perfect the day was. The grounds are stunning, the staff are very on the ball and well mannered. The wedding breakfast was in the pavilion and the food was outstanding. Everywhere was spotless, it was undoubtedly the best wedding I've been to.
Even the next day when we found out we had left a jacket there, the staff were more than happy to help.
I would recommend to anyone who is getting married or having a party.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
DundasCastle, Manager at Dundas Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Hi Lauren,

Thank you so much for leaving a comment with us. It is always exciting when your best friend gets married and we are so happy that we didnt disappoint(!) and that we helped you have a wonderful time! We hope that you still have lots of fantastic memories from your day and that you and your friend can talk about it for years to come.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Well worth a visit this is a beautiful place excellent staff mannersand food will defo visit again in the future nothing ever a problem staff always on hand polite and well mannered................. cant wait for another outing here

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank fabbydabi

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're delighted that you had a wonderful time and yes, it would be lovely to see you here again!

With kind regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I recently attended a wedding at the castle and would advise anyone to consider Dundas as an option... The staff were professional, the service was excellent and the surroundings were nothing short of breathtaking.

Whilst I can't fault the venue for an event, I couldn't be so complimentary about my overnight stay. There are two sides to this; if you're staying in the castle you will undoubtedly feel happier with your choice, if you're staying in the courtyard (the old stables) you'll feel less than pleased. I paid £275 for one night in a room which was a kin to a premier travelodge. It was small, cramped and in no way provided you the luxury or historical feel you would recieve were you in the main castle... As my room had been reserved for me through the wedding party I had no option of screening the room, I mistakenly presumed I would be surrounded by suits of armour, tartan and all of the rich history Dundas posseses. I was very wrong.

I later discovered that my room had in fact cost the same as the rooms in the main building which only futhered my disappointment. It's also worth noting that regardless of the room you decide to stay in, you will be herded out of the castle the following morning - 0930 in our case. As we were only allowed to check in at 1130 and naturally went straight into wedding mode, the time to 'enjoy' our room was virtually non-existant.

A fantastic venue for a wedding and the staff at Dundas will make it a truly memorable experience, but for an overnight stay, I would suggest booking The Dakota which is just 5 minutes away.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms in the main castle but avoid the rooms in the stable.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank 501miles
DundasCastle, Manager at Dundas Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we are delighted that you enjoyed the wedding that you attended at the Castle but are sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with your overnight stay.

We are surprised to hear that you were not enamoured with your bedroom, especially as our two new bedrooms in the Courtyard Cottage area have recently been created and decorated personally by Lady Lydia who designed the spectacular interiors throughout the entire Castle. The cosy, ‘country house’ feel of the Courtyard Cottage is often enjoyed as a contrast to the historic opulence of the main house and both can be appreciated by those staying in the Courtyard area of the Castle.

The cost of the bedrooms are the same throughout the entire building as this includes the overall experience of staying in the 5-star venue. As we are an ‘exclusive use’ venue, the use of the Castle and reception rooms, along with the enjoyment of using the nightcap bar after the event, is something that cannot be appreciated unless you are a guest of Dundas. The Courtyard Cottage area offers 2 sitting rooms for guests to enjoy along with the reception rooms on offer to those staying in the house. We often find that guests in the Courtyard enjoy using the private seating area as an extension of their bedroom to offer even more space. It is a shame that you felt rushed in the morning; usually our guests are so eager to partake in our revered Scottish breakfast, that they arrive early to make the most of their morning before checking out at 10.30!

Reviewed 29 June 2013

My daughter and son in law had their wedding here. A fairytale setting. House and grounds are both spectacular. The staff are efficient professional but also friendly. The operations manager, Ben was excellent.

We were not staying at the castle but had rooms for both the bride's and groom's parties to change in. The rooms were very large and beatifully furnished. The wedding service was in the Old Keep which looked fabulous when decorated by the florist with hundreds of candles. The stone spiral staircase up to the ceremony room was quite challenging for the elderly guests ...and those in killer heels!

The meal and evening reception was held in the Pavillion. Plenty of space and well set up. The meal which was provided by the only caterers the castle uses, was top class and complimented by many of the guests.

The only negative to this fabulous day was having to clear the rooms used for changing at the end of the night. Rather inconvenient

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank carol r
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed here on Saturday night for a wedding - it was a stunning venue! We were made to feel very welcome the minute we arrived and the staff helped to set everything up so that it was just as the bride wanted. The Keep is a beautiful room for the wedding ceremony and the rest of the castle is a lovely setting. The wedding breakfast and breakfast the next morning were of a very high quality, probably the best wedding food that I have had given the 6 course tasting menu that was served up for 60 people!
The bedrooms were very luxurious (but not modern) - there was complimentary Whiskey, Penghaligons toiletries. I stayed in the Summer room which was very big and could sleep a family as one bedroom is separate. My only issues were the temperature as there were electric radiators so it tended to be very hot or too cold, the wifi signal wasn't great and the beds were a little firm for my liking. However I would def recommend a wedding/stay at this castle!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I visited the Castle for a car event, at which time my daughter was 14.
I took a brochure for their weddings and gave it to my daughter, as a joke, as I thought!!
When she came to arrange her wedding,many years later, this was the only venue she would consider, only myself to blame, I suppose!!
The staff were wonderful in the planing process, and when it came to the wedding,it was magical!!
From the use of the Castle to the wedding in the Keep,everything went like clockwork!
The reception in the evening was excellent, with the guests arriving to a drinks reception in the castle,prior to the main event in the marque.
The beating the retreat by Lothian and Borders Police Pipe Band was the icing on the cake!
A truly memorable occasion, which is still talked about!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Snowgoose20
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I wanted my husband's 60th Birthday to be Special and Memorable! and DUNDAS CASTLE was the PERFECT CHOICE. I had to plan everything through email as we are working overseas. From my first contact with Morvern, i had the feeling that i was in good hands. Everything i wanted to do, she clearly understood and we were exchanging emails from November. I finally met her for the first time 2 weeks before the event and she made me feel like we knew each other forever!! The next meeting i had was with Ricarda, the day before the function, she did a fantastic job in making sure everything went as planned. TWO meetings was all it took for the PERFECT WEEKEND CELEBRATION. 21 family members checked in friday afternoon and everyone was in awe of their bedrooms. From then on, everything happened like " A FAIRYTALE WEEKEND". We were all transformed into princes and princesses as everyone was treated like a royalty.. The ENTIRE staff were just amazing. They do not hover around but they just seem to appear when you needed them. All the entertainment left everyone speechless. My husband is still trying to take it all in until now.!! Thank you Dundas for making my wish come true for my beloved. Needless to say " we will be back!!"

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
Stockbridge & Dean Village
The Raeburn
The Raeburn
#2 of 151 in Edinburgh
Premier Inn Edinburgh (South Que...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
West End
The Chester Residence
The Chester Residence
#1 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dundas Castle? Share your experiences!